General discussion

Odd Option in Windows Task Manager

In the Windows Task Manager under "Shut Down" there is an option that says "Eject Computer". What does it do?

It is in all versions of Windows (at least in the past 10 yrs, not sure of previous ones, haven't checked). Chatted online with a Microsoft service rep, and they had no clue...somehow I am not surprised.

I know it has nothing to do with the cd/dvd drive, thumbdrives, connected devices, etc., so I'm curious to know what it actually does do.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Odd Option in Windows Task Manager
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Odd Option in Windows Task Manager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: eject computer
- Collapse -
RE: eject computer

Mine isn't connected to a docking station.

- Collapse -
Re: shutdown and eject computer

As I said, on my XP Media Edition SP3 in a home network, it's not present. The choices under Shutdown in Task Manager are:
- Stand-by
- Hibernate (greyed out)
- Shutdown
- Shutdown and restart
- Logoff [current user]
- Switch user (Winkey+L)
That seems OK.

Something must be different with you. Could be:
- hardware
- BIOS settings
- Control Panel settings
- OS settings
- you ran a registry cleaner
- you run or ran some optimization software

My guess: if you do a clean install of your OS (and no more) on a new stand-alone desktop it won't appear. Did you already try?

There's no clue yet and there are no experiences yet from other users. It will be interesting to see if this community is able to find out what's different (or must I say: what's wrong?) with you.

Kees

- Collapse -
Screen Shot
- Collapse -
Not odd at all.

It's a supported option and given how variable Windows setups are and how the oddest things can happen I'd just ignore it and use the machine.

Again, it's an documented feature. Maybe it shouldn't be showing but it is so that leaves it up to you to ignore or fret.
Bob

- Collapse -
Someone Provided an Answer
- Collapse -
So one of my options was right.

It was a setting in Control Panel. Who could have guessed?

Kees

- Collapse -
Nice.

It's an option and my thought is it has zero impact on usability with it on, off, showing or hidden. Why fix it?
Bob

CNET Forums