Speakeasy forum

General discussion

NY Governor, Elliot Spitzer involved in Prostitution ring.

by James Denison / March 10, 2008 4:21 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NY Governor, Elliot Spitzer involved in Prostitution ring.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NY Governor, Elliot Spitzer involved in Prostitution ring.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well if
by whillk / March 10, 2008 7:19 AM PDT

Hillary looses nod for president she can run for gov.

Collapse -
..#9...
by WOODS-HICK / March 10, 2008 9:57 AM PDT

who are #1-8? and beyond?

another law enforcer breaks the law...allegedly. he can't be a 'reformer' and get caught in a sting. should he try to say he was: 'undercover'.

if it's true, he is history. what an idiot. too bad for his wife and kids. he had a promising career. there was talk of him becoming the first jewish president. oy!

usually it is only a misdemeanor. maybe the feds could bring in the 'mann act' or some other interstate telcom violation. that could push it to a felony.

humiliation and career-ender might be enough punishment for a wealthy, connected pol like spitzer. he could face sanctions from the bar association or lose license. I bet he has the 'goods' on others.

most likely he will go quietly and back to work for his zillionaire daddy.

he made many enemies when he was NY attorney-general so you have to wonder how he became a target.

this will be a great opportunity for new yorkers to find out who they elected lieutenant-governor.

Collapse -
He may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.
by Paul C / March 10, 2008 7:26 PM PDT
In reply to: ..#9...
Collapse -
another aspect was mentioned today
by WOODS-HICK / March 11, 2008 12:34 AM PDT

the bank notified the proper authorities of possible illegal banking transactions. the net that is used to alert for terrorists and all other suspicions of money laundering.

he also prosecuted prostitution rings so he should have been savvy as to the risk.

how did he here of this particular 'call-out' service. I would think he was referred by other satisfied clients. people in power that knew their indiscretions would remain discreet.

he is currently working on a 'deal' with the feds. his legal shoe is now on the other foot. if anyone can remove the stench and reappear as a spring bouquet it is spitzer.

more to come we can be sure. what version of the 'truth' will be accepted.

rumors are flying

Collapse -
They noticed...
by J. Vega / March 11, 2008 5:42 AM PDT

They noticed a dummy corporation in New York sending money to another dummy corporation in Washington, D.C. Both corporations consisted of just one man, the same one, the Governor. They suspected a possible blackmail situation and got a tap warrant based on that. It turned up not a blackmail situation, but a prostitution payment situation.

Collapse -
they noticed
by WOODS-HICK / March 11, 2008 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: They noticed...

"For one thing, the governor initially drew the attention of federal investigators because of cash payments to an account (QAT) * operated by a call-girl ring, according to a law enforcement official who spoke on condition of because of the sensitivity of the case.

Banks are required to file Suspicious Activity Reports to the government whenever they observe something they fear may be a crime......

That kind of activity, repeated over time, is just the kind of thing that would set off alarm bells with a bank's compliance officer, who is trained to be on the lookout for what is called structuring or "smurfing" _ a pattern of transactions aimed at hiding the nature or purpose of certain money....
"

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?nid=80&sid=1362886

also part of the 'patriot act'. if anyone has been to a bank in recent years, they notice the new scrutiny.

or as I said:

"the bank notified the proper authorities of possible illegal banking transactions. the net that is used to alert for terrorists and all other suspicions of money laundering."

* QAT company: what prosecutors say is a prostitution operation operating under the name of the Emperor's Club.

Collapse -
He hasn't admitted that so I guess it's "allegedly" involved
by Josh K / March 10, 2008 12:39 PM PDT

What a moron he is. I don't understand what makes public figures think they're LESS likely to get caught doing something wrong than people who don't have the press following them everywhere. That was what infuriated me when the Lewinsky thing broke. President Clinton knew the Republicans were just looking for him to jaywalk, throw a gum wrapper on the sidewalk, do anything they could use as an excuse to impeach him and he handed it to them on a silver platter.

The real irony here is that Spitzer was seen by many as a crusader for what was right and good, in the face of a frequently corrupt political system in New York. Hopefully he'll do the right thing and step down (unlike Larry Craig) and not drag it out (like Jim McGreevey).

Collapse -
Which is worst?
by James Denison / March 10, 2008 8:56 PM PDT

Having an affair while in office, or hiring a prostitute? I'd think hiring a prostitute, but some might disagree. An affair involves not only sex betrayal but also heart betrayal of one's spouse. However a prostitute is more likely to have a disease one might bring home to a spouse.

Another thing I've been wondering about, because I don't like it, is why do they always drag their wife out in front of the cameras to take a part of the public humiliation? Can't they face it on their own? Isn't that a sign of weakness on their part?

Collapse -
RE: Isn't that a sign of weakness
by JP Bill / March 10, 2008 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Which is worst?

They are trying to convey a "sign of strength within the family unit"?

My partner is sticking with me, why can't you?

Collapse -
others said same
by James Denison / March 11, 2008 11:03 AM PDT

In an email discussion with family and friends on the "why" others suggested the united front was to avoid maybe greater damage to the family if it seemed they weren't united in spite of the current problem.

Collapse -
I think the main difference.....
by Josh K / March 10, 2008 11:31 PM PDT

....is that hiring a prostitute is illegal. In most states adultery may be grounds for divorce but it's not a criminal offense. I could be wrong but I think there may be a couple of places in which it is a crime, but I don't think New York or Washington, DC are among them.

I don't understand why the wives always seem willing to do that either. Last night Jack Cafferty said that if he ever cheated, his wife would be standing over his bloody, lifeless body wondering "how do you reload this thing?" Happy

Collapse -
re: cafferty
by WOODS-HICK / March 10, 2008 11:57 PM PDT

he mentions often that he is from reno.

then goes on to quote one of johnny cash's songs:

"I shot a man in reno, just to watch him die"

cafferty does believe in 'frontier justice'

Collapse -
illegality
by James Denison / March 11, 2008 11:05 AM PDT

That's what they will get him on. Cross state transportation for purposes of prostitution. Not sure if they can make that stick to the john in addition to the madam.

As for her being there beside him, I'm thinking sin alone, repent alone. Of course there is intercession on behalf of another and maybe that's the way to look at it as regards his wife being there on the podium wiht him.

Collapse -
both are tragic for the family
by WOODS-HICK / March 11, 2008 12:22 AM PDT

both can lead to permanent damage: divorce, disease and humiliation.

I think prostitution should be legal. it is in nevada outside of reno and vegas. other countries throughout the world. history has proven you can not stop the 'world's oldest profession'. not sure if it is older than farming though. then one would have to remember versions of the 'garden of eden' story to rebut the hoer (one who hoes) theory.

then it could become a truly victimless crime. their would always be risks involved but greatly diminished.

there is the issue of exploitation for the men and women that would be the 'servicers' but if they are willing and consenting adults that would be moot.

then it would be a business. taxed and out of the shadows; not a source of wasted taxpayer resources. millions are spent on enforcement, incarceration and tying up the courts.

to your second issue:

they trot the wife out to indicate the husband is not 'evil'. might also keep the questioning civil out of respect for the family. she suffers the most directly in these circumstances and redemption is one of the escape mechanisms to save those souls. after-all it is implied in marriage vows.

some get their justice later, in divorce court.

Collapse -
legal prostitution
by James Denison / March 11, 2008 11:08 AM PDT

Do you think male prostitution should be legal in case your wife decides to "get serviced" if she's looking for something out of the marital "norm"?

Collapse -
prostitution is not asexual
by WOODS-HICK / March 11, 2008 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: legal prostitution
Collapse -
Perhaps
by Dan McC / March 11, 2008 1:36 AM PDT

she loves him and wishes to stand by him? Some marriages are like that. Some people are like that.

Dan

Collapse -
Reply:
by Paul C / March 11, 2008 10:44 AM PDT
Having an affair while in office, or hiring a prostitute? I'd think hiring a prostitute, but some might disagree. An affair involves not only sex betrayal but also heart betrayal of one's spouse. However a prostitute is more likely to have a disease one might bring home to a spouse.

And hiring a hooker doesn't involve a "heart betrayal of one's spouse?" Leave STD's out of this; both are equally wrong, reprehensible and wrong.

Hopefully, Mrs. Spitzer will get all of the money in the divorce!
Collapse -
The good news
by Dan McC / March 11, 2008 1:52 AM PDT

Terrorism, huge corporate corruption, kidnapping, missing persons, and other serious crimes are at such a negligible level that we have the law enforcement resources to burn at all levels tracking down a guy trying to get sex.

This must be a good day.

Dan

Collapse -
Yes, who cares about such things if
by Kiddpeat / March 11, 2008 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: The good news

the perp is a liberal? If he was a conservative, that would be a completely different kettle of fish.

Collapse -
If he is a "liberal"
by JP Bill / March 11, 2008 6:05 AM PDT

and "they" (whoever they are) are asking for his head. (his resignation and possibly charges)

What do you think they would ask for IF he was a conservative?

(Larry Craig,Republican,Conservative...He's still around, isn't he?)

Collapse -
But Larry Craig didn't really do anything wrong
by Josh K / March 11, 2008 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: If he is a "liberal"

Did he, KP?

Collapse -
How does...
by J. Vega / March 11, 2008 6:24 AM PDT

How does an accusation of soliciting sex in a public restroom involve the Feds? Funneling money between two dummy corporations in New York and D.C tends to attract their attention, as it crosses state lines.

Collapse -
It doesn't
by Josh K / March 11, 2008 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: How does...

KP was trying to turn this into a liberal/conservative thing. That's all my post was about.

Collapse -
It's OK to run Larry Craig out of office, but when
by Kiddpeat / March 11, 2008 9:38 AM PDT

it's a liberal democrat it's no big deal even though the law was broken by the liberal. Am I missing something here? Did the Dems leap up and defend Larry Craig because it's a private matter? No? Hmmmmmmmmm, I wonder why.

Collapse -
Who said it was no big deal?
by Josh K / March 11, 2008 10:34 AM PDT

Did you read my first post in this thread?

Collapse -
Link to the post where you defended Larry Craig when the
by Kiddpeat / March 11, 2008 2:13 PM PDT

heat was on. When the Dems were calling for action against him. That will prove that you are even handed. Words now merely serve you, but do absolutely nothing for Larry Craig.

Collapse -
Huh?
by Josh K / March 11, 2008 11:23 PM PDT

I never defended Larry Craig, and I'm not defending Eliot Spitzer. What are you talking about?

Collapse -
his private matter
by WOODS-HICK / March 11, 2008 1:13 PM PDT

occurred in a public restroom. the same ones children use.

sorry, larry. if you did it; there is no excuse. pleading guilty was dumb, even for a senator. is it dumb to know your preferences. let's vote.

Collapse -
How do you feel, Josh...
by J. Vega / March 12, 2008 2:06 AM PDT

Josh, how do you feel about the situation of Rep. Barney Frank and the gay prostitution operation that was running out of his D.C. apartment?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!