Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Odd Internet Connectivity Problems after Boot Drive Change

by maxplanck735 / November 21, 2006 6:58 AM PST

For starters, let me say off the bat that my cable modem and internet connection
works fine when using my mac laptop and my playstation 2.

Recently, I copied my PC's boot drive to a new drive, using the software that came bundled with the new drive (Maxblast 4, from Maxtor). After this, I switched
the jumpers on the new drive to make it the boot drive for the PC. I then switched the configuration of the jumpers on
the old boot disk to make it a slave disk. I connected the primary IDE channel to the new boot drive, left my third hard drive connected to the second connection on the IDE cable connected to the motherboard's primary IDE channel, and connected the old boot disk (now jumpered to be a slave) to the second connection on the IDE cable connected to the motherboard's primary IDE channel. I kept my DVD drive connected to the first connection on the IDE cable connected to the motherboard's primary IDE channel, as it always was.

Now, I can't connect to the internet through any application on my PC, except MS
Outlook Express (weird, eh?). My Local Area Connection's properties tell me that
it is connected. I regularly run Norton, AVG Antivirus, Spybot S&D, and
AdAware SE. Running these apps has not helped.

I uninstalled the drivers for my network adapter, then I reinstalled them. Every
time I uninstall/reinstall them, the number following "Local Area Connection" increases
by one. For example, it used to say "Local Area Connection." After I uninstalled
then reinstalled the drivers, it now says "Local Area Connection 2."

My thought about this is that the uninstall may not have completely removed the old
drivers, and now maybe the multiple drivers are conflicting with each other.

Comcast sent a technician over today, and he couldn't help and told me to call Microsoft
(screw that). He told me that my problem is not with my network adapter.

At the Run->CMD prompt, we ran the following:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /renew

and none of this helped. Comcast was able to ping my modem from theirs, but I was
not able to ping anything when the ping originated from my computer (it said "transmit failed" whenever we tried to ping from
my computer).

From looking at the cable modem's lights, it looked like the computer can receive
incoming packets, but it can't send them.

One time I ran registry mechanic 5.2, which caused windows to stop displaying
the format of any files on a CD. I then ran Norton, which fixed this, and ALSO fixed
the internet problem (I was able to, for example, browse the web.) Then, (dumb me)
I renamed "Local Area Connection 11" to "Local Area Connection" and rebooted the
computer. After this, the same internet connection problems returned. I then tried
renaming "Local Area Connection" to "Local Area Connection 11" and rebooted, but
this didn't help.

I tried using Registry Mechanic and then Norton again, but this didn't help. I then
tried using system restore, but system restore won't let me restore to any of my
restore points.

Can anyone offer any advice? If more information would be helpful, please post a
request here and I will post the information.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks a lot.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Odd Internet Connectivity Problems after Boot Drive Change
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Odd Internet Connectivity Problems after Boot Drive Change
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"I kept my DVD drive connected to the first connection on ..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2006 7:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Woops
by maxplanck735 / November 21, 2006 8:06 AM PST

Woops, sorry thanks for catching that, I meant to say:

"I kept my DVD drive connected to the first connection on the IDE cable connected to the motherboard's SECONDARY IDE channel, as it always was."

Thanks a lot for catching that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?