Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Obama Admin Terrorism Dictionary......

Obama Admin Terrorism Dictionary Calls Pro-Life Advocates Violent, Racist

by Steven Ertelt
LifeNews.com Editor
May 5, 2009

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- More details are emerging about a terrorism dictionary the administration of President Barack Obama put together in March. The newly-revealed document comes on the heels of a report the Department of Homeland Security sent out saying pro-life advocates were right-wing extremists.

The latest report to cause national outrage is a document known as the "Domestic Extremism Lexicon," essentially a terrorism and political extremism dictionary for the Obama administration's internal use.

The March 26, 2009 document features numerous definitions and the headline "antiabortion extremism," appears on page two of the eleven-page manual.

The Obama administration calls pro-life advocates violent and claims they employ racist overtones in engaging in criminal actions.

The definition reads: "A movement of groups or individuals who are virulently antiabortion and advocate violence against providers of abortion-related services, their employees, and their facilities. Some cite various racist and anti-Semitic beliefs to justify their criminal activities."

A Washington Times report indicates the terrorism dictionary was recalled within hours after the Obama administration released it.

Amy Kudwa, Homeland Security spokeswoman, told the newspaper the dictionary "was not an authorized I&A product, and it was recalled as soon as management discovered it had been released without authorization."

Although she said the dictionary "is not, nor was it ever, in operational use," Kudwa did not appear to dispute its existence or that the Obama administration compiled it.

Kudwa says the terrorism dictionary would not have been put together following the outcry over a report sent to police and sheriffs offices nationwide saying people who oppose abortion are potential terrorists and extremists.

"Since this happened prior to our last experience, our new internal protocols were obviously not in place," she said.

Rep. Peter King, a New York Republican congressman who is the ranking member on the House Homeland Security Committee, told the Times he was furious with the news of the dictionary.

He said it "causes further concern that Congress needs to get to the bottom of exactly how DHS determines what intelligence products to distribute to law enforcement officials around the country."

In an interview following the release of the first report, DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano defended including pro-life advocates and saying "opponents of abortion" are likely to engage in extremism or terrorism.

King asked Napolitano whether the department has active investigations on "anti-abortion groups" concerning potential extremism or terrorism and the Obama cabinet official declined to answer.

She said she would not comment on the activities of the department and claimed that pro-life groups have a "history" of such actions.

Napolitano said that, although "people have different points of view about abortion" and that the Obama administration values free speech rights, some pro-life advocates cause her agency concern.

"On the other hand, at the very edge of the [abortion] debate, at the very edge are the extremist groups that have committed violent crimes," said Napolitano. "They've committed bombings and the like."

Now, if this isn't a case of the "pot calling the kettle black."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Obama Admin Terrorism Dictionary......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Obama Admin Terrorism Dictionary......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The actual document...

In reply to: Obama Admin Terrorism Dictionary......

Collapse -
Um....

What your post claims:

The Obama administration calls pro-life advocates violent and claims they employ racist overtones in engaging in criminal actions.

What the document actually says:

"A movement of groups or individuals who are virulently antiabortion and advocate violence against providers of abortion-related services, their employees, and their facilities. Some cite various racist and anti-Semitic beliefs to justify their criminal activities."

Your post is making a generalization about everyone who opposes abortion. That generalization is not in the document you linked to. Would you not agree that people who advocate blowing up abortion clinics are domestic terrorists?

Collapse -
Misrepresentation is all they have left Josh.

In reply to: Um....

That and Carrollingian flights of illogic and unreason. "Beware the Jabberwock, my son."

Remainder of post, cogent though it was, was removed by me for possibly violating the Political restriction.

The Frumious Bandersnatch.

Collapse -
I agree.

I would also wished for it to have included fostering distrust, and worse, against the new president.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
(NT) Not an NT.

In reply to: I agree.

Collapse -
WOW!!!!

In reply to: I agree.

Arrest those extremists who don't agree with the ONE!!!

Whose point were you making exactly?

Collapse -
What the document actually says:

antiabortion extremism: A movement of groups or individuals who are virulently antiabortion and advocate violence against providers of abortion-related services, their employees, and their facilities. Some cite various racist and anti-Semitic beliefs to justify their criminal activities.

You left out the first part. How comne?

Does it really mean ONLY the people who want to blow up abortion clinics? Or is it more general than that? I guess it depends on your definition of "extremism".
Collapse -
Does it really mean ONLY the people....

In reply to: What the document actually says:

....who want to blow up abortion clinics?

Yes, that's how I read it.

Collapse -
And yet...

In reply to: Does it really mean ONLY the people....

others read it differently. And pro-abortion people often refer to anti-abortionists as "extreme".

You may have read it a certain way, but that is not what it actually says, is it?

Collapse -
No, pro-CHOICE people do not...

In reply to: And yet...

..."often" refer to anyone who disagrees with their position on the issue as "extreme." I don't know where you pulled that from.

And yes, actually, that is what it actually says. It refers to a small subset of people who oppose abortion. It does not paint everyone who opposes abortion with the same brush.

Collapse -
Again. that is YOUR interpretation....

In reply to: No, pro-CHOICE people do not...

I don't see anything about a subset in there. No, actually, that is NOT what it actually says.

And yes, it's not that uncommon to have people on the left refer to Right to Lifers as extremists. Some call anyone on the right extremists.

Collapse -
I wonder...

In reply to: Again. that is YOUR interpretation....

Recently Department of Homeland Security warned about "right-wing extremists" in a report titled "Right-wing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment". I wonder, did they also put out a report warning about "left-wing extremists"?

Collapse -
Also...

In reply to: Does it really mean ONLY the people....

The document was withdrawn within hours of being released. Wonder why.

Collapse -
I would guess...

In reply to: Also...

I would guess it was because of the entry:
black power (U//FOUO) A term used by black separatists to describe their pride in and perceived superiority of the black race.

Collapse -
Black Separatists

In reply to: I would guess...

Weren't they secessionists of a kind?

Collapse -
Don't you mean...

the pot calling the kettle African-American?

Collapse -
Political post

Watch this one not be locked nor deleted. Extremist sympathisers me thinks. But then McCain didn't win as you so wanted him too, chuckle, chuckle, snicker, snicker. Face it this is nothing more then a Republican forum. My guess is one of you is rush limbaugh (caps removed to make a point)sneaking in a few posts during commercials.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.