PC Hardware forum

General discussion

OEM, at what point will MS consider their OS...

by ahtoi / April 17, 2010 2:31 AM PDT

no longer belong. In other word, what hardware can I change before the OS says I don't work here anymore.

Something else that I come across at Fry's I thought a bit illogical. It says (FULL) windows7 (oem) version. I thought now-a-day all OEM OS are full version, unless it mean one has a disc and the other do not.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OEM, at what point will MS consider their OS...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OEM, at what point will MS consider their OS...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OEM is usually locked to the motherboard
by Steven Haninger / April 17, 2010 2:53 AM PDT

You may change other components such as hard drives, RAM, display cards, etc...even the CPU. This won't mean you may never have to activate the system but the motherboard is the key component. I do know that OEM builders have a way of changing the MB with an OEM copy of Windows but it must be their little secret. Obviously if they need to replace a defective board within the warranty period you won't be charged for a new copy of Windows. As for full OEM copies of Windows at Frys, these are meant for builders making PCs for purchase and not for themselves. It will be the same as full version retail but with a different volume number and a product ID code that works only with that issue of Win7.

Collapse -
I was just wondering why Fry's ...
by ahtoi / April 17, 2010 3:34 AM PDT

emphasis the word Full, because OEM still lock the OS to a computer only for always. So I guess FULL just sounds good.

Collapse -
Well, it could be meant to differentiate that disk
by Steven Haninger / April 17, 2010 4:48 AM PDT

from one that comes with a brand name PC in that it would have a bigger library of drivers and such. There would be no reason for Dell to put drivers on their OEM version for other than their products. OEM just means "original equipment manufacturer". Sometimes the term used was "VAR" which means Value Added Reseller. A VAR would basically be an example of a local builder who would buy OEM copies of operating systems such as you'd find at Frys. If they sell you a PC, you should get that full OEM disk and not some recovery image such as you'd get from Dell. Hope that helps.

Collapse -
OEM versions
by Willy / April 17, 2010 10:24 AM PDT

I have found two different OEM's of the typical system or available. These are the ones provided from the likes of Dell, Gateway, etc. and OEM for DIY'ers openly brought from vendors. I suspect the "full" version is the generic type for DIY'er which is more than likely acts as if a retail version but not tied to OEM system makers, which may curtail or offer only what's needed to support their system model# offering in a custom build. While a DIY'er will widely engage in building whatever comes handy of openly brought or obtained. Some vendors may offer a "gray market" OEM versions that came from Dell, HP, etc., as if generic versions but these may fall short or simply fail as they look for the brands they're suppose to be build from, so beware.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Full version
by Phil Crase / April 18, 2010 1:37 AM PDT

Full version as opposed to the "upgrade"

Collapse -
No, you see, in my mind...
by ahtoi / April 18, 2010 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Full version

OEM version mean full; no upgrade is needed (at least I don't think so). I was just wondering why Fry's emphasis the FULL when it's meaning-less.

Collapse -
I like the answer at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2010 1:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's something else laughable.
by ahtoi / April 18, 2010 5:19 AM PDT

How the hick do they control that. Does Microsoft want the business or not. You know I am not a fan of MS for a long long time; I just don't like them people jump hoop all the time.

Collapse -
The deal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2010 5:23 AM PDT

Is simple. What many have done is buy the OEM then demand support from MSFT. Even when they were told it was not included. And even when it was locked to the machine, they still call in and want help.

Sure, jump through hoops but not only are the hoops getting smaller but soon may be on fire.

Collapse -
Hope this helps...
by Guerito / April 18, 2010 1:50 AM PDT

OEM Software means that the software is sold only with a certain piece of hardware and/or the software manufacturer provides no technical support.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?