Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Objective tests by major organizations Malware Bytes (MBAM)

by robb7thurston / March 20, 2013 12:50 AM PDT

There is quite a major discussion going on in your colleagues, Alt Comp Freeware, concerning MBAM, aka Malware Bytes Antimalware. One contributor contends that
he has never seen a test of the effectiveness of MBAM by a major antimalware testing organization. I wish to ask you for references to objective tests of MBAM: how effective it is, and if possible, how it rates with the big guns: Norton,
AVG, MSSE etc.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Objective tests by major organizations Malware Bytes (MBAM)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Objective tests by major organizations Malware Bytes (MBAM)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Then why use it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 1:01 AM PDT

You have other choices but let's cover off -> FUD <-

You find that makers of products can sometimes use FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) to discredit the other products or solutions.

If you agree with the FUD being cast about them you make your choice and buy their product. It's that simple.

-> There is indeed an issue with effectiveness. Read the next link.
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6132_102-578886/zeroaccess-rootkit-symptoms-found/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

None of the free tools can remove this pest and at the time neither could most of the antivirus names. And even the one that could fix it, could only do so if you had a Windows 7 retail DVD handy.

So you're right, all the tools were ineffective when it came right down to this nasty.
Bob

Collapse -
Objective tests of Malware Bytes(MBAM):R. Proffitt; Grif T.
by robb7thurston / March 20, 2013 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Then why use it?

This reply is also for friend Grif Thomas.
I thank you very much R. Proffitt and also friend Grif Thomas. You two have answered so far, and you are too kind. The freeware and foss sites are swarming with rumors which may be exaggerated. If you consult such sites, MBAM has an enormous panache. When I saw the contributor, at Alt. Cmp. Freeware, named "Pooh the Cat", who is a PC repair tech, and an old friend of over a decade, cast doubt upon MBAM, I had to check that one out. You corroborated his doubts. Many thanks.
Kindest wishes!
Robb Thurston

Collapse -
But That Doesn't Mean It's Not A Good Tool.....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 1:10 PM PDT

As I stated earlier, Malwarebytes has worked well for me in many instances...but unfortunately, there is no perfect malware removal tool and I've yet to find a good antispyware test site which evaluates those tools.. Such is the problem with constantly mutating malware and its the reason a variety of tools, experience, and a little bit of luck are required when tackling the problem.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
Interesting Question Please Show ANY Antispyware Test Site
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 6:13 AM PDT

Although there are a few good antiVIRUS test sites, (such as http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews), I know of no unbiased antiSPYWARE sites. The antivirus test sites have standard testing criteria and it's fairly easy to rate programs.. Unfortunately, because spyware/malware changes on a daily basis, I'm not sure effective standard tests are within the realm of possibility.. So, that's my best direct answer to your question. Sorry.

In regards to the use of Malwarebytes, I have used it MANY times in the removal of malware on infected machines.. It was recommended to me long ago (Check BleepingComputer.com for example), and I still continue to use it as ONE of MANY tools when an infected computer is brought to me. I use it because it has worked for me in a number of cases, but not all.. And because it doesn't repair everything, and because different tools seem to find different things, I use a variety of removal tools. In addition, Malwarebytes is fairly easy to install and manually update on an infected computer, something the "big guns" are frequently incapable of. Also, on almost ALL of the computers I've been asked to recover, they seem to have one of the big guns already installed.. Installing McAfee or Norton on an infected computer is near impossible..

But as Bob mentioned earlier, don't use if you're not happy with it.. Since it's free, try something else which works better for you.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?