HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

OEM XP PROB i368 read error during setup

by unskarred / July 22, 2005 5:05 AM PDT

Ok so i just built a computer from scratch all parts bought from NEWEGG... i bought OEM Windows XP, once i set up all my computer parts i began to partion the hard drive. Then i installed XP onto the hard drive but ran into a problem... it asked me to insert the disk for XP (already inside cd drive) so it can read D:\i368... i keep clicking ok ok ok but it just pops up again and does nothing... so i just canceled and it moved on... showed up again did the same thing but just canceled... then windows began to boot up and then i noticed something... i'm missing some stuff from the normal xp setup such as a calculator under accessories and msconfig command in command prompt.. then i began having some other problems installing other programs and drivers... right now its fine but i feel like its been stripped.... I dunno why i did this next part but i moved the i368 folder from the cd onto the harddrive (which prolly does nothing).. then everytime i boot up the little icon in the taskbar asks me to activate i click it and then it just disappears doing nothing... i'm quite baffled... CAN SOMEONE PLZ HELP ME RESTORE MY XP TO NORMAL!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OEM XP PROB i368 read error during setup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OEM XP PROB i368 read error during setup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by the way...
by unskarred / July 22, 2005 5:08 AM PDT

i forgot to mention this... i have tried to reinstall windows xp to see if it was just a one time problems but it still does the same thing over and over... could it be a hardware issue?

SPECS:
AMD 3700+
Nvidia 7800gtx
2 gb Corsair Ram
2 SAMSUNG 160gb HD SATA (not in RAID yet cuz it ddn't want to do it)
1 DVD and all that good stuff CD DRIVE
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Mother board

Collapse -
by the way...
by Themisive / July 22, 2005 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: by the way...

These OEM disks on the market are not meant for normal consumption, OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Basically they are just sections of the actual programme, and it is illegal for them to be sold seperately. The only way I know that you'll be able to get the machine working properly is to buy the full programme of Windows XP

Collapse -
wow
by unskarred / July 22, 2005 3:16 PM PDT
In reply to: by the way...

weird thing is though... i borrowed my friends version of XP, the complete version and it gave me the problem still of reading the i368 folder from the cd... so now i'm thinking it may have to be a hardware problem..?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.