Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Office backup to home

by wwilsonxp / December 24, 2008 10:03 AM PST

I already have my office server going with a backup computer. I would like the backup computer(from the office) to automatically send the backup it has just made to my house computer (either daily or once every 2 days). But i don't know of any way to do this or of any software that would take care of this. I use acronis true image at the office. Any recommendations? The computer at home will just hold backups not use them. Any recommendations would be great!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Office backup to home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Office backup to home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's the OS of the backup computer.
by Kees Bakker / December 24, 2008 8:00 PM PST
In reply to: Office backup to home

Like Windows Server 2008 or Ubuntu Linux? You should use the standard OS tools and available utitities here, as far as possible.
And what exactly is the backup? Just a copy of all files in a certain folder (and subfolders)? Or one file in a proprietary format of the backup program?

Kees

PS.
Did you even consider using the commercial off-site backup services. They have programs that backup your data to a site somewhere on the internet. That's rather safe also.

Collapse -
info
by wwilsonxp / December 24, 2008 8:27 PM PST

The backup computer thats in the office is just a regular windows xp pro sp3 and i wanted to just backup just one file that the backup program makes. I was thinking about using one of those backup websites but i feel more comfortable with my backup in my own hands.

Collapse -
Other options.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 8:35 PM PST
In reply to: info

If it is just one file, then the easiest options seem to be;

1] Send the file as an attachment to the email address you use at home. Then you have a copy.

2] Copy the file to a CD/DVD, or a USB flash drive, and take that home.

If the file holds sensitive data then I would discount 1, and also for that matter discount storing it on some web site resource.

Is there any reason why either of those two cannot work?

Mark

Collapse -
back up size
by wwilsonxp / December 25, 2008 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: Other options.

Basically the convenice of having automatic backup would be nice. I was thinking about using dropbox but the backup size is about 15gb. I was really avoiding a flash drive okay because i lose it all the time and i'm afraid if the data falls into the wrong hands i'm in big trouble.

Collapse -
You can't mail ...
by Kees Bakker / December 25, 2008 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: back up size

15 Gb. So it's up to you to configure a webserver and do a download to your home PC using your browser. Or an ftp-server and use any ftp-client.

Still, you'll need a fast broadband connection, both at work and at home to make it feasible. Let's do the math. Say you've got a 10 Mb/second connection. That's 1,2 MB/second. 15 Gb then takes 3:20 hours. If you've got a 5 Mb/second connection, it's 6:40.

It won't be difficult to automate a batch ftp on your home PC, using a task scheduler and a batch file.

Somehow, I think this isn't a very good idea to do it like this. What you would need is an incremental backup (only backup the changes).

Kees

Collapse -
At 15GB let's hope that not needed daily.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2008 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: Office backup to home

Most ISPs will invoke a limit so let's call it that you only change so much per day. Any decent sync software will find and only update the changed files.

SYNCBACK does this over the internet to any number of 'servers' you could deploy.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?