Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Office 2007 in Bizzare Classic Theme

by Faeliox / July 24, 2008 10:03 AM PDT

I do a lot of troubleshooting for friends and family, and have seen a huge scope of problems and maladies. This one, however, has me completely stumped.

From what he told me, he simply launched Outlook as usual, but was met with a different appearance. The background is white, the images and buttons are like, 2 pixles each, and the interface is made largly of black and white. I opened Word to see if it was a problem only in Outlook, but the Office button was pixelated, the ribbon was white, and it looked like a classic theme of some variety had been applied.

http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=what1jv4.jpg
http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=what2wc3.jpg

I checked the Office Options, and theme settings are still set to the default blue. The rest of the operating system is looking like it always has, with all visual effects except aero glass, which had been turned off earlier.

The computer is running Vista Home Premium x86, with Office 2007 Small Business. Everything is properly activated and functional.

Any help on this would be great. He says it does not interfere with functionality, but it is stuck in my mind now.

Thanks!

-Matthew

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Office 2007 in Bizzare Classic Theme
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Office 2007 in Bizzare Classic Theme
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just to get this started.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 7:37 PM PDT

Sorry for the delay in any responses. I don't use Vista or Office 2007, so my own suggestion is limited.

Does this user have any Add-ons for his Office Word and Outlook applications? If so, perhaps he could uninstall those and see if that changes the display back.

Before that, did he try Vista's System Restore? It may be known differently in Vista than it is in XP.

If neither works, and no-one else here responds, I would re-post in our Vista forum here;
http://forums.cnet.com/5204-12546_102-0.html?forumID=133&tag=dir.forum

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
office stuck in classic mode
by luckiweeman / August 11, 2008 6:02 AM PDT

Hey, I had the same problem and found the answer after a week of searching. I found this on a .net forum: Basically go to device manager and expand the video card option. If you see and SMS mirror driver, disable and restart windows. Worked for me.

Office 2007 User Interface - rick.bridge
05-Dec-07 07:21:00

Hopefully, this will save someone a few hours of frustration....

Problem: It was caused by Windows defaulting to the SMS Mirror Driver
instead of the ATI driver for the video card. The SMS Mirror Driver is
installed with the SMS Agent, it handles video acceleration for the SMS
Remote Control Agent.

Resolution: This can be fixed by opening Device Manager and removing or
disabling the SMS Mirror driver. Restarting the system then allows Windows to
load using the correct video card driver.

The SMS Remote Control Agent still worked properly, and the Office 2007 now
looks like it's supposed to look.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.