PC Hardware forum

General discussion

nvidia 7800gtx...

by nerdyboy1234 / June 22, 2005 2:02 PM PDT

how come there is no agp version? is the new ati fudo not gonna be agp either?

so ppl with agp slots will not be able to upgrade in the future?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: nvidia 7800gtx...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: nvidia 7800gtx...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just give it time....
by John Robie / June 22, 2005 5:34 PM PDT
In reply to: nvidia 7800gtx...

When the Nvidia 6600 came out it was PCIe, then they added AGP. Nvidia and ATI are no fools, they know there are still millions of AGP computers out there and will not dare miss out on the $$$ to be made. However, the gamers who will shell out $600 for a card are in a low percentile.

Collapse -
The gamers who can afford it at launch...
by thehat2k / June 22, 2005 10:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Just give it time....

The gamers who can afford this card at launch have upgraded to SLi systems already. In order to be number one, you need the best cards ( note the plural Wink
Just a note, I work for PC Outfitters in Windsor. We are one of the few serious shops that cater to gamers and have we ever. The moment news hit that the G70 was launched this week, the phone calls started coming in and we sold six in one day! An important piece of information for you to consider is that there wasn't a single AGP owner that inquired...And AGP parts should be out within a month or two.
I'm sure those that do in the coming weeks will be happy to have the time to save some coin to buy the 6800 series cards we will be trading in.

The Hat

Collapse -
well
by AKonny47 / June 23, 2005 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: nvidia 7800gtx...

i am sure they will make a agp version, but since pci express has more bandwith, supports sli, and recieves its power from the connector, it comes out first. this appeals to the hard core gamers that already have 6800 ultras in sli.i still dont see why those rich gamers are going to buy two $650 cards in a sli setup. that is unbelievable! just wait till the prices drop and everyone will be happier spending $580

konny

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) o forgot, just wait for 7800GT
by AKonny47 / June 23, 2005 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: well
Collapse -
their only $599 each, for GTX's
by ozos / June 23, 2005 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: well

in addition, the 7800GTX vs the 6800 Ultra is not an amazing performance increase, it's a marginal one

the 7800GTX's selling point/advantage comes in enhanced SM3.0 support in addition to new Anti-Aliasing and other IQ enhancement technologies from nVidia

it is however a more expensive GPU to produce (302 million transistors vs the 222 million of NV40) and it's on a smaller process (110nm vs 130nm of NV40)
so don't expect prices to drop amazingly fast

please also consider a few things

6800 Ultra's still eat up power, just because they aren't top dog doesn't mean their power requirement has gone down
same applies for GeForce FX 5950 Ultra (just saying that on a side note, considering some here seem to think the power requirement goes down when the card is no longer the most powerful)

secondly, the 7800GTX requires a power dongle in addition to the PCIE slot, PCIE just delivers more power, not all the power

I would say if you have AGP, don't even bother with a 7800, in comparison tests at THG the 6800's weren't getting it handed to them by the 7800's

7800GTX SLI scores about 11.5k in 3Dmark2005
6800 Ultra SLI scores about 9900-10000 (stock, but i've seen 13,000 with overclocking)

i'd say don't hold your breathe for R520 to be a killer, 10,000 in 3D05 doesn't seem so likely (maybe overclocked, i'm guessing something in the 4 digit score range, maybe 8k, but not 10)

in addition ATI doesn't launch for a few more weeks

i'd also like to point out that PCIE versions of these cards are less likely due to power requirements, and don't throw "they want to make money" back at me

GeForce 7600 (mid range, idk if 7600 is it's name, just guessing based on 2 previous generations using the same nomenclature system)
will most likely have an AGP version

same for ATi's midrange

the 7800 and top shelf R520's are targeted at performance users, who at this point all have PCIE for SLI or CrossFire (or are waiting on boards for CrossFire to be released)

AGP is no longer high end, and never will be again (not AGP 8x at least)

so seeing a 7800 on AGP is less likely, as PCIE is currently found in high performance, and brand spanking new systems

while AGP is found in older machines
my system is high performance yes, but i'm only using an AthlonXP, which sticks me into the upper middle class of PC's, not the elite, if I had dual PCIEx16 and a Socket 939 Athlon64 or an LGA 775 Pentium 4 or Pentium D

i'd be in that range
all of the new chipsets are PCIE, not AGP
Intel has basically dropped PATA and AGP
and AMD compatable boards are getting closer to doing the same

i'm not saying AGP 7800's is impossible, but i'm just saying please consider that it's not as likely as some say it is

it's a performance card, targeted at the performance market, who wants the latest and greatest, which is PCIE, therefore they'll put it into that market

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.