Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

NVidia Universal Driver Adapter not operable with Windows XP

I have an :

AMD K-6 2/300
160 Mb of SDRAM (PC 66)
PC CHIPS Motherboard
American Megatrends Bios v 1.47
120 Gb 8Mb memory Seagate Hard Drive (7200 rpm)
Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400 video card
SB 512 Soundwave audio card
Windows XP Pro Without SP1 or SP2 loaded (as yet)
.....but all other Windows XP updates installed.

I have tried every means possible to get my NVidia GeForce2 video card to work. Downloading the most recent Windows XP drivers, those from Nvidia and even gone to the newer UDA(Universal Driver Adapter) they now use. They boast it has been tested to work with Windows XP and even the DirectX 9.0 series all of which I have downloaded.....and still my computer video crashes....usually if I move to quickly from screen to screen or bring up my Windows Media Player.

I have turned down the hardware acceleration and that does help some but I still find myself losing my operating system and getting the usual "50" message for the Windows Crash screen...which usually indicates another Driver Device failure..... NVidia!.....

Are there any suggestions any one can recommend?
Here is what I have on my "HiJackThis" read out if it helps any:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 5:19:57 PM, on 11/27/2004
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\winpatrol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\JESSEG~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ZCTmp.Dir\FreeRAM XP Pro 1.40.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Jesse Gomez Jr\Desktop\My Download Programs\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe

O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: Web assistant - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Web assistant - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IS CfgWiz] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\cfgwiz.exe /GUID NIS /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [URLLSTCK.exe] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\UrlLstCk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\winpatrol.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FreeRAM XP] "C:\DOCUME~1\JESSEG~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ZCTmp.Dir\FreeRAM XP Pro 1.40.exe" -win
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1101339834772
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Jesse Jr.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NVidia Universal Driver Adapter not operable with Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NVidia Universal Driver Adapter not operable with Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: NVidia Universal Driver Adapter not operable with Window

In reply to: NVidia Universal Driver Adapter not operable with Windows XP

Your PC?s configuration it?s in the very low performance class for windows XP. K6/2 300, 160 MB.

Try the following things:

1. K6/2 at 300 MHz CPU was manufactured in two versions: 66 MHz and 100 MHz. So, make sure that the jumpers on the motherboard reflects yours (4.5 x 66 or 3 x 100 respectively).

2. I see that you have PC 66 memory modules. That generation motherbaord had a jumper for memory clock (CPU clock or AGP clock). So, if your CPU clock is 100 (i.e. you have the 100 MHz FSB CPU) and this is set on CPU clock, your PC might crash because of memory overclocking.

3. Your motherboard?s drivers should be installed. So, determine your model and search for them.

4. I don?t understand why you didn?t install any Service Pack, or am I missing something between the lines ?

5. Finally, your HijackThis log it?s clean.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: NVidia Universal Driver Adapter not operable with Window

Cetin

Thanks for your comments. I did mess with the jumpers on the motherboard when my motherboard Bios locked on me and was asking me for a password. I was able to reset the Bios and finally get into my bios and install a password then finally reload Windows Xp some time ago.

About the Windows SP1 & Sp2 I had not downloaded them because I only recently installed the Windows XP again after another crash with my Video card which had essentially locked me out of my own computer.

The jumpers I did move were located right next to my battery....so you were right on that count. There was another set of jumpers that seemed to have reset my bios and I was finally able to get in like I mentioned above.

Perhaps I am overclocking my memory with the vidwo card but the card itself has 32mb of memory itself. Does that not figure into this situation or will it still over clock my board's SDRAM?

My video card used to work with this same board many months ago and only until recently did it start to go out of whack. Could it be that SP1 or SP2 might improve it's, the video card's acceptance?

Thanks for your excellent insight by the way,
Jesse Jr.

Collapse -

Jesse,

>> There was another set of jumpers that seemed to have reset my bios <<

This is Clear CMOS jumper.

>> Perhaps I am overclocking my memory with the vidwo card but the card itself has 32mb of memory itself. Does that not figure into this situation or will it still over clock my board's SDRAM?<<

Let me clarify a liitle bit more. That jumper?s role (check your motherboard?s manual) was to use the same clock from AGP (66 MHz) or CPU (100 or 66 MHz, depending of your CPU type) for your SDRAM. So, if you have this jumper the safer mode for your PC 66 is to set it at AGP clock position, whatever your CPU type is.

I?d say again to find the motherboard?s drivers. I see that you have a SB card. That generation had terrible problems if your motherboard?s chipset is VIA based.

Another second thought is to try a power supply unit with a greater wattage (let?s say 300 W for your configuration or more if you plan to reuse it in the future).

So, taking into account the previous suggestions, try a clean installation again. Why ? Because Nvidia drivers could overlap. If you don?t do a clean uninstallation (sometimes not yours mistake) before installing the new ones you can have a hosed mix. I?m aware that the windows updates are tough especially for dialup users, but you can get the windows XP SP2 CD. After the clean installation, use for a while the Windows XP drivers (it has for your MX 200 card).

You are welcome and ?Good Luck?,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

Jesse, I defer to Cetin but the thing that really pops out is the 160mb of ram... in my thinking that is insufficient of Windows XP. I believe 225mb is considered the minumim but 512mb works best... my system was upgraded from 225mb to 512mb and works well.

After Centi's suggestions you might think about this.

Glenn

Collapse -
It's quite simple.

The motherboard chipset driver needs to support XP. Then the AGP or video card might work. But this board may not have the AGP SUPPLY WATTS to run this video card and will promptly fail.

A workaround is a PCI version since the PCI supply lines are direct from the power supply.

Bob

Collapse -

I tend to agree with Glenn. These high end video cards need lots of memory to function properly. Most of the gamers that I know use from 512m up to 2Gig. I'm using 256m mem and a ATI Radion version video board. There are times when my system peaks out that my video board flakes out and the program crashes..
Good luck, Ron

Collapse -
Increase your memory responce

If you find out that your problem stems from memory deficiencies, you have some other options:
1. To speed up memory swapping set your virtual memory to manual and try a max and min setting of 2X your physical memory. This way it removes the additional burdon of memory management from your processor.
2. If you have the space transfer your swap space from your C drive to another partition or better yet another drive. This will allow simultaneous reads and writes. There are several articles written on this subject. Sorry about running of like this....
Good luck , Ron

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.