Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Odd behavior from Microsoft Word

by discomatt / April 4, 2008 1:57 AM PDT

I'm attempting to troubleshoot an issue a co-worker is having with an install of Office 2003 Basic Edition (Word, Outlook, Excel) on a Windows XP PRO machine

The initial issue is a strange one:

Opening the executable is fine. Word opens as expected, with a blank document active.

The issue shows up when you attempt to open up a .doc file with a double-click. The system appears to do nothing, and word will not open (or show itself) until you open another program/explorer window/ect. At that point the document appears opened as usual.

My first instinct was a reinstall, so I attempted it. Uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs, deleted the folder in Program Files, and deleted registry entries in both CURRENT_USER and LOCAL_MACHINE. Installed from retail CD.

On an attempt to open, it now displayed the beloved 'Word not installed for current user.' So, I made a local temp admin account, ran all office apps, exported the reg entries from CURRENT_USER, applied them to the original user, and shared permissions in the LOCAL_MACHINE (and child) entries.

Everything worked great for about 5 minutes... at which point it began to do it again. I attempted to patch with Office 2003 SP3, at which point the 'Not installed for current user' came back up. I followed the same process with the same results.

What confuses me is Excel and Outlook both open file when opening a supported file type to start the app. Also, word runs fine if you execute WINWORD directly. When it's open, .doc files open instantly as well. When attempting to open a doc file when word isn't open, though... the system appears to do nothing, until you open a new program/explorer window, at which point it magically appears.

Has anyone had something similar happen or know a solution? I want to avoid migrating over a to a new 'unbroken' user, as it is very tedious, and the co-worker gets very irate if ANYTHING has changed on her desktop (down to the position of icons).

Any help is GREATLY appreciated Grin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Odd behavior from Microsoft Word
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Odd behavior from Microsoft Word
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Smells like Norton.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 2:10 AM PDT

Start Word in Word's SAFE MODE. Try again.

Collapse -
I wouldn't touch Norton with a 60 foot...
by discomatt / April 4, 2008 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Smells like Norton.

No, we are running Symantec AntiVirus only. I wouldn't let Norton touch any systems I'm responsible for. Causes WAY more problems than it solves Wink

It's not the anti virus that's causing any of it. Somehow, in some mad, insane, crazy, mixed up, only-in-windows way, the user became corrupted, and seemed to be half way between an admin and a limited user, and lost ties to the local system. I simply deleted the user and created a new one, copying settings as best I could (File and Settings Transfer Wizard is a piece of junk :P)

Everything is working fine and dandy on the new user.

One final question, on an unrelated topic. Is there any way to change the login user name on a local XP account? She logs in using the NT-style screen rather than the 'Welcome' screen. At the moment, she has to login with 'username_new' even though I've renamed it to 'username' in the Users area in Control Panel.

Is there any way to change the _actual_ user name in XP?

Regards, and thanks for the read.

Collapse -
Renaming user accounts is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 5:18 AM PDT

Never a good idea. Create a new account with the name you want.

Collapse -
Yeah.. but..
by discomatt / April 4, 2008 5:38 AM PDT

The problem was that I wanted to use the original name, but create a new user. The bigger problem was keeping the original user in tact while creating the new one.

In hindsight, it would have been smarter to rename the old user, and then create the new user with the original name... but the end result was the same.

Renaming the user via password2 seems to keep all of the pathing the same, while allowing you to change the NT-Style login name. Worked perfectly Happy

Collapse -
Solved
by discomatt / April 4, 2008 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Smells like Norton.

Solved. Using Start->Run: control userpasswords2

Great little secret XP power users should know about Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.