Auto Repair - Roadshow forum

General discussion

Odds and ends.

by amckenas / May 2, 2007 9:50 PM PDT

My choice is diesel.

Years ago I had a cabin in Crown King, AZ and they had a huge truck that was multi-fuel. They told me it would burn almost anything from diesel to vodka.

I understand that genetic manipulation is being used to develop plants that will grow anywhere and when squeezed produce diesel fuel burnable without modifying the engine or fuel system.

Don't some buses in England run on big flywheels that store a tremendous amount of energy. (Although I'd be nervous sitting on a flywheel that, if it gets loose, would go through a 5-foot thick concrete wall!)

Catalytic converters have been developed that just about eliminate any pollution from diesel engines.

Diesel engines are much simpler that gas engines. Why would I buy a hybrid that not only has all the maintenance problems of a gas engine but also maintenance problems associated with the batteries and motors.

With all the furor over global warming I haven't heard anyone point out that the heat from paved land, air conditioners, heating systems, motor vehicles, nuclear power plants, fueled electric plants and many other sources may be causing part of the warming.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Odds and ends.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Odds and ends.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mileage
by 1Chris / May 3, 2007 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Odds and ends.

My friend's '05 Prius doesn't get any better fuel economy than my '02 Honda Accord. Sitting at idle in traffic and stop and go in city what does it.

Collapse -
That is a great point...
by Skyhawk007 / May 24, 2007 7:15 AM PDT

People are talking on and on about the supposed value of electric hybrids for little reason. That is because of the much higher cost associated with Hybrids that people don't want to talk about. For one thing, the hybrids are NOT getting the great MPG that we were mislead in to believing in the first place. Just this past week, the government announced that they are LOWERING the mpg ratings of all newer vehicles, because they found actual real-world mileage figures that the those cars were getting were highly exaggerated and distorted.
Since the mpg ratings are much lower than anticipated, who would in their right minds want to spend an extra $7,000 dollars for a hybrid that won't save them any money?
The thing to do, is to buy diesels that get better mileage figures than hybrids, and that won't have the hidden costs down the road that cannot be re-couped with phony high mpg ratings.

Collapse -
I agree.
by Andy77e / May 27, 2007 2:07 PM PDT

I'm not convinced at all by hybrids. There are many technologies I am interested in seeing come about. But hybrids do not impress me at this time. Tons of extra stuff, and junk and cost... very little real improvement in mileage.

In the short term, I agree with this. Diesel is the way to go. Diesels have been getting much better gas mileage, with very little extra cost. The main reason Diesels cost more here in America, is only because so few are made here. If Diesels were as common here as in other parts of the world, they would cost no more than gasoline cars.

Government regulations have held auto makers from producing Diesels in America. Government *always* screws things up. They need to get they're dirty hands out of our pockets and our lives. Then maybe we'd see some decent cars with good gas mileage. Cut some red tape and we'll be driving 200 horse power sports cars that get 30 miles per gallon.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?