Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Office 97 Page View Panic

by yawni / November 21, 2004 9:23 PM PST

Hi!Help!
I have a legal pleading to finish drafting and serve today and having upgraded to office 97, recently, I don't know why some of my files containing research and citations show all these master page type symbols, e.g. paragraph symbols and formatting thingies...I can't copy my quotations to the pleading without corrupting the text. How do I get rid of this stuff? View changes don't work. Undoing typing, or redoing key doesn't work. I can't seem to find where I might have formatted something by accident. What should I do? Help! Any suggestions? 5:30 am Thanks -Yawni- emergency!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Office 97 Page View Panic
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Office 97 Page View Panic
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Office 97 Page View Panic
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2004 9:37 PM PST

It seems to me that Office 97 is now well past 7 years old and to have just upgraded to such, you would have been using such for many years. Something is missing from your story such as you were using WordPerfect and for such a change you may want to go back to working and familiar software until you have the time to learn this very old software.

In closing, is your install complete with that "pleading wizard"? And why is this a Windows 95/98 Operating System issue and not posted in the Microsoft Office Forum? Why I ask is that nothing in your post tells of an OS issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Office 97 Page View Panic
by yawni / November 21, 2004 11:48 PM PST

Yeah Bob:
You're correct...I posted here by mistake...Thought I was drafting somewhere for a new post at the office forum ...and hit "send" or whatever too quickly. My next post at the office forum apologizes and asks how to remove or relocate something after posting...no ans yet...

...but thanks for your rapid reply...and by the way I've been using MS Office 95 Standard for 4 years; and still don't know much about formatting on that software. I was going crazy with freezes, hangs, crashes, bizaar apparitions on my old PC until I got tired of everyone giving me their original bit of advice on what was wrong...so I built my own unit :
P-4 1.6 ghz, 256 Ram, etc. and bought a licensed win98Se OS , figuring that the folks "helping" me work on my PC were putting in bootleg stuff...exposing me to the internet organizimacallems...and I'd just go legit...It ran perfectly with win98 non stop for 2 years...then, the "system resources" limitation on win98 didn't justify adding more Ram- but I could still surf tolerably and just hung on to my old stuff ...figuring "don't mess with success and who's writing virus programs for win98 anyway (I'll just fly under the radar)...until I got a hankerin' to upgrade my Hardware and bought a P-4 3.0 with HT 512 Ram, a DVD (I still haven't burned a CD yet on my old sys but what the hay...), Intel mobo, onboard graphics/video and audio...screech...my old win98 cd wasn't loadin' like it should ...missing files...I didn't like the intel board oem...no instructions for shoe cobblers like myself ...MSI coddled you along on installation...+ driver problems with intel, some funky software quirks with their adapters and my win98 OS dictated upgrade... to full version XP...I can't remember what the deal was with office 95, maybe some word files weren't converting (+no more support at MS) so, I popped in my Office 97 Pro CD I've had for years...and it worked greatuntil, now, that I have a bucket load of work to finish today (yesterday)...my new CPU is hitting 60 degrees C and Office Pro poops out...So, you guys were the first forum I hit and I was still registered...therefore, in a panic I plunked out my distress message and hit "fly"...so, that's the whole story...and the message is, if anyone in this "neck o' th' woods forum" using win95/98 happens to be perusing the posts for nuggets or golden bits of advice, or need a moral to this story: I was a hold out and still have my old hard drive serially attached (slave) with win98 OS onboardm, which XP reads just fine...If you're stuck with your 95/98 for financial reasons...go out and build your next computer..if I can do it anyone can do it...have someone show you what a modem is and how to replace your ram (guard against static and unplug), then, just wait until you can get up about $500 and go for it !!!! It's time...and you can build yourself a state of the art PC screamer selling at $1500 to $2000 for about $500...(right Bob?) use your old OS win98, if you want...to get 'er goin'...or maybe save a little more and spend a little less ...and get more bang for your buck... with the AMD 64 chip and MSI Mobo...Well, anyway I imagine that this place will be a cobweb site by the next time I stop by for a visit...so good luck you all (y'all for Texans) Hope I answered your query, Bob, and inspired someone to improve his/her life just a bit...and they'll do the same ...and ...so on...and so on...and Thanx Again, Bob, and by the way...any idea on what's wrong with my office 97 formatting? -yawni-

Collapse -
That's a clear picture.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 1:01 AM PST

That explains it a lot and for which I want to offer a few items...

1. There is a common Word problem where an error message will appear about resources and Word may just crash. The 'usual' cure is to delete the NORMAL.DOT file and try again.

2. There was a pleading wizard in Word 97. Here's a few articles about it -> http://www.google.com/search?&q=+site:support.microsoft.com+WD97+PLEADING

As you can see, you may have hunt down the post SR1 patch to Office 97 to get it to work proper.

3. I wonder if this machine has the printer driver installed plus it set to the default printer. If not, pleadings tend to stress the machine's owner.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Dr Bobs Knowledge Base
by yawni / November 24, 2004 8:39 AM PST

Your comment "...tends to stress the machine's owner" sure caught my attention! ...and hit the nail right on the head...

The preface to my "clear picture" which launched me on my quest to slay the demons and dragons plagueing me and my pc, and, finally to build my own machine, was near mental and physical breakdown from the "stress" of these anomilies appearing on my screen and in my dreams.

The pleading wizard was not incl. with Office Standard 95 and I think it was omitted in Office 97 Standard (?)and Pro, if I'm not mistaken.

My fix, then, was to download the Wizard (using Win98se, Office 95))use the legal template to start,then, copy each completed doc-erase the text-and start all over with the legal 28 numbered line blank.

As indicated, I finally built my first machine 2 years ago and started with a fresh licensed version of win98se, which served me well until I built my current machine and bought a new licensed XP operating system after experiencing some missing file problems on the boot up from my 98 cd.

Next, as mentioned, due to some "anomilies" with Office 95, I decided to chance popping in the old Office 97 collecting dust for years; and I was doing fine until the "anomilies" and "apparations" began to resurface and my "APB" for "pc ghostbusters" was answered by yourself.

My own mental recovery began to take place when I first discovered the collection of misfits, demons, anomalies, and apparitions collected by Microsoft, captured, and coralled in their Knowledge Base at their website on the internet! What a relief! Maybe I wasn't as crazy as I thought I was! Microsoft was making programming errors-what a revelation! My epiphony!

I surmised, at first, that the "oversight" with the legal pleading wizard was Mr. Gates' personal distain for lawyers attributable to his legal problems....but not wanting to start any rumors or adverse folklore about his emminence I never mentioned it again and have no reason to pursue my suspicions...and being thankful that I have a computer to use in any event.

So, my thanks to you for, again, reminding me that this whole computer revolution is a process requiring some attention to the developments, updates, and progress being made. We all have an obligation and opportunity to participate.

I have downloaded the patches (sp1 and sp2) for Office 97 and installed them. I doubt that the Court will have much sympathy for my tardiness and travails but I am just now returning to my work and will let you know how things went. I'll just say, thanks, again, for your assistance, Dr. Bob. Best wishes.

-yawni-

P-4 3.0 HT; 512 DDR RAM; Intel MoBo.; 90 ghz 7200rpm(master)HD,60 ghz 7200rpm (slave) HD (old stored files using win98se and Off 95); 300 Watt PS; on board audio and video; DVD/CD combo and CDRW; DSL; IE 6.0; XP OS (Disklite defrag, Adaware, AVG anti-v, Off 97 Pro, etc.)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!