Desktops forum

General discussion

oem

by ernsttco / November 20, 2004 8:33 AM PST

I want to buy a pentium 3 on newegg but they only have them oem. What does this mean. Does it at least come with the instructions. The site says processor only.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: oem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: oem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: oem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2004 8:36 AM PST
In reply to: oem

The P3 has been out of production for years now. But to answer your question, it will be just the chip and nothing else...

It's mainly for those that need to fix a machine so no instructions, but look on the web?

Bob

Collapse -
To add more
by Steven Haninger / November 20, 2004 10:14 AM PST
In reply to: oem

Bob is correct but you need to know if the processor is a Coppermine or Tualatin core and which your motherboard can support. Tualatins were late entries as the P4 release was imminent, as I recall, so older socket 370 boards did not support it. BTW, OEM means "Original Equipment Manufacturer" which means these are the components PC builders buy in bulk and get a better deal. You don't get the boxed products warranty from Intel and you do not get a fan/heatsink. Hope that adds some helpful info.

Collapse -
Re: To add more
by ernsttco / November 21, 2004 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: To add more

does it at least come with instructions

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2004 11:34 AM PST
In reply to: Re: To add more

What instructions are needed?

Ask here since many forum members have replaced a P3 CPU.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: To add more
by Steven Haninger / November 21, 2004 8:23 PM PST
In reply to: Re: To add more

Making the CPU work and operate at it's potential is dependant on the MB more than anything else. You must insert it properly and cool it. These are "keyed" so you just about can't put it in wrong. You will need to find an adequate fan and heat sink. These are readily available and P3s don't produce the heat P4s do. The fan will probably plug into a MB near the CPU socket. You may have to set jumpers or core voltages but most modern MBs are jumper free and can autodetect the CPU and configure it. You should have a MB manual handy and the web site of the manufacturer is usually a good source for these.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?