Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Office 2003 and 2004 Compatibility

by Yew / July 7, 2004 8:55 AM PDT

I have a friend who has a PC desktop with Office 2003 and a Mac iBook with Office 2004. Just recently, they created a PowerPoint presentation using Office 2003, they stuck it on a Flash drive, and needed to make some last minute changes using Office 2004.

Office 2004 has no problem opening the file, and everything seems fine until they try and open the file again in Office 2003. The file will open flawlessly any number of times with Office 2004, but every time Office 2003 tries to open it it says that part of the file is missing. The exact error message is: PowerPoint cannot open <filename> because part of the file is missing.

We've both tried looking through the MSKB for anything, came up empty. Creating a new copy of the file doesn't seem to help. It doesn't matter if you try to open the file from the Flash drive, or the copy stored on the iBook's HDD via a LAN, the same error pops up.

For now, OpenOffice managed to open the file and "convert" it to Office format, but that is just flat out rediculous to have to do that. Has anyone ever run into this problem and managed to fix it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Office 2003 and 2004 Compatibility
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Office 2003 and 2004 Compatibility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, call Mother.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2004 9:07 AM PDT

But at least you can put Open Office on the Mac as well as the PC and it's less strain and dollars.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Sorry, call Mother.
by Yew / July 7, 2004 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry, call Mother.

Actually, I just found the solution. The MSKB search didn't come up with anything, but Google did come up with a few interesting hits. This one in particular:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=828041&product=ppt2003

I went to Office Update, let it do it's thing, and all is well with the world again. I still don't get how it is they managed to let something like this slip into the shipping product though. You would think it'd be something that pops up pretty early in product testing. Oh well, problem solved for now.

Collapse -
Good to see if fixed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2004 9:26 AM PDT

The lower cost of Open Office has made it spread like a worm at the office (home and lab.) So I don't get to deal with such as much as I used to...

What I find annoying is that a NEW OFFICE 2003 package you pick up will likely need this patch even though it's been out for over 6 months...

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?