Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Of routers, modem, access points, switches ...

I often come across terms like the following when reading posts concerning broadband, networking and wireless: Routers, bridge, bridge modem, access points, switches and wireless adaptor. What are these, and how, and when, are they conneted with one another ? Yes, I can google for them, but what I can get is often technical. What are they, in layman's language ? I am quite sure a lot of readers of this forum would like simple explainations of the terms.



Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Of routers, modem, access points, switches ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Of routers, modem, access points, switches ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BUMP - still sumped.

In reply to: Of routers, modem, access points, switches ...

Seems my query was too complicated and with no simple answers ? O.K. What about technical ones ?

To add to the list: half-bridge modem- now what on earth is that ? And what is a router ? or a bridge-router ? or a half-bridge router, if there is such a thing ? It also seems that a dsl modem can be described as a router, but surely they are not the same ? Thanks for any enlightenment !


Collapse -
You're right.

In reply to: BUMP - still sumped.

Sorry but I usually answer such by writing about and the but I felt it best to wait and see what others would write. No need to duplicate ready content.


Popular Forums

Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!