Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Obama looking like Nixon now

by James Denison / December 20, 2013 1:13 AM PST
The Nixonian Obama

President Barack Obama is ending his fifth year in office with the
lowest approval ratings at this point in the presidency since President
Richard Nixon, according to a new Washington Post/ABC poll released Tuesday.""

Tsk, tsk, you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all of the time. Each lie dilutes the power of the next lie till eventually no lie can save you. Such is the end of a consumate Liar.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Obama looking like Nixon now
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Obama looking like Nixon now
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Obama looking like Nixon now
by JP Bill / December 20, 2013 2:37 AM PST
In November, a majority of Americans for the first time didn't find Obama honest or trustworthy, a supposed death knell, some said, for Obama's presidency.

"Once a president suffers a blow such as Obama is now suffering with his health-care law, it is difficult to recover," wrote the Washington Post's Dana Milbank, adding that it was "starting to look as if it may be game over."

Yet one month removed from that prognostication, there are signs Obama could be about to turn his presidency around.

On an important front, Obama has already regained the public trust. According to the last Post/ABC survey, majorities once again think Obama is honest and that he understands the problems of regular people. And though Obama's approval rating is still horrendous, it appears to have at least plateaued.

Focusing solely on the raw polling numbers though, sans context, Obama's presidency does stack up unfavorably to that of past presidents. As Business Insider noted, Obama's approval rating is the lowest for a president at this point in his tenure since Richard Nixon and his Watergate-fueled 29 percent.

But that's a horribly misleading comparison.

Of the six presidents in between Nixon and Obama, three never served a second term and so don't fit into the comparison. And though George W. Bush had a marginally better approval rating in the Post's final 2005 poll, his numbers overall were right in line with where Obama's are now. (Obama has a marginal edge at present per Gallup, for instance.)

So, to rephrase the Nixon comparison with those qualifiers in mind: Obama's approval rating is tied or better than that of all but two of the past five two-term presidents through this point in their presidencies. Not so dire (and clicky) now, is it?
Collapse -
Not so fair use either
by James Denison / December 20, 2013 4:55 AM PST

...but then, why post part of the article if you can post the whole thing?

Collapse -
(NT) I just posted the facts.......................ALL the facts.
by JP Bill / December 20, 2013 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: Not so fair use either
Collapse -
Yes and...
by btljooz / December 20, 2013 9:25 AM PST

...Nixon was IMPEACHED! But so was Clinton.

Collapse -
Well, lying about Watergate
by James Denison / December 20, 2013 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: Yes and...

and covering it up was certainly worse than lying about Benghazi where people died, and trying to cover up why it happened. Nixon didn't get a huge pass like Obama did. It all depends on who did the crime and which party is controlling Congress.

Collapse -
Hall passes....
by btljooz / December 20, 2013 11:21 AM PST

Your second sentence is my precisely my point.

but your first sentence about Watergate being worse than the Benghazi fiasco puzzles me.... .... ....unless that was tongue-in-cheek. How can lying about money be worse than lying about something where lives were lost? Confused

It really doesn't matter much, though, because lying is lying and there is nothing worse than a liar!!!

Collapse -
yes, TIC
by James Denison / December 20, 2013 4:21 PM PST
In reply to: Hall passes....

a bit of extreme sarcasm based on how Obama gets a pass on death, but Nixon got eviscerated for peeking and lying about peeking. Yet the Clinton's get off unscathed for missing files on former administration officials which mysteriously reappear where they weren't the day before and nobody can say how they got there.

Collapse -
by btljooz / December 21, 2013 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: yes, TIC

While Slick Willie was, in deed, impeached he was allowed to finish out his term. Was Nixon? Mischief

Collapse -
If he was alive today
by James Denison / December 21, 2013 12:28 PM PST
In reply to: AND......

He'd justifiably feel he got a raw deal from DC and Obama is getting away with murder. I wonder how his daughters and grandchildren feel now comparing the two in their mind? Suddenly grandpa Nixon looks pretty darn good in comparison!

Collapse -
Have I missed something? Has there been a break-
by Ziks511 / December 20, 2013 1:13 PM PST
In reply to: Yes and...

in nobody has heard about at the Watergate Republican National Headquarters in Washington and the arrest of Cubans and Americans for burglary. Has the Washington Post begun a series of articles probing the reasons behind the break in and the safe's full of cash in Eric Holder's office from which bundles of high denomination bills were handed out ad lib.? Has the President walled himself into the White House and compiled an enemies list and bugged anyone"s psychiatrist yet?

Until August things were pretty rosy, then the roll out of the ACA site was a disaster, but that is rapidly resolving itself, and all Roger Ailes' horses-@$$es and all his "men" including that idiot O'Keefe, just cant seem to undercut the fact that the ACA is working, that the economy is better than it was since 2007 (some reporters have said 2005, I'm just trying not to claim too much), and Unemployment is at or under 7% for the first time in nearly a decade. And let's not forget who put the skids under the economy in the first place. Not on Barack's Watch. I'm looking forward to the September figures for 2014 in hope of another 2% drop in the level of unemployment, which might just lead to a Democratic House and Senate and Presidency, and the ability to actually do some governing finally.

It's not like some of us didn't pay attention before September 1. And I'd love to see Obamas figures put up next to John Boehers or Ted Cruz or just about any other Teapublican you choose to name.

By the way, so sorry about your loss in Virginia, you did try to gerrymander, hammer, and press-fit the "Attorney DeGenerate" into place, but he just popped right out again owing to a lack of votes. How frustrated you must be is indicated by your general whining here and your original wittering post. (Look it up. Try the Consise Oxford Dictionary of English, not MaryAnne Webster" dictionary of Americanese, which has spent its entire life span since Noah Webster editing out English words and mis-spelling the rest. Words already extant and well understood in English discourse world wide. Dig up Bill Safire and ask him.) There's another word for you too: mithering, pronounced my-thur-ing. It means to grumble and complain endlessly if fruitlessly, mostly about things you have no control over. It's one of the symptoms of impotence. That's Political and Moral Impotence lest you be looking down questioningly at your pants just now.

Collapse -
by James Denison / December 20, 2013 4:25 PM PST

I've not been paying attention to whatever's going on there. I live in Maryland. Where do you live? Isn't it in Canada? How much longer before it's OK for you to come back to US?

Collapse -
Yes, I think you've missed A LOT
by TONI H / December 20, 2013 6:19 PM PST

Obamacare is STILL not working because no matter how many 'fixes' they try to make to the website, the LAW itself is garbage that can't work........and it isn't even the SAME law that was passed because BO, thru EOs keeps changing it. He just changed it AGAIN, literally giving the SAME delay that the HOUSE passed BEFORE the shutdown, which could have been avoided had he agreed to that change at THAT time instead of NOW.

As for Watergate......Nixon's lie didn't kill people. BO and HC's lies and ignoring the warnings and pleadings for more security or at the very least pulling those people out in time DID. I believe that Nixon SHOULD have been impeached and was glad when he was; however, that impeachment wasn't because of Watergate although most liberals would love to keeping trying to make people believe that. He was impeached because he had THREATENED to use the IRS to target his 'enemies'.......BO has gotten a complete WALK for ACTUALLY USING the IRS to do exactly that.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?