PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Odd monitor issue - suspect it's hardware

by KefkaN / May 9, 2008 8:01 PM PDT

Hi guys,

My desktop PC has two SyncMaster 940N 19" LCD monitors.
Lately (noticed it for the first time a couple of days ago, and it's happening again now) I've noticed an problem with the right hand one only.

I'm not sure how to describe it, but it seems as if high contrast things leave a "shadow" (darker or lighter depending on how the contrast is) to the right of them. I've taken screenshots and added the shadow in how I see it - it's something wrong with the monitor itself displaying things, hence the shadow doesn't show up in screenshots.

http://members.westnet.com.au/gbaatard/monitor1.jpg
The bars of shadow have been added to the right hand column which is meant to be solid blue.
Here's the original page: http://www.techspot.com/news/29994-mpaa-demands-154-million-from-the-pirate-bay.html

As you can see, the shadow lines up with lines of text / buttons, and is darker where the blue "Techspot Pricewatch" bar is.

http://members.westnet.com.au/gbaatard/monitor2.jpg
This one is more obvious... the background is meant to be solid black, yet there's a lighter section to the right of the notepad window.

In the past I've very rarely (total of 2 or 3 times over a couple of years) had one monitor (im sure it was the right one most of if not all the times) go entirely solid bright grey - the pc keeps working fine, but nothing can be done to make the grey go away other than rebooting.

I put this down to an occasional wibble in the powersource or videocard...

In both the current issue and the greyscreen, turning the monitor off and back on doesn't help.

Any ideas? The PC was built by a friend (who I've lost contact with) from parts he got wholesale, so it's not under warranty...

Thanks,
Kefka

Some PC Specs, although I doubt they'll be too relevant:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Odd monitor issue - suspect it's hardware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Odd monitor issue - suspect it's hardware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look into...
by Willy / May 10, 2008 12:20 AM PDT

Swap monitors around, if the problem persists in the same side, think the video card is faulty. If not and appears on other side then monitor. You should also use a monitor testing gauge/pattern to check results and fine tune output and make as best as possible beforehand, to help in these matters.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Possible Cabling Issue
by sunwatcher / May 10, 2008 11:57 AM PDT

Sometimes the shadowing problem can be attributed to a faulty video connection between the PC and monitor. Try these simple things first.

Reseat the video cable at both ends first, and make sure they are securely fastened. If the cable is poorly shielded, you may have to separate the cable from other nearby power cords in order to isolate interference problems.

If the above actions do not fix your problem, then try swapping the cables between monitors.

Collapse -
Thanks
by KefkaN / May 10, 2008 6:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Possible Cabling Issue

Thanks, I tried that briefly the other night when it was happening, and it may have helped a bit - it's not a permanent problem, and when it does happen it's often very subtle and barely noticeable...

At least, until I notice it, after which I can't stop noticing it Silly

Will fiddle with the cables properly and see if it helps.

If no luck with that, will look into it further as suggested by Willy and try to isolate the problem.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Huzzah for cable fiddling!
by KefkaN / May 12, 2008 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Possible Cabling Issue

Reseated the plug in on the monitor end, no help...
But noticed the shadowing got a bit better/worse when fiddling with the cable...

Reseated it on the video card end, and shadowing disappeared. Happy

Yay! Thanks muchly.

Collapse -
Great!
by sunwatcher / May 12, 2008 9:57 AM PDT

Great job! Glad you were able to fix it without too much trouble.

Collapse -
yup
by darkzenlord / May 16, 2008 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Great!

I was going to say that it is a common problem, Happens with VGA cables, fidgeting is a short fix, if it returns, replace the VGA cable. I have seen it dozens of times. I think thats what your problem is.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?