Question

NVidia GeForce 315M incompatibility with software

Greetings,

I am facing the following issue:
Recently, I installed a software for 3D landscaping and animation, called "Vue 8 complete". This is a fairly old version of the software; it was released in around summer 2010. Being a 3D type of software, it relies heavily on the GPU and supports OpenGL 2.1 (shader 4). Now, the problem is that even though my GPU is an Nvidia GeForce 315M, which does support same OpenGL as Vue, it is not recognized as being compatible by the program. Therefore, after displaying the following message "Sorry, your video board is not compatible with Vue", the application is restarted in software OpenGL mode. That, of course, is very slow and makes it difficult to work with the program.
So, I am wondering if there is some way I can bypass that incompatibility issue and make the program cooperate with my video board normally, meaning that I will be able to run it based on hardware OpenGL.

A possible solution that I thought of is by installing the oldest existing drivers for the video board. I do not know when exactly the NVidia GeForce 315M was released, but it has to be sometime in 2011. Does anyone know where I might find the oldest drivers for it? I am using a Toshiba satelite C670-14D computer, running Windows 7 64 bit version.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: NVidia GeForce 315M incompatibility with software
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: NVidia GeForce 315M incompatibility with software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
If there is a way

The company that wrote this app would know since folk would be asking this a lot.

As to the older drivers, unlike desktop video cards you know that the drivers can be specific to the laptop. Check the laptop's maker's page on that laptop to see if they archived drivers.

- Collapse -
Older drivers

Are you saying that I have to find drivers by Toshiba, instead of NVidia?

- Collapse -
I'm writing

That laptops can be very finicky beasts. My first stop for drivers is the maker's site for my laptop. If you want to chance it with other places, you would be ready for a machine wipe and factory restore.

CNET Forums