Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

OE security

by Fish / December 6, 2010 7:44 AM PST

I use Windows xp and outlook express mail.

I created a slideshow and added music backround.Oe states that it has removed Player exe as an unsafe attachmeny from the email.

Without the Player exe the recipient cannot view the slideshow.
Can I change some settings in OE to fix this or what can I do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OE security
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OE security
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's how it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2010 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: OE security

You can research HOW TO ATTACH .EXE FILES TO OUTLOOK EXPRESS but the receiver could have the same issue as their antivirus, email app or something else removes the .exe

Collapse -
by Fish / December 6, 2010 7:56 AM PST
In reply to: That's how it is.
Collapse -
by Fish / December 6, 2010 7:59 AM PST
In reply to: That's how it is.

Thank's for your quick reply Bob.

Can I do something like upload it somewhere and have it viewed there?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2010 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: OE

I thought I revealed what phrase to search with.

I use PHOTOBUCKET to share pictures but that won'd add the music.

-> OK, I didn't share another way. Rename the .exe to .pdf or such and it ships. But then again the receiver would have to know how to use the file, rename, etc.

Collapse -
by Fish / December 6, 2010 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

Bob, would renaming the file allow it to be viewed as slideshow with music?
Just as I created it?

Collapse -
Wouldn't .pps be better?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 6, 2010 8:28 PM PST
In reply to: Renaming

The problem with sending .exe files thru emails is the risk of viruses.

If you create your executable then rename the file extension to something else, eg .pdf or .doc or similar known file extension, then the recipient may well attempt to open the file directly and that will fail because the .pdf or .doc or so on is not recognised as a PDF or Doc file.

So that means you would have to tell the recipient to change the file extension back to .exe so they can run it. That means they have to save the attachment to their hard drive before renaming it. This is too complicated for many people.

But what about a PowerPoint Presentation? It is used often to create slideshows, and you can even add music. Even then there may be some recipients who do not have PowerPoint to play such presentations, but Microsoft have provided a free PowerPoint viewer for download for those that need it;
Free PowerPoint Viewer 2007.

That seems the way to go to me.

Collapse -
by Fish / December 6, 2010 9:35 PM PST

Mark I don't have power point,but if that is the answer I may buy it.Thanks for your reply.

Collapse -
Re: buying powerpoint
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 6, 2010 9:38 PM PST
In reply to: .pps

It's a nice program, surely, but why not try Impress from first. It's free to try. It's even free to use. And it can make Powerpoint compatible presentations.

Collapse -
(NT) I'll give open office some thought. Thanks
by Fish / December 7, 2010 1:04 AM PST
In reply to: Re: buying powerpoint
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2010 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: Renaming

I think something is being lost here. You have MULTIPLE issues to address.

Renaming a file would GET AROUND OE. But then you ask this new question so with all due respect, are you thinking that renaming a file changes the file?

It only changes the file name (or extension) and to restore the name or extension may be asking too much of users.

Collapse -
Re: player.exe
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 6, 2010 8:44 PM PST

What is player.exe? Why do you send it with your slideshow? Can't you instruct the reader to download it himself from some website?

Collapse -
by Fish / December 6, 2010 9:39 PM PST

Player.exe is part of Paint Shop Photo Album 5 which I used to create the slide show.

Mark's idea sounds more likly to work.I will check into it.Thank's for your reply also.

Collapse -
Re: player
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 6, 2010 9:44 PM PST
In reply to: Kees

Then it might need a lot of other components (.dll's) also to run. Before sending it to others test it yourself on a PC where nothing of paint shop is installed.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?