Mac Applications forum

General discussion

office 2008 for mac

by eric.sommer18 / February 28, 2009 4:54 AM PST

I bought the 2008 version of Microsoft office for mac and i am having a huge problem.
I attempted to customize my toolbar for Word but messed it up.
many options like view and file are gone from my toolbar at the top (and others)
Is there any way to reset the settings of the toolbars for word or even office entirely????
Thanks in advance for the help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: office 2008 for mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: office 2008 for mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First Step?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 28, 2009 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: office 2008 for mac

Look in the Help file for the answers.

You mentioned File and View. These are not normally on the toolbar but are present at the top of the screen in the Menubar.
Apple, Word, File, View, Insert, Format, Font, etc.

The toolbars are found under View, which could be a problem if you have lost the menubar.

Try moving the preferences out of the user/Library/preferences/ and see what happens when you relaunch Word

Collapse -
Microsoft office 2008-MAC
by eric.sommer18 / March 1, 2009 12:14 PM PST
In reply to: First Step?

so i tried the suggested steps and nothing happened, i'm still missing view and other stuff on the top of my screen, any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Do you see the word VIEW
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 8:56 PM PST

at the top of the screen, not the top of the open window?

Collapse -
Microsoft office 2008-MAC
by eric.sommer18 / March 2, 2009 12:44 AM PST

All the way at the top of the screen
where the apple is and things like the battery meter and airport strength indicator.

Collapse -
That's where it is supposed to be.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 2, 2009 10:01 AM PST

Unlike Windows, the Mac OS does not have the File/Edit/View/etc. menu words attached to the window that you have open.
They are always at the top of the screen.

Collapse -
microsoft office 2008-MAC
by eric.sommer18 / March 2, 2009 11:05 PM PST

alright thanks for the help

Collapse -
(NT) Are you saying that this was the problem??
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 3, 2009 6:00 AM PST
Collapse -
Office 2008 for Mac
by agenohb / January 16, 2010 9:58 AM PST
In reply to: office 2008 for mac

Identical x2 about: Missing both View and Tools tabs in Word 2008 Menu Bar for Mac.
On fairly New Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Combo, DeskTop

January 16,2010 Word Prob
(is that said TwentyTen or Two 0 One 0)?

Greets From Charlotte, NC
No Matter:
Am in identical situation and still unable to resolve it.

Mactopia is of no use whatsoever, akin as close to as possible WORTHLESS IN ENTIRETY.

Believe simplest resolve is to Reset Menu Bar to Defaults, but that must be too simple in Nerd-ville in the State of Washington.

Nevertheless, a give-up hasn't arisen YET. So if You or I find the resolve
Let's share the Golden Treasure with our MS Office 2008 for Mac.

Take a breath to realize that this may be the first mystery EVER that will
remain a Mystery til the end of TIME ?? God Forbid.

Message was edited by: admin to remove personal information. Note to member, it's never a good idea to post personal information in a public forum unless you want the whole world to know about it. Thanks. -Lee Koo CNET Forum admin

Collapse -
Normal and plist
by macnerd10 / January 16, 2010 11:41 AM PST
In reply to: Office 2008 for Mac

I would first remove the Normal.dotm file and put it on the desktop. It can be found in users>your name>Library>application support>Microsoft>Office>user templates. Relaunch Word and it should be OK. You will need to recustomize your toolbars if you have done so before.
If no go, return normal file to the original location. Then go to Users>your name>Library>preferences and put on the desktop and the folder Microsoft. Relaunch Word. If the problem is gone, trash everything but the custom dictionary (if you have ever modified it).
Tell us how it goes.

Collapse -
Now that the whole world knows your name,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 16, 2010 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: Office 2008 for Mac

and where you live and your email address, I guess you can standby for lots of spam and maybe a visit or two.

There are crazies out there, NEVER put this type of information into a public forum.

I'll get it removed.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?