Desktops forum

General discussion

nvidia GeForce 6100 on eMachines T6420 Question

by Hell2Pay / January 23, 2006 12:05 AM PST

Hi All:
I bought a T6420 which includes a Nvidia GeForce 6100. Is this video card good enough to play World of Warcraft? or is it good to play current pc games like BAttefield, HalfLife2, Fear etc...?

I am not to familiar with video cards and its performance. Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: nvidia GeForce 6100 on eMachines T6420 Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: nvidia GeForce 6100 on eMachines T6420 Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Emachine T6420
by BOOKLB / January 23, 2006 12:17 AM PST

My son plays these games and I am looking for a new system with the GeForce card. Have an Emachine now and looking at the Model you have now as another computer in the house. How does it run in general? How are your other games running on it? Everquest II online?

Collapse -
BOOBKLB
by Hell2Pay / January 23, 2006 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: Emachine T6420

Keep this in mind: I had an HP pavilion computer (6 yrs old) with windows 98.

In general computer runs great and fast. I had Bestbuy to do a "customization" for #29 and they say it will cut time when you "start" your computer. Basically it cuts down on software loading in the background. I am happy I pay for it since I dont know how to do it other than going to "starup" and unchecked the software manually. It has a Media Center and thats what I wanted cause of hooking it up with my 360 (which I did and its a plus). But, Pc doesnt have the "hook ups" to connect your pc to your tv, but I am pretty sure there are other ways in hooking it up (im getting info on this). I havent played any games like you mention (Everquest) that why I was asking if anyone else have. If you go to www.pcstats.com it will give you a more understanding of what this chipset can do (I barely learning the PC language/technically). I am assuming that it will run good with "low settings" if you play Everquest. But for Doom3 it doesnt cut it (pcstats).
But overall it is a great chipset for the money I paid for. Hope this helps you a little bit!

Collapse -
video card
by BOOKLB / January 26, 2006 7:07 PM PST
In reply to: BOOBKLB

Thank you for replying. I am still looking at upgrading to this video card for my son, and still researching it. Looks like it takes more psu to run.

Collapse -
Integrated graphics...
by jrmar07 / January 23, 2006 3:04 AM PST

The Nvidia 6100 is comparable to ATI Xpress 200, both integrated graphics. However, like the ATI chipset, there is a PCIe slot for a better graphics card. Yes, you can play those games on it, but at the lowest settings. I've played FEAR on the ATI Xpress 200 gpu and it wasn't very pretty. For optimum playing you're better to upgrade with a card.

Collapse -
jrmar
by Hell2Pay / January 23, 2006 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: Integrated graphics...

Thank you for your input greately appreciate it!

Collapse -
Performance and Gaming - Status
by Hell2Pay / January 25, 2006 11:58 PM PST

Hi All:
Just to give you a quick status on how my computer has work so far just in case anyone is interesting on how this computer model performs.

Performance: It is a fast computer and runs smooth with no hesitation. Programs load fast and quick (Bestbuy did a customization to do this). I transfer my music files with ease (cd to hard drive). I downloaded an episode of tv-show "Lost" to iTunes and downloaded as fast as possible (less then 2 min). Automically updates download fast. Overall computer has perform well and as espected.

Gaming: Since I am not a pc-gamer (only console gamer); I bought World of Warcraft and downloaded. Download was easy and without any pains. Everything run smoothly on the game. Keep it mind that I am a newbie at WOW so I didnt went to fight any bosses or there was not so much action on my screen. Everything look beautiful and crips. Video card is powerful enough to play this game with it. I didn't do any "adjustment" to my video card. I let the "default" settings and it runs smooth.

Problems Encounter: I had one problem encounter with this computer and not sure if it was me that cause it or something else. I went to NVidia websites and try to download "new drivers" for graphics card. Since I didnt pay much attention to what I was doing. I click on the download drivers and start downloading process. In the process the system just lack me out and game me error message. So I had to shut down my computer. Once I login back I notice that I didnt have access to the internet. So I decided to download my "roadrunner" disc to have access again. When I did it gave me a message that i didn't have a "NIC" connection (Network Internet Connection). At first I that what the hell is going on. Since I am not a pc guy and read the instruction booklet and decided that my best bit is to go back and ask the system to "restart me at the last time when my pc was working" (something to those lines). So I did, and walla; everything works. The only bad side of it is that I had to reload WOW but that was no biggie. Basically what I am saying is watch out if you download any nvidia drivers.

OVERALL: I am happy to purchase this computer, media center works wonderful with xBOX 360 the downside doesnt have a tv turner but you can purchase that at a later time and installed it. Video card is powerful enough and if you go to pcstat and do a search of (GeForce 6100) it will give you all the stats and performance of the chipset and video. In there it says that it is a good chipset and performs well above its competitors.

Collapse -
video card
by BOOKLB / January 26, 2006 7:11 PM PST

Thank you for the reply. Everyone seems to like GeForce card. We had originally upgraded with a ATI card, but feel the Geforce one will be better suited to crisp gaming.

Collapse -
Help with choosing a new GPU
by ikjadoon / March 21, 2006 7:40 AM PST
In reply to: video card

Before I start, I want to confirm that the computer does have a PCI-e x16. Hmmm... I don't think eMachines put in powerful PSU's, maybe a 400W. Some GPU's will work great with 400W, but most will not. Do you have a set price range for getting a new GPU? Factor in the price of a new PSU, maybe $50 or so. If you want less than $200, I'd recommend a 6600GT, or even a 6600. But a much better deal would be to spend $30 and get a better-performing 7600GT. It is about 30% faster than the GT, and for *just* a little more. Then for *just* a little more, well, actually, a little more than a little more, is the 7900GT. It is the second best card from nVidia and is only for $299. This is just my opinion, though. They all are great cards, but the 7600GT seems like the best option. Also, what resolution will you be playing at, and any AA or AF? Thanks!

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
Whoops!
by ikjadoon / March 21, 2006 7:40 AM PST
Collapse -
Running Doom 3
by hriad / March 19, 2006 11:56 PM PST

I just got a gateway pc with the 6100 integrated graphics and I can run Doom 3 at medium setting fairly smooth. the processor is the athlon x2 4200.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?