Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Obama trying to legally quiet talk about ACORN

by James Denison / October 18, 2008 6:34 PM PDT

The purpose of trying to take the investigation of ACORN away from the Attorney General's office where it rightfully belongs seems based on a desire to have a special prosecutor have gag rules put in place which would hold back the bursting dam of damning information that's beginning to threaten Obama's run for the presidency.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/17/obama.acorn/index.html?iref=mpstoryview
The Obama campaign announced Friday that it is asking Attorney General Michael Mukasey to turn over any investigations of voter fraud or voter suppression to Special Prosecutor Nora Dannehy.

Dannehy is also the special prosecutor recently appointed to investigate the U.S. attorney firing scandal.

The McCain campaign suggested that Obama and his campaign were engaging in partisan politics by requesting the special prosecutor's involvement. In a statement issued Friday night, McCain-Palin spokesman Ben Porritt called Obama's request "absurd" and said it was an attempt to "criminalize political discourse."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Obama trying to legally quiet talk about ACORN
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Obama trying to legally quiet talk about ACORN
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The fraud is about
by Angeline Booher / October 19, 2008 2:45 AM PDT

.... voter registration.

People turning in names for money.

It is not about voter fraud.

Voter fraud would mean that Mickey Mouse was permitted to cast a vote at a polling place in Ohio. The Election Commission would not accept Mickey Mouse as a legitimate voter on their books. Th poll workers would never let Mickey Mouse vote. Mickey would have to vote for there to be voter fraud.

Mickey Mouse could not vote in Ohio. No voter fraud. Registration fraud. By lazy individuals. For money. $8 for going door to door. Lots easier just to go down phone book or make up names.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
The beat way...
by J. Vega / October 19, 2008 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: The fraud is about

The best, but not the only way, to pull it off is with absentee ballots. Clogging the check system with a large "smoke screen" is a tactic not to be sneezed at.
Why would a state official (thinking of Ohio) ever try to block poll watchers? What would they not want them to see?

Collapse -
well, if it was chicago...
by James Denison / October 19, 2008 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: The beat way...

...it would be those magical old voting machines that can disappear for a few hours between precinct and where the votes are counted,then reappear and suddenly have a huge vote count larger than the precinct with the numbers overwhelmingly for one candidate.

Collapse -
Remember after Katrina...
by J. Vega / October 19, 2008 3:40 AM PDT

Remember after Katrina when some organization in Atlanta bused voters back to Louisiana to register and/or vote? Why didn't they just register and/or vote absentee? I'd love to computer "crunch" the voter registrations of Louisiana with those of Georgia, Texas, and other states to look for "doubles".

Collapse -
while you're at it...
by James Denison / October 19, 2008 3:48 AM PDT

,...please crunch those voters in Palm Beach area with voter roles in NYC. I'm sure a lot of yentas would be headed to jail too.

Collapse -
Oh, Geez....
by J. Vega / October 19, 2008 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: while you're at it...

Oh, Geez, that's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Collapse -
Speaking of Fla, tho a bit off topic....
by caktus / October 20, 2008 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: while you're at it...

I wonder if many still feel disenfranchised following the Democratic party's rath over having changed the primary voting date.

Collapse -
don't know.
by James Denison / October 20, 2008 4:31 AM PDT

I'm not living down there currently, and don't hang out with democrats much either. Maybe you can update me about that. This is really the first I've heard of it, I think.

Collapse -
not all are mickey mouse type names.
by James Denison / October 19, 2008 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: The fraud is about

While some are obvious fake registrations, others are not so easily determined, especially in voter precints where they don't have the proper software in place to search for addresses where more than 4 voters are registered in order to provide a list of sites that may be further scrutinized for possible fraud. Even vacant lots have street addresses and sometimes find themselves listed in voter rolls too. Such fraud is more difficult to detect. You might have a landlord with property in several precincts and is listed to vote in all of them. The problem with ACORN is they have received govt money and squandered it on attempts at bogus registrations, have shown little control over the process and shouldn't be trusted with any more tax money. They've also targeted who they register based on political bias, which is another no-no.

Collapse -
Why not...
by J. Vega / October 19, 2008 3:31 AM PDT

Why not just rent office space in the name of something like Friendly Manor, and register multiple people to it appending a different number to the address?
John Smith
Friendly Manor #101
123 Whatever Street
SomeTown, SomeState ZIP
Looks like an apartment address, doesn't it? Next name, #102, etc. etc. By the time anybody ever caught on, the election would be over and it would be too late. "Friendly Manor" can later vanish in a puff of smoke like telco "boiler room" scams do.

Collapse -
post office
by James Denison / October 19, 2008 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Why not...

technically there's a postal law about that one, and as I recall requires ste or apt to be distinguished, although in practice it may not be enforced. I'm trying to remember the circumstances that required the rule......

Collapse -
ahh, here it is.
by James Denison / October 19, 2008 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: post office
http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/stories/1999/11/01/smallb4.html

For the past 12 years, self-employed executive recruiter Sandi Taylor has received her business mail at a Mail Boxes Etc. location in suburban Dallas.

You wouldn't know Taylor works out of her home by looking at her business address. It includes a suite number at a street address in Richardson, Texas. The word "box" isn't used.

Taylor wants to keep it that way.

The U.S. Postal Service, however, wants to force Taylor and the estimated 1 million other small businesses that use private mailboxes to disclose this fact. It plans to ban the use of "suite" or "apartment" in private mailbox addresses, saying this practice makes it easier for criminals to defraud consumers and businesses. It will enforce this ban by not delivering mail to a private mailbox if "suite" or "apartment" is used in the address.
Collapse -
Did you notice...
by J. Vega / October 19, 2008 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: ahh, here it is.

Did you notice that that address I made up did not contain the words suite or apartment? That was by design.
Humor time: You can get into quite an argument about the best way to make chili or other dishes, but I think any of those arguments couldn't hold a candle to the discussion of the question "Which city has the most corruption, Chicago or New Orleans?" (grin).

Collapse -
Yes, noticed it
by James Denison / October 19, 2008 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you notice...

that's what jogged my memory on those postal regulations, I just couldn't remember off top of my head exactly how the chips fell on that one. I had to go looking.

Collapse -
I think about...
by J. Vega / October 19, 2008 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: post office

I can't help but thinking about Ohio, with voters registering and getting a ballot at the same time. That combined with the refusal to let poll watchers monitor early voting gives me pause.
What happens if problems are not discovered until after the election date? Time delay can help with pulling shenanigans.

Collapse -
re: if problems are not discovered until after
by caktus / October 20, 2008 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: I think about...

Good question. I wonder when the "count" becomes final. I guess in any case, we can always whine "He stoooole this election!"

Collapse -
It's bad to follow Palin's example like thist.
by Dan McC / October 19, 2008 5:59 AM PDT

But there was not so much as a peep from the right wing extremists when she tried it. The only difference now is that it's a tactic being used by the left.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) explain what you mean, or refer to.
by James Denison / October 19, 2008 6:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Palin tried to derail the abuse of power investigation.
by Dan McC / October 19, 2008 8:38 AM PDT

She wanted it moved to an administrative panel she appointed instead of the more legislative investigation that was independent of her.

Dan

Collapse -
What?! That's Horrible!
by James Denison / October 19, 2008 5:59 PM PDT

Trying to have it moved from a political body to an administrative one that properly should have dealt with it. Absolutely damning!

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for exemplifying my point.
by Dan McC / October 20, 2008 12:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
It's all very simple.
by caktus / October 19, 2008 12:52 PM PDT

You can't speak something if it's the truth. Devil

Collapse -
I don't believe it......
by caktus / October 19, 2008 1:13 PM PDT

Even McCain is refering to us as a democracy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.