Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Obama admits he blew it.

by Kiddpeat / September 7, 2008 4:16 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Obama admits he blew it.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Obama admits he blew it.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
how are the two related?
by James Denison / September 7, 2008 4:33 AM PDT

I don't see a candidate's opinion on abortion related in any manner to their opposition's overall qualification for election.

Collapse -
Oops...
by J. Vega / September 7, 2008 4:33 AM PDT

He said "?I had to sign up for Selective Service when I graduated from high school...". and "But keep in mind that I graduated in 1979.".
Wasn't the the Selective Service registration requirement ended in 1975 and re-instated in 1980?

Collapse -
(NT) I still have my draft card
by James Denison / September 7, 2008 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Oops...
Collapse -
I no longer have mine.
by Paul C / September 7, 2008 7:23 AM PDT

I had to turn it in at Air Force basic training in 1970; I guess they figured it was superfluous... Wink

Collapse -
Would that be Lackland? If so
by Steven Haninger / September 7, 2008 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I no longer have mine.

that must be where mine went in August of 1969. Somewhere in the 2 to 3 months between signing on and leaving for Texas, I did get an Army draft notice. This must have meant that the recruiter didn't fix things in time. I was expecting the MPs to show up and drag me off but it never happened. That whole time is now a blur. All that's left is DD form 214 which no one has ever asked for.

Collapse -
draft vs volunteer.
by James Denison / September 7, 2008 10:57 AM PDT

I wasn't drafted, I volunteered, so that may be the difference.

Collapse -
I did the same but knew what was coming
by Steven Haninger / September 7, 2008 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: draft vs volunteer.

Once out of school and 1A, (no lottery at the time) most didn't last but a couple months. I did get to the recruiter before the Army got to me. I believe that it was too late once the notice arrived...unless your congressman owed your daddy a favor. Wink

Collapse -
I was 1J
by James Denison / September 7, 2008 1:50 PM PDT

That's what you got after 1H and before 1A.

Collapse -
Umm... I had to sign up when I turned 18
by grimgraphix / September 7, 2008 5:35 AM PDT

I did that in 1979.

Collapse -
Did he have to sign up?
by JP Bill / September 7, 2008 5:42 AM PDT

I had to sign up for Selective Service when I graduated from high school.

he could have said

I had to sign up for Selective Service after I graduated from high school.

Then both mean the same thing

1980 would have been after he graduated and before his 26th birthday.

Was he required to sign up?

please clarify.

Collapse -
Unless they changed it drastically...
by EdHannigan / September 7, 2008 5:57 AM PDT

You are supposed to sign up when you turn 18. When or if you graduate from High School has nothing to do with it.

Collapse -
I knew about the Selective Service at 18
by Dragon / September 8, 2008 11:28 AM PDT

And on my birthday, I ask my dad if I could borrow the keys. I didn't have to read his mind to know that he knew what I was going to do, and I didn't say anything. I drove 30 miles to the next town, registered, returned home and handed the keys back.

Which makes me wonder if Obama really knew what he was saying.

Anyway:

Who Must Register Chart

All male U.S. citizens born after December 31, 1959, who are 18 but not yet 26 years old, except as noted below

Collapse -
Double "oops"
by critic411 / September 7, 2008 6:28 AM PDT

?You know, I actually did,? Obama said. ?I had to sign up for Selective Service when I graduated from high school. And I was growing up in Hawaii. And I have friends whose parents were in the military. There are a lot of Army, military bases there.

?And I actually always thought of the military as an ennobling and, you know, honorable option. But keep in mind that I graduated in 1979. The Vietnam War had come to an end. We weren't engaged in an active military conflict at that point. And so, it's not an option that I ever decided to pursue.?

What it sounds like he was saying, he wouldn't serve unless there was combat going on. Is that what he REALLY thinks the purpose of our military is?????

I think Hillary made the same statement about "considering" joining up. Both are unbelievable !!

Collapse -
Refreshing to see an honest politician
by JP Bill / September 7, 2008 4:35 AM PDT

Most of them never admit they misspoke or were flippant.

Perhaps if he looked under his desk he might find some more honest politicians.

Collapse -
(NT) Lewinski's not there anymore
by James Denison / September 7, 2008 4:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
It seems you missed McCain's speech then.
by Kiddpeat / September 7, 2008 5:31 AM PDT

Among his many substantial points was that he said "We" got it wrong and "we" failed. He was talking about the Republican Party. He also saif that he, personally, was wrong on many occasions.

Collapse -
RE: It seems you missed McCain's speech then
by JP Bill / September 7, 2008 5:49 AM PDT

Among his many substantial points was that he said "We" got it wrong and "we" failed. He was talking about the Republican Party.

McCain said that?

Collapse -
And i did see it.
by JP Bill / September 7, 2008 6:00 AM PDT

McCain voted with President Bush, McCain admits "we got it wrong", President Bush won't.

That's what Obama has been saying...they were saying he was wrong.

Obama says he was wrong, Republicans say

So were we.

Collapse -
So McCain admits to flip flopping ?
by grimgraphix / September 7, 2008 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: And i did see it.

I hear he has taken up the subject of needing to work towards change as part of his speeches too.

How very Democratic of him... is he really running as a Republican ?

See, this is the McCain I could have voted for. The McCain from eight, ten years ago... who was less about party lines and more about doing the right thing. It is a shame he cozied up to the party line for the past few years and threw his unbridled support behind policies he believed were bad 10 years ago... and bad today... but was all in support of just 4 years ago.

Now THAT is some flip flopping !

Sad

Collapse -
It seems you missed McCain's speech.
by Kiddpeat / September 7, 2008 10:04 PM PDT
In reply to: And i did see it.

He said the Republicans got it wrong with respect to spending. He said nothing about getting Iraq wrong. In fact, he said his recommended strategy in Iraq, the surge, worked. That is a fact. He also said that Obama got it wrong when Obama opposed the surge. Even Obama admits that the surge has been extremely successful

If you listened to the speech, it seems that you didn't comprehend what was said and you got it totally wrong.

Collapse -
when a baby gets human rights
by JP Bill / September 7, 2008 5:36 AM PDT

At the moment of conception.?

Are they the same rights as the rights of an American Citizen?

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness

Collapse -
So when do the arrest start...
by grimgraphix / September 7, 2008 5:38 AM PDT

for child endangerment against all the women who smoked through their pregnancies ?

Collapse -
They ALL blew it
by JP Bill / September 7, 2008 11:09 PM PDT

and they still are

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

If you can get big enough the government will save you.

If you can get in debt to the world economy....the world will save you.

Collapse -
So I guess....
by Josh K / September 8, 2008 2:50 AM PDT

...McCain also "blew the answer to a major policy issue" when he joked about killing all the Iranians, right?

Collapse -
You answered your own question.
by Kiddpeat / September 8, 2008 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: So I guess....

You said it was a joke. A joke is not a policy issue.

Collapse -
Hahahaha....
by EdHannigan / September 8, 2008 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: So I guess....

How's that sense of humor download coming?

It might have been in bad taste, but McCain was obviously joking (about cigarettes killing all the Iranians--you left that part out. Wonder why, Never mind, I know).

Was Obama joking?

Collapse -
What he left out...
by J. Vega / September 8, 2008 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Hahahaha....

What he left out were McCain's words "I meant that as a joke from somebody who hasn't had a cigarette in 28 years.". Then somebody off camera said 29 years and he confirmed that it was 29.

Collapse -
Yeah, but when you say it the other way....
by EdHannigan / September 8, 2008 12:32 PM PDT
In reply to: What he left out...

it sounds like McCain wants to nuke Iran or something. Not that Josh intended to give that impression at all. Nuh uh! NO WAY!

Collapse -
sounds like McCain wants to nuke Iran
by JP Bill / September 8, 2008 12:56 PM PDT

Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb bomb Iran

with Cigarettes?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!