Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

(off the) Air America? lol

by David Evans / May 6, 2004 6:31 PM PDT

They got bumped off the air from their two biggest markets due to this very simple statement of reality -- NO AUDIENCE and FAILURE TO PAY THE BILLS. And now they can't even meet their payroll. So with that in mind, I suppose they should expect this kind of ink...

PAPER: 'AIR AMERICA' MISSES PAYROLL; MORE TURBULENCE AT LIB TALK NET

What a bunch of losers!

More ridicule (and "I told you so's") to follow shortly. This is just too easy.

DE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: (off the) Air America? lol
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: (off the) Air America? lol
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There's always TV, David...
by J. Vega / May 6, 2004 7:59 PM PDT

David, there's always TV, I saw a story that said that Al Gore was thinking about starting Cable TV channel. Well, that one ought to fly in Canada at least, they allow CNN. I can't see Canada banning a Gore channel as the did with Fox News. (grin)

Collapse -
Re:There's always TV, David...
by David Evans / May 6, 2004 9:18 PM PDT

I'd bet and give odds on that!

Gore and assorted others really have a plan -- Gore Launches Cable News Network.

From that article: "This is not going to be a liberal network, a Democratic network or a political network," Gore said at a news conference.

Translated, that means that this is going to be a liberal network, a Democratic network, and a political network of loooooosers with NO AUDIENCE, lol.

I'd make it a comedy network, with a "I Invented The Internet! Really! Stop laughing at me!" spot much like "Weekend Update." Al, you ignorant ......

DE

Collapse -
John Kerry alert! Re; Algore TV
by Paul C / May 7, 2004 7:59 AM PDT

Does this make Algore the head of a "Benedict Arnold corporation" - or given that the "network" is Canadian in origin, just a latter-day Benedict Arnold in Sen. Kerry's eyes? Wink

Collapse -
Funny one, Paul, but then...
by J. Vega / May 7, 2004 8:39 AM PDT

Paul, that was a funny one, but then I remembered a post by somebody here who strongly supports the Democrats talking about the Sean Hannity Show saying, "BTW, why is that show not an illegal campaign contribution by every radio station and advertiser involved.".
Gore broadcasts thru a country that bans an American news network, and that view implied carrying "Conservative" speech may be "illegal". Considering that I, as well as most Americans, highly value our right of free speech and freedom of the press, the similarity somewhat lessened my laughter, as I may see the start of a pattern forming.

Collapse -
So much, Evie...
by J. Vega / May 7, 2004 8:03 AM PDT

Well, Evie, so much for "buy American". It is a little strange when you think of it, someone who was his party's canidate for President in the last election going thru a country that bans news networks that they don't like.

Collapse -
Re:Gore-TV -- Outsourced apparently :)
by David Evans / May 7, 2004 3:22 PM PDT

Yep, as noted downstairs Al "I Invented The Internet" Gore is now doing the Benedict Arnold corporation thing, but I doubt we'll hear much about it.

Why don't they just give up and avoid the humiliation? lol

DE

Collapse -
Re:(off the) Air America? lol
by Paul C / May 6, 2004 8:32 PM PDT

DavE,

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-040506airamerica,1,3338899.story?coll=chi-business-hed

(For those who go beserk whenever confronted with the Drudge Report.)

No surprise here. People can get all the left of center commentary and slant on the news - with pictures, no less - at any of their major network broadcast TV stations. If they're willing to pay extra, they can get CNN. Why do they need radio?

Does anyone actually believe that folks like Al Franken and Jeanine Garofalo are actually entertaining? I've heard Mp3's of some Air America broadcasts, and by and large they remind me of those dour, humorless radical leftists I remember from the 60's - and still abundant on college campuses today, where they go by titles like "Professor" and "Dean".

Collapse -
Re:(off the) Air America? lol
by David Evans / May 6, 2004 9:25 PM PDT

Al "Not a Big Fat Idiot, but A Bucktooth Moron" Franken and Jeanine "who's she?" Garofolo are fun for the feeble minded, I suppose. But apparently there aren't enough of their kind listening to pay the bills.

Can't get to the linked article, won't let me in the site.

DE

Collapse -
LOL ...
by Evie / May 7, 2004 3:35 AM PDT

... and the programs DK claims are akin to commercials don't have to pay ANYONE to air their programs!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re:LOL ...
by C1ay / May 7, 2004 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: LOL ...
... and the programs DK claims are akin to commercials don't have to pay ANYONE to air their programs!

Actually, the fact that (off the)Air America has to buy the air time for it's "used oats" is what makes their programming paid advertising. Now, if they could actually get some paying sponsors and a listening audience they could be like the other talk shows.

Collapse -
If you look at the ratings for shows like Rush in detail....
by Josh K / May 7, 2004 4:13 AM PDT

....you'll see that a big chunk of his listener base are "leftists" who like to tune in, get themselves all riled up, call him and yell.

So it could probably be argued that Air America is suffering in the ratings because there aren't enough of your kind listening.

Collapse -
Oops!
by Evie / May 7, 2004 4:48 AM PDT

I guess you just admitted that Rush's content is at least substantial enough for the Left to listen to. And I guess that image of a bunch of mind-numbed ditto head drones hanging without thought on his every word just got shot to pot too. Why ANYONE would tune in to Garafalo and Franken is beyond me. Sorry, I wouldn't waste my time!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re:Oops!
by Josh K / May 7, 2004 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Oops!

Or maybe we "leftists" are just more open-minded and willing to actually listen to the opposition before bashing them.

Wink

Collapse -
Nah. I think you're just slow learners,
by Kiddpeat / May 7, 2004 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Oops!

it takes you guys a while to figure out that Rush is not an ABB.

Collapse -
I never relaized, Josh...
by J. Vega / May 7, 2004 7:53 AM PDT

Josh, I never realized that you listened to Fox News. It seems to me that a lot of "liberals" who criticize it say that they never watch it. Nice to know that you are not one of them (grin).

Collapse -
Re:I never relaized, Josh...
by Josh K / May 9, 2004 11:06 PM PDT

I've watched Fox News on occasion. During the war it was nice to tune in there because the war seemed to be going so much better on that channel.

Wink

Collapse -
Funny, sad, and true!
by Dan McC / May 10, 2004 1:43 AM PDT

Collapse -
Almost breaks my jaw to say this but...
by Edward ODaniel / May 10, 2004 12:47 AM PDT

Josh's posts often indicate that he actually looks at both points of view some times and although his mind is normally already made up he is capable of deserting the party line when he does get a glimpse of reality.

If those glimpses ever turn into views he will be a real neocon. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) LOL, I think there was a compliment in there....somewhere
by Josh K / May 10, 2004 1:20 AM PDT

Collapse -
Possible but the words are wrong...
by Edward ODaniel / May 10, 2004 12:43 AM PDT
"Or maybe we "leftists" are just more open-minded and willing to actually listen to the opposition before bashing them."

open-minded is read as empty-headed and willing to listen is understood to be on the same order as a deaf person--willing but physically incapable. "Bashing" of course will equate to normal leftist conversational gambits.

Don't believe this? Read Dave and Dan and other such posts (although the further left one gets the blinder they become).
Collapse -
Re:Possible but the words are wrong...
by Josh K / May 10, 2004 12:45 AM PDT
open-minded is read as empty-headed and willing to listen is understood to be on the same order as a deaf person--willing but physically incapable.

By you, perhaps.
Collapse -
I think you're right Josh. We listened once. It was offensive AND boring!

No imagination, no entertainment, a preoccupation with bodily functions, etc. You know, the usual liberal idea of humor.

BBOORRIINNGG!!

Collapse -
Re:I think you're right Josh. We listened once. It was offensive AND boring!

Those words are often used in criticism of Howard Stern, who is not a liberal.

And as hard as it may be for you to believe or admit, those words do not describe the "usual liberal idea of humor." Pity you feel such a need to try to pigeonhole absolutely everything.

Collapse -
Josh, I think the same thing is true of Howard Stern. Offensive AND BORING.

What did I pigeonhole, Al Franken or liberal humor? If this isn't liberal humor, who did he think he was appealing to? I must admit, Letterman is usually pretty funny. SNL usually doesn't last more than 5 minutes before it's off.

Collapse -
Re:Josh, I think the same thing is true of Howard Stern. Offensive AND BORING.

You tried to pigeonhole "liberal humor." Al Franken's humor is Al Franken's humor, just like Letterman's is Lettermans, Seinfeld's is Seinfeld's, etc. Your characterization of the "usual liberal idea of humor" was pigeonholing. Liberals, just like conservatives, enjoy a variety of styles of humor, though liberals are much less likely to get all bent out of shape over the occasional curse word.

Collapse -
Adrenalin junkies

Those particular liberals are the ones that love finding something to feel "outraged" over, because unless they feel miserable about something they can't stand themselves.

Collapse -
Re:If you look at the ratings for shows like Rush in detail....
....you'll see that a big chunk of his listener base are "leftists" who like to tune in, get themselves all riled up, call him and yell.

So it could probably be argued that Air America is suffering in the ratings because there aren't enough of your kind listening.

That goes back to the "got to be able to attract and hold onto an audience" thing. If the program is worthwhile it'll get, not eyeballs in this case... it'll get earballs. Heck, if significant amounts of the Rush ratings are due to leftist listeners, yet these same listeners don't tune in to hear Al "Not A Big Fat Idiot, but A Bucktooth Moron" Franken, that's got to say something about the level of interest in and quality of content of the program. Instead of getting earballs, O'Franken on his last hairball. In other words, and to repeat a theme: NO AUDIENCE.

If even leftists can't stand to listen to it, nobody should expect mainstream conservatives to listen.

I've always figured that this Air America thing and the Gore-TV thing will never have the audience to be self-supporting, will maybe be financed until the election as a cheap attempt to influence elections (ineffective since there's NO AUDIENCE even with all the ink and publicity they've gotten), and that if by some quirk of fate they're financed until the election, they'll be dismantled shortly thereafter. Both of them.

DE
Collapse -
Caution, Paul......
by Del McMullen / May 6, 2004 11:11 PM PDT

You'll be accused of trolling, Re: and still abundant on college campuses today,
where they go by titles like "Professor" and "Dean".

Collapse -
If you want to read but not register...
by Edward ODaniel / May 7, 2004 2:31 AM PDT

everyone can sign in using the following:

USERNAME == speakeasycnet (someone already used speakeasygang)
PASSWORD == speakeasy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!