General discussion

OE 6 becomes unresponsive during email download

by jeff s / February 24, 2006 2:00 PM PST

WinXP
SpyBot
AdAware
AVG

Seemingly clean and un-infected system.

Recently when I open OE 6.0 the application will hang up and not complete my email download from the server. This doesn't seem to happen if only a few emails need to be downloaded but if there are 10 or 20 the program will invariably hang up somewhere along the way before completing the download. It indicates that it is recieving but OE will time out and say the server is not responding. When I close and reopen it will do the same thing, reloading all the prior ones that it had loaded before, while sometimes making some further progress. I have contacted my ISP but they can't help, I thought it was AVG but when I uninstalled the problem continued. All my settings in OE seem to match what I use with Outlook 2002 which I use on this machine for my business.....Outlook is not affected by the problem although it's not pulling off the same server....but I conclude that my network setting are OK. I am at a loss as to where to begin to fix the problem. I really would prefer not to do a system restore or reload windows unless I have too. My bet is that soemthing is amiss in the registry but I don't know what to look for. Has anyone seen this problem before?

Jeff

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OE 6 becomes unresponsive during email download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OE 6 becomes unresponsive during email download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried Thunderbird?
by lacsr / February 24, 2006 6:33 PM PST

Outlook Express sometimes will get quirky and not work for what appears to be no reason at all. Have you tried to use Outlook or Thunderbird as a test to see if they can perform without a problem?

Collapse -
No problems with either Outlook 2002 or Thunderbird......
by jeff s / February 26, 2006 1:39 AM PST

I guess I am just used to using OE and have things set up to my liking. It is just irritating when this happens. I know it's fixable just a question of how long it will take.

Collapse -
OE
by Amos16 / February 26, 2006 4:50 AM PST

Hi - OE is not really built for heavy work, and MS wants it to balk if overloaded. I gave it up long ago for the same reason. Have used Outlook, but then found that gmail is best suited to my work. Why not switch? - Amos.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.