Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Office 97

by oneclick / February 27, 2007 5:09 AM PST

Can I load Office 97 on Vista?
I know it's old, but I paid for it and it still works for me.

Thanx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Office 97
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Office 97
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: Office 97
Collapse -
I also had problems with Office 97 on Vista. Maybe it's ?
by Dan Dalrymple / March 5, 2007 12:16 AM PST

I also had problems with Office 97 on Vista. Maybe it's

Question: Is it because a trial version of MS Office 2003 was included with my Dell E1405 notebook? I don't really need Office 2003, my Office 97 is just fine for my use. Office 97 worked fine in my old Toshiba running Win XP home. Too bad my old Toshiba crashed . . .

Office 97 seemed to install, showed up in my "Start/All Programs" directory but I couldn't seem to access it. Office 2003 is there too, but I'm sure that Microsoft will want more $$ to access 2003 permanantly. My new Dell came with Vista installed, should I go back to XP Home?

I wonder what would have happened if I had purchased the new laptop with the XP Home with the free upgrade to Vista, installed the Office 97 in the XP, then upgraded to the Vista?

Really don't want to go back to XP Home, but also don't need to upgrade my Office 97 to 2003. I don't even use all the features of 97, but like the spell check!

Collapse -
does it do this...

When you try to open an office 97 application, like a word document, does the office 2003 window pop-up asking for activation or installation? If so, try uninstalling office 2003. The application links itself to office 2003, instead of office 97. I had office 2003 on my notebook running xp. I then installed office 97 and it installed fine. then when i tried to open a document, office 2003 pops up asking to activate or something. I uninstalled the trial version of office 2003 and office 97 works perfectly fine on XP.

I haven't installed office 97 on my vista computer. I'm expecting Office Professional 2003 to arrive in a couples of day. It comes with a license for Office Professional 2007 so I could upgrade it later for a small fee, less than $20. Best of all, it cost me less than $100 for Office professional 2003 with the 2007 license. Happy

Collapse -
Exactly the cure for my problem . . . Thanks
by Dan Dalrymple / March 7, 2007 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: does it do this...

Hello deeppolverizingkidd,

You asked: "When you try to open an office 97 application, like a word document, does the office 2003 window pop-up asking for activation or installation? If so, try uninstalling office 2003. The application links itself to office 2003, instead of office 97."

That was EXACTLY my problem. I followed your advice and my MS Office 97 loaded and is running almost fine.

Word and Excel are working perfectly with all my old files, I'm having a little problem loading some of my old MS Access files but I should be able to figure this out. If I have more trouble, I'll look here for another thread.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Office 97
by webgo1 / March 7, 2007 4:22 AM PST

Office 97 does run quite nicely with Vista once you uninstall your office 2003 trial version

Collapse -
more about Office 97 and Windows Vista
by Dan Dalrymple / April 27, 2007 11:35 PM PDT

I'm not happy with Windows Vista. It came with my new Dell Laptop and has cost me several hundred dollars in new software. I have to be careful even when buying 2007 versions of software, much of the latest software will not work properly. Also I still can't get Vista to link properly to my small Linksys network.

This is my second response in this forum. Thru here, I finally got my MS Office 97 to load in Vista but I still couldn't open my old MS Access files. I worked at it in my spare time but never did get them to open properly. I'm not a computer whiz but mostly I do OK. I finally bought MS Office 2003, which seems to open all my old files properly.

Yahoo's Small Business Web Builder would not work with Vista and I was forced to buy MS Frontpage to maintain my website.

Vista's email program would not set-up as my default email program, only wanted to be my default NEWs program. Plus the fact that after MS Outlook, it was a poor excuse for an email program. I finally switched to Mozilla's Thunderbird for my email.

I'm DONE with new Microsoft products until they have completely proven themselves to be reliable. I'm not smart enough to be a beta tester and don't have enough money to buy all new software.

Collapse -
Did you check to see if your programs
by glb613 / April 28, 2007 12:31 AM PDT

were compatible with Vista BEFORE you bought a new computer? I've installed all the programs I used on my XP notebook onto my Vista notebook and they all work fine.

Collapse -
Did you check to see if your programs would load in Vista?
by Dan Dalrymple / April 28, 2007 1:29 AM PDT

Nope, I didn't ...

I bought my new laptop quickly after my 4 year old Toshiba Laptop crashed. It came with Vista installed. I've been using Vista now for about 4 months.

I've contacted several of the software vendors, including Yahoo Small Business, Roxio, and more. These vendors admitted that they were having problems with Vista but that upgrades were going to quickly become available. Yahoo Small Business' Website Builder told me that their software might run if I went back to an older version of JAVA. The author of my favorite old Mah Jongg game is not available now. Mah Jongg ran fine in XP, graphics crash in Vista.

I'm glad that all your programs ran fine. I've spent hours on tech support phonelines (great fun if you are fluent in several foreign languages) and on websites trying to get some of my old programs to run. I've received about a dozen upgrades from Microsoft for Vista since I started using it and I think all the upgrades have helped some.

Do you really use (and like) Vista's new Windows Mail? It wouldn't even let me highlight a mail folder and mark the complete folder as read. Setting up message rules that didn't work properly in Vista's Windows Mail, but they all seem to work well in MS Outlook and Mozilla's Thunderbird.

Collapse -
Windows Mail
by bowacl / April 29, 2007 12:07 PM PDT

I started using Thunderbird a while ago when Outlook Express didn't handle IMAP accounts well, I find if you add Lightning to it it's just like Outlook which I do not prefer. I like the spell as you go Thunderbird offers and the newest version has even more features.

For an Office program I use OpenOffice.org since it is compatible and free and the only setting I do to it once it's installed is have it save all in MS Office 97/2000/XP format then it is MS Office compatible it also has Base to read Access altho I have not used this.

For web making if you don't want to buy FrontPage NVU isn't to bad, it is also open source. http://www.nvu.com/download.php

This DVD burning software also free has been upgraded to be for Vista
http://www.download.com/Burn4Free-CD-DVD/3000-2646-10217894.html?part=dl-Burn4Free&subj=dl&tag=button

In short moving to Vista should not mean open your wallet even wider and pour contents out. The only drawback I see with Freeware is sometimes you do have to try a few of the same kinds of programs to get the one that works best for you but at least in the mean time you don't have to pay for it.

Hope this helps,
Northlite

Collapse -
office 97 and vista
by mrsbatch / July 11, 2008 10:35 PM PDT

Hi just wondering how your Office 97 is working.
I am about to buy a Vista computer and also have office 97
and of course I have lots of word, excell and .ppt files
on my current XP machine that I hope will open on my new Vista PC
any thoughts

Thanks so much

Collapse -
It can be glitch, but...
by John.Wilkinson / July 12, 2008 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: office 97 and vista

Once you get Office 97 installed and working you'll be able to view/edit/create any .doc, .ppt, .xls, etc documents you wish, including those form your old computer. Worst case scenario, if it doesn't work at all, is you can download OpenOffice.org, a free alternative that's compatible with Microsoft Office.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Still issues with this
by 1Chris / June 16, 2011 2:59 AM PDT

I know this is an old thread, but would like to see if I can resolve this.
I've been using MS Word 97 extensively in Windows Vista. Open Office is a good alternative, but too cumbersome, too long to load, too many updates...

Anyway, I've read some input about this, and the Microsoft kb is no help whatsoever. I'm running it in compatability mode for Windows XP (Service pack 2), but still, it freezes at random and consistently shuts down completely when I try to print. Techies I've talked with so far about this say it's just an "issue" with no workaround.

This is one reason alternative office programs are popping up, and I guess I'll eventually migrate to one. I'd sure like to get this one resolved though. I do own this program legally and am never going to buy another MS product unless it's worth it...and when I could afford it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?