General discussion

office 2003

I just got Microsoft office 2003 at work. Does anyone know if there a limit to how many computers you can activate it on with the same serial? If so how many?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: office 2003
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: office 2003
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
one

How do I know? I tried to install it on a second computer I own and it wouldn't let me.

- Collapse -
Depends

I've seen 3 license packs at Best Buy here before, and there's volume license packs which are probably more than a few month's salary for you, so generally speaking you get one activation per serial number. You can usually buy additional licenses for a small discount from Microsoft if you want.

You could also try something like OpenOffice to see if it would work for you. It can open and save Office formats, and it's completely free, so it can't hurt to try.

- Collapse -
Using ghost, as many as you want

If you build up a machine then take an image of that machine as many as you want (Same type of system of course)

But in reality only 1 It's a shocker of a system.

- Collapse -
Why?

You said, "But in reality only 1 It's a shocker of a system".

Why?

Why shouldn't Microsoft attempt to protect it's copyright from piracy?

Mark

- Collapse -
I think you should

be able to install it on two computers that you own. The days of people only having one computer are slowing disappearing. And to come up with another $400 or whatever an additional license costs is more than I can afford. I'm sure I'm not alone.

- Collapse -
Yes I appreciate what you say, but

what if the home network has more than 2 computers, say 3 or 4, etc. When does it become a issue?

But I do agree that $400 per license is a lot just for home use, and I wouldn't really find objection, (as if my comments mattered), if someone found a way to use one copy for a home network, Happy

Mark

- Collapse -
more than one?

I think it is reasonable to have a product that can be used by two and only two computers. If you have 3 or more, which I do, then you either do without or buy additional licenses. That or make the price for additional licenses affordable for the average user.

I understand the need to prevent piracy. And I know that we as consumers have abused the ability to make copies. But I believe there can and should be a middle ground between companies making money and consumers being able to afford and have fair use of the products.

- Collapse -
If the licence says 10, you can have 10. If...

...it says you can install to only one, then one it is. However, "rules are meant to be broken"; but don't try it. But...why use M$ Office when you can have Open Office for free ? You can installed it to 1,000 machines if you want to, all free.

- Collapse -
Just to add

Always read the EULA. If it's not clear, the owner/developers web site is usually fairly specific. Activation of software does add a new dimension to protection against software piracy. MS is using this quite a bit. The ability exists to disable installations remotely. How often this occurs, I do not know. But, one shining light is that developers are beginning to respect that some users are mobile and carry their work home. They allow a single copy to be put on two PCs (usually a desktop and laptop) with the understanding that it will be used by a single user on one machine at a time.

CNET Forums

Forum Info