General discussion

Office 2010 and Office 2008 Mac

Good night everyone. How have you been? It has been a while since I posted anything on the board. you all have helped me a great deal in the past now I have a question. I am taking classes for Microsoft Office. The school is using office 2010 for windows. I am a 100 percent Mac user. If I am given any projects to work on at home, is office 2010 compatible with office 2004 or 2008 for the Mac? I have both installed on my G4 Power Mac. I do not have Intel Mac so I cannot use office 2011 for mac. Are there any converter software to use?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Office 2010 and Office 2008 Mac
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Office 2010 and Office 2008 Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
For the most part

For the most part, Office 2008 should be capable of opening anything you're likely to encounter in some class. Office 2004 probably could too, the only possible issue might be if the stuff is saved in the OOXML format. Not sure if Microsoft ever released an update for Office 2004 like they did 2003 to allow it to open these files.

But assuming this is some kind of "Intro to MS Office" type class, the odds of them using anything remotely complex is very minimal, so I really wouldn't worry about it. Worst case scenario, you use one of the school computers to save it in the older Office 97-2003 format before emailing it to yourself or loading it onto a flash drive or something. Probably not the sort of thing that'll be covered in the class material, but if you're going to be a Mac user, it's definitely something you should take it upon yourself to learn.

- Collapse -
For the most part

Good morning. Thanks for your response it was very helpful. I was getting a little nervous about taking this class in windows. Since you explained to me what I could do I feel more relaxed now. Thanks for your response.

- Collapse -
Let me give you straight answers

1. Office 2004 programs cannot directly read the xml-saved files from Office 2007-2011 (all versions including PC and Mac). Although this format is default for saves for Office starting from 2007, you can change the default in the save as dialog to the old format (doc, xls or ppt) fully readable by Office 2004. The good news is that MS offers a free converter that would enable Office 2004 to work with XML format files. It is generally very reliable.
2. Office 2008 can directly read and write XML files, so it is supposed to work flawlessly with Office 2010/2011 files (PC/Mac). The VBA macro option has been abolished in Office 2008 for Mac, so you cannot create new macros. Office 2011 for Mac has this functionality restored.
3. The major "surface" change of Office 2011 for Mac (2010 for PC) is the introduction of Ribbon. This integrated toolbar offers a lot of formatting features and allows easy switch from one editing mode to another. The downside is that it is poorly customizable (especially its main "Home" feature) and some people including me disable it and continue to work with customized toolbars. Since this is a new feature, you would not be able to see it and learn in older Office versions.
4. There are also some changes in Office 2011 vs. 2008 in "paste special" options, as well as in PPT, you can now drag a highlighted word with Option key pressed to a new location and it will be copied (rather than moved in PPT 200Cool. These are some more frequently used changes (including better slide show handling in PPT) that are different. However, these are fairly minor things

CNET Forums