Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Office 2007-Do I have to remove office 2002? Existing files

by Prandy / January 29, 2007 10:36 PM PST

Well, it was finally released today. I plan to buy the $149 home and student version of Office 2007. Can I keep office 2002 on my computer? Will the 2007 program easily access my existing WORD, Excel, and Powerpoint documents? I assume those that tried the later Beta versions would know this.

As points of interest: (1) People are still paying up to $150 for Office 2003 Standard Retail version on eBay and (2)The Microsoft website lets you download a complete version of Office 2007 for a free 60 day trial period so you can try before you buy in case you don't like the new interface.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Office 2007-Do I have to remove office 2002? Existing files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Office 2007-Do I have to remove office 2002? Existing files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yikes - File conversion problems/not compatible
by Prandy / January 30, 2007 12:22 AM PST

Bad news from today's CNET reveiw as follows:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Microsoft_Office_2007_RTM/4505-3524_7-32143052.html?tag=sub

"...Drastic design changes demand a steep learning curve if you're upgrading; new interface isn't always intuitive; contextual tabs and style galleries can be distracting; users of Office 2000 through 2003 must install converters to open Office 2007 files... "

Since files are in a different format, this means you cannot send documents to people using earlier versions of Office unless they have installed the converter. I guess I will pass for now since I would no longer be able to email letters and Excel spread sheets without the risk of the recipient not being able to download them.

Does anyone disagree ?

Collapse -
Office 2007
by Papa Echo / January 30, 2007 6:34 AM PST

There is nothing for ordinary users to have to upgrade to ver 2007. Ver 2002 works very well, if you need a "new" version. Even first time users have to think about backwards compatibility. Keep your money.

Collapse -
Thanks - you are correct it seems.
by Paul3637 / January 30, 2007 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: Office 2007

The backward compatability issue will be the number one or two amongst the top ten reasons for people not to purchase OFFICE 2007. Think about being in a business that relies on instant communication like mine as a part of a CPA Firm. .......

....... So when we send a legal draft of a Tax Court Petition to a Washington DC lawyer .............. do we really want to find out after the due date for filing a petition with the Tax Court that the recipient was unable to download it because he did not have an adapter. Oh well, what is a few million bucks lost forever to the IRS. Bill Gates could not care less. How in God's name did the Miscrosoft Morons let this flaw get through ????????????????

Collapse -
Go ahead- upgrade! (Evil laughter)
by Realistickall / February 1, 2007 8:57 AM PST

Just remember no one using 03 or older will be able to open your 07 files. You may be able to open your old files ok, I don't know about that. I do know that 03 or older can't open any 07 files. 07 users have to save as... previous or older version before sharing with 03 or previous version users. The "compatibility pack" posted on the MS web site does NOT work! I've got polite emails from MS tech support apologizing. But I still have files sent me by new 07 users that I can't open. So I have to contact the senders and have them do the save as and resend. Who has time for all this?

Collapse -
There is an easy way to avoid the compatability issue
by Prandy / March 17, 2007 11:53 AM PDT

From PCWorld magazine:

"... it's easy to change an application's XML default back to the (more nearly) universally compatible Office 97-2003 format. Start by clicking the Office button on the upper left-hand corner of the application, the Options button beneath the list of recent documents, and Save in the left pane of the Options window. Then open the drop-down 'Save files in this format' menu, and choose the 97-2003 format from it."

Gee - I hope it works !!!!!!!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?