Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

NVIDIA NVS 3100M crashes DirectX on Win 10

by Game_Woes2018 / April 9, 2018 8:16 AM PDT

Hello everyone this is a bit irking. I did a fresh install of Windows 10. Then installed the games I wished to play (and their redist). I tested these games using the default Microsoft Basic Display Driver. Only one game failed to load. That's fine, go ahead and install the NVIDIA driver as the games barely even function under the MBDD, and one won't load video at all just audio, the other "Failed to create Direct3D device" and I've seen other direct x errors when screwing around in the past to fix it. Which makes me thing it is a driver conflict with DirectX.

Any ideas?

Don't really think computer specs matter here but:

dell latitude
4GB DDR3
2.80ghz i7
NVIDIA NVS 3100M

Thanks in advanced for the help!

Post was last edited on April 9, 2018 8:17 AM PDT

Game_Woes2018 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NVIDIA NVS 3100M crashes DirectX on Win 10
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NVIDIA NVS 3100M crashes DirectX on Win 10
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Game_Woes2018

Collapse -
Same issue on some games, W10 and a Nvidia 360m
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2018 8:40 AM PDT

Sadly the games have started to go past what that GPU had so we had to replace the laptop with a newer GPU.

There was no patch or workaround.

Collapse -
Them the brakes
by Game_Woes2018 / April 9, 2018 8:55 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply, just seems weird the default MS adapter has support for these games when it is in most cases impossible to actually play most modern games with it.

Collapse -
Can you clarify something?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2018 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Them the brakes

I found the Microsoft choices of drivers to either be OK to completely wrong at times.

That is the stock install of W10 and Microsoft's choice of drivers is OK to get the machine working to the point I can disable Microsoft driver updates and then install what drivers I found to work.

At no time have I found Microsoft's video drivers to be the best. Just enough to get the machine ready for the next steps.

-> There is one huge exception to this finding and it is when the PC is a Microsoft Surface. Then I see Microsoft nail the drivers.

Collapse -
Answer
PS. I want to add this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2018 8:41 AM PDT

The issue occurred on Windows 7 so it is not an OS issue. It's the GPU limitations, drivers and games have moved past this old GPU.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?