The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Ode to the Old Earthlink Guy

by alshinn / March 28, 2006 5:20 AM PST

The first time I heard the new Earthlink Guy, I thought it was Tom playing a joke. And it's not even April 1st yet! But it was one of those socially awkward moments that felt like like listening to a joke and never hearing the punch line. 'Though I was in the gym working out alone and listening to my iPod, I actually looked around to make sure no one was watching.

Why can't we bring back the old Earthlink guy? It's not as if he had to come to the CNET podcast studio every day to record or anything, did he? He was just a one-time recorded sound clip, right? So bring back the clip! I like having that one little piece of constancy in my day; a time to relax, unwind, and repeat along with the cheesy tag lines.

If you guys bring back the old Earthlink Guy, I'll pay twice as much as I already do for the podcast. No, wait, I'll pay a ba-jillion times the current price for only a bit of ''anything-possible'' goodness.

Please! Do the right thing!

- Andrew
--
Shinn Photography
get the picture? get the picture.
www.shinnphoto.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ode to the Old Earthlink Guy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ode to the Old Earthlink Guy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
P.S. -
by alshinn / March 28, 2006 5:24 AM PST

It's not just that we don't like change. The old guy was so cool, and the new guy is so lame. His voice isn't that bad, but the copy they have him reading is horrible.

Collapse -
because

Hunter doesn't work here anymore, and we'd have to pay him tons of money as a contractor to come back.

that's why! Happy

Collapse -
the Old Earthlink Guy
by Tchanam / March 28, 2006 6:51 AM PST

I always imagined the old Earthlink Guy as some kind of podcast legend.... (please stick with this)

For a start he came in every day (it wasn't a recording) despite CNETs offer to play a recording he insisted.

The 20 second advert was his only job, he spent the rest of the day hanging ‘round jazz clubs.

He smoked 50+ cigarettes, probably stubbing one out seconds before he began, then delivering his lines perfectly without a single cough or any signs of being a smoker.

He looked and dressed something like Ed Murrow

He had his own high quality stainless steel microphone in the corner which was part of his contract and neither Tom, Molly nor Veronica could use it under any circumstances.

Collapse -
It sounds like a trailer
by JesseThe / March 28, 2006 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: the Old Earthlink Guy

For the further Adventures of Old Earthlink Guy... Wink

I feel a bootleg remix of Old Earthlink Guy coming on Happy

Collapse -
That kinda sucks.
by Ravensblood / March 28, 2006 9:08 AM PST

If I were the new earthlink guy I would feel really bad right now! Give him a chance, he will grow into it.

:begin suckup:
you can't expect everyone to sound as smooooth as Tom or as cute as Veronica on their first month at work. Wink
:end suckup:

Collapse -
storms a-brew'n

do we have a founder for the "anti-new earthlink guy back-lash movement" or ANEGBLM (prn. an-gu-blem)? sounds like a terrorist group to me. we need to invade.

Collapse -
give him a chance!!

he's a great guy! he just has weak copy...

Collapse -
I 2nd that.
by AndyInTN / March 28, 2006 3:35 PM PST
In reply to: give him a chance!!

Think of it this way, If Hunter deserved the spot, he wouldn't have left CNET! The new guy is very capable!

Collapse -
Today's commercial was really bad
by danfromfla / March 29, 2006 9:51 AM PST
In reply to: I 2nd that.

I really mean no offense, because I'm a nice guy and all.

May I suggest that the new Earthlink guy try to imitate Hunter's radio-announcer-like voice? The commercials need a little more personality.

PS. I really am a nice guy. Nice really, but maybe not really nice.

Collapse -
Uh, why is this even a discussion
by ajurina / March 28, 2006 8:52 PM PST

I hate to be a troll, but people really need to find something more worthwile to talk about than who the commericals are done by. I'm even sure the "New Earthlink Guy" would even be willing to contribute to your GET A LIFE fund. Oh brother!

Collapse -
ok what the new el guy needs to talk about.
by rosscbrown / March 29, 2006 10:11 AM PST

Now I'm not a adman or anything but with y 6mb dsl from EL - how long will that take to download a (say) 30MB podcast?

SO it doesn?t have the same effect as "blink and its there" but at least its relevant.

Also, is he making a guarantee with his speeds, after all a could set up a P1 75MHZ server with a28.8 kbs connection to the net and have it take all year to download an image from using a 6mb connection.

But here's the deal. I have the luxury of a 100MB line so buzz off new earth link guy and your silly little 6mb connection!

Anyway ? I feel like I?m ranting way to much ? I guess its cos its 3am here and I?m humming the MONK theme tune ( you gotta live MONK - he rocks!)

Collapse -
huh?
by Ravensblood / March 29, 2006 8:53 PM PST

Huh?

Collapse -
Well since you are talking about this
by merrybrown / March 30, 2006 12:12 PM PST

The new earthlink guy just doesn't have the "energy" that Hunter had. The new dude, (what is his name please?) reads really slowly and steadily, but I don't "feel" it like I did with Hunter.
I am betting Hunter went on to a cool new gig in traditional media. Say announcing "cutest baby ever" contests...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.