Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Office 2007 keeps configuring itself over and again

by 42Sebastian / March 31, 2014 10:04 PM PDT

I have used Office without any hassle for several years in Win7, but recently I re-arranged the content of the hard drive so that downloads would go into a separate partition. Since then, when I want to open a WORD or EXCEL file, there is minutes of delay while Office 'configures' itself. How can I restore proper functioning ?

42Sebastian has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Office 2007 keeps configuring itself over and again
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Office 2007 keeps configuring itself over and again
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by 42Sebastian

Collapse -
Re: Office 2007 always configures
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 31, 2014 10:12 PM PDT

Seems to be a rather common problem. You're sure that you didn't install (a component of) Office 2003 or Office 2010? Just shrinking a partition shouldn't cause it, because it isn't supposed to change anything in the contents of any file.

Anyway, https://www.google.com/search?q=office+2007+always+configures gives a LOT of hits. Maybe a hit on one of the first pages gives a solution that works for you.

Kees

Collapse -
Partly solved
by 42Sebastian / April 1, 2014 1:42 AM PDT

Kees - I got a useful hit' from one of the many you referred me to. The jury is still out on the Excel because there are other complications, but WORD was fixed by a registry edit. I was told to type into the RUN box, the following :
"reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /tREG_DWORD /d 1"
It did not seem to work, and I'm not sure what all the code tells ME to do, but I opened the registry, went to
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options
Clicked on Options
Clicked in the right pane to trigger a display of 'new'
Clicked on that and then click on 'DWORD (32bit) Value'
I substituted 'NOReReg' for the highlit 'New value #1'
Right-clicked 'NoReReg'
Selected Modify
Changed the highlit '0' to '1'
Clicked OK
closed the registry.
Word documents now open without fuss.

I did the same thing where EXCEL substituted for WORD
but may have to come back to the forum for more advice.

Collapse -
(NT) Good job. Thanks for telling.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 2, 2014 5:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Partly solved
Collapse -
Answer
I remember having that happen to me
by orlbuckeye / March 31, 2014 10:11 PM PDT

before at work. Whenever I got the message I placed the Office DVD in the drive and it installed what it needed and I never got the message again. You probably could fix it also by doing a repair rather then reinstalling.

Collapse -
orlbuckeye
by 42Sebastian / April 2, 2014 11:55 PM PDT

REPAIR does NOT fix it. Whether I re-install depends on whether I can live with the work-around of opening Excel once, and leaving it open - even without a spreadsheet opened.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!