Computer Help forum

General discussion

Odd coloring

by insomniak / January 1, 2005 11:12 AM PST

A while back, my laptop (it's an HP, not sure if that makes a difference) would occasionally go wierd on me. Everything that was white would go sort of blueishgreenish. It didn't happen all the time and sometimes it popped up and went away. It's not affected by any website or program that I can tell, it would do it anytime. I re-installed the video drive and it went away for a few weeks but just today I saw a flicker again. Anyone know what this is or how it can be fixed? Everything functions fine, it's just the color that's messed up sometimes. Has my computer been overworked?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Odd coloring
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Odd coloring
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Insomniak, Possibilities..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: Odd coloring

You mentioned that you installed the "Drivers" but did you install the most RECENT drivers? If not, give that a try.

Recognize that video cards can die and so can the display screens. How old are each and might it be time to buy a new machine..

Have you checked for spyware with the tools from the following websites? Download, install, update, then run the free tools below:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
Try hooking up to a regular monitor, if you can...
by reefurbb / January 1, 2005 10:02 PM PST
In reply to: Odd coloring

If it has the same trouble, then you have onboard video trouble and not the laptop screen.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thats good advice refurbb
by zacho / January 2, 2005 3:58 AM PST
Collapse -
?
by insomniak / January 2, 2005 1:40 PM PST

How would I get a more recent video driver? And the laptop is less than a year old, so I'm not sure how I wore it out so soon.

Collapse -
Insomniak, To Find New Video Drivers...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 2, 2005 1:47 PM PST
In reply to: ?

...visit the HP.com site, find "support", then type in your model number. If there are updated drivers for your computer, you should be able to find them.

Drivers don't really "wear out", but they can become corrupted and reinstalling the same one over the top of the corrupted one doesn't always cause a "replacement" of the corrupted file. Installing an "updated" driver can sometimes do the trick.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks
by insomniak / January 8, 2005 10:20 AM PST

I've asked around and most people say it's a hardware problem- is it possible that my videocard is shot? It also tends to do this when the computer has been in use for a while. Thanks again.

Collapse -
yes-hardware, no-video card, ?-warranty
by reefurbb / January 8, 2005 8:58 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

assuming "1 yr old" makes it a warranty issue if you've eliminated things they can charge you for.
Assuming you didn't try an external monitor in order to prove it is not the LCD screen.
Assuming XP home and SP2 update, if the problem happened after the update, you may have updated the video drivers in the SP2. Rollback the drivers to previous. If no SP2 update, then still a prob with laptop.
Laptops don't have separate plugin video cards. It sounds like possible heat problem also?
Still, address the warranty issue:
"What's the charge for looking if it's not a warranty issue?"
"What's the quote for fixing it, what needs fixed, if it isn't a warranty issue?"

Collapse -
so
by insomniak / January 12, 2005 4:15 AM PST

Is this a problem I created- overheating/wierd colors? Should I not use it for more than an hour or two at a time? I know people who never turn theirs of and the computers are fine. I also tend to turn it on and off repeatedly over the course of the day, is it better to leave it on if it will sit idle for an hour or so or should I keep it on only when I'm using it? Thanks again.

The warrenty covers anything but damage I cause directly, I think.

Collapse -
no,no,no...
by reefurbb / January 12, 2005 9:13 PM PST
In reply to: so

1. unless you block the fan exhaust, it's not your problem. The case fan and/or processor fan may not be working. The only way to blame you is if you have used it in a very dusty environment and plugged things up. Unlikely. Towers that sit on the floor are more prone to dust plug.
2. Laptop screens are not like the cathode ray tube types (CRT) which use a filament. For a CRT, on-off several times a day is not good in the long run because it shocks the filament each time, like a light bulb. For you, it shouldn't hurt.
3. Idle time is usually okay unless for hours (like 24-7) because RAM will clog up.
4. You should check the warranty for time limit-expiration. Also ask "if you determine it is my problem, is there a charge (how much) for looking?".
Usually not. Did you try an external monitor? I usually find old 14" cheap ones at a local repair shop for $20.
Using an external monitor at home can save aging on your laptop screen, if it shuts off. Screens are often the 1st to go and $$$ to fix.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?