General discussion

Obama sucking up to big energy

by JP Bill / September 6, 2011 5:04 AM PDT
thumbing his nose at environmentalists

But the president did quietly scrap plans to toughen air pollution
standards, delighting big energy and dismaying the environmentalists
that had backed him solidly in 2008. "By putting the interest of coal
and oil polluters first, the White House seems to be saying that clean
air will have to wait," fumed the Sierra Club.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Obama sucking up to big energy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Obama sucking up to big energy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well, already noted in an earlier post but maybe he's just
by Steven Haninger / September 6, 2011 6:23 AM PDT

-feeling the heat
-seeing the light
-doesn't want to be left out in the cold
-afraid of the dark
-got the same job worries as a lot of other folks. Wink

Collapse -
RE: already noted in an earlier post
by JP Bill / September 6, 2011 6:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
PS: I see he is not catering to his base
by JP Bill / September 6, 2011 6:40 AM PDT

contrary to popular belief.

Collapse -
OH....I just read somewhere that he IS catering
by JP Bill / September 6, 2011 11:12 AM PDT

it's to a different group this time.

There wasn't a link to that story/fact?...just another opinion, I guess, they didn't say.

the things politicians do to get elected.

tsk, tsk, tsk.

I have to wonder when a political party has more members that belong to "big business" IF they are tempted to cater to "big business"?

I have to wonder when a political party has more members that belong to
"unions" IF they are tempted to cater to "unions"?

Welcome to the crazy world of politics.

Collapse -
Everyone responds to some kind of motivation
by Steven Haninger / September 6, 2011 6:49 PM PDT

If it doesn't come from within, it comes from without

someone waving money?

someone wielding an ax?

Collapse -
It was my post to Toni's OP
by Steven Haninger / September 6, 2011 7:30 AM PDT

suggesting that GREENPEACE was not too happy. I didn't pick that link deliberately. I'd hear the story on earlier national news and did a google search for it. But when I saw who was "a hoppin' mad" I couldn't resist. It just goes to show that one doesn't always know who their bosom buddies are.

Collapse -
Article
by TONI H / September 6, 2011 7:35 AM PDT

says that "cap and trade is dead"....nope...it got voted down but thru Executive Order, the EPA has already made progress in proving Congress irrelevant and at least 7 coal mines are shutting down within the next six months to a year, natural gas in Texas is being held up, etc.

There are many 'behind the scenes and the headlines' regulations going on that the media is aware of but are keeping up the pretense of 'nothing is being done' by BO in order to keep people fired up. He isn't thumbing his nose at environmentalists....he's getting his pre-re-election campaign priorities in line so he can look good to the independents as somebody willing to 'compromise'. If he is lucky enough to get re-elected, all of this 'compromise' is temporary and immediately taken back off the shelf so he can get back to business...his business. Just like he did with the Dream Act that couldn't pass when he had the majority in both houses...he is using a backdoor method to accomplish the same thing, all with a memo.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?