Computer Help forum

Question

Nvidia 610m BSOD Video_TDR_Failure (nvlddmkm.sys) & Code 43

Hello Everyone.

So for a few month now i have a troublesome problem with my Nvidia 610m graphic card.

i've been using my laptop to play Second Life for a few years and never had problems before.

But since a few month, i've been having a blue screen of the death with the error code : Video_TDR_Failure (nvlddmkm.sys)

if i recall corectly at first it only did it here and then and a reboot was enough to go back to play. Though as it happened more and more there was a time where i was surprise to see that i couldn't play my Game anymore, so i checked the device Manager and under the Nvidia grapic card i see a Code 43 (windows has stop this device...ect)

i tried many things to solve this problem :

- I've used Display Driver Uninstaller to make a clean install

- i've updated to the lastest drivers avaible everytime they came out.

- I've try going back to previous version of my graphic card driver. though i think windows update would automatically update it.

- i've tried updating my Bios (it was a solution that for some people worked it seems)

My Laptop has the Intel HD graphics 3000 integrated graphic card, but obiviously the performance are much lower with it...

also something that i've seen is that when i disable the Nvdia 610m for a few and enable it back later or reinstall a driver or something like that, the card will work, and i'll be able to use it for a few days maybe but then at some point i'll have the BSOD again and when i'll reboot the code 43 will be back.

at this point i'm out of ideas, the question i'm asking myself is how can i be sure if the problem is about the driver or software, or if the problem is simply a hardware issue ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks for reading.
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nvidia 610m BSOD Video_TDR_Failure (nvlddmkm.sys) & Code 43
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nvidia 610m BSOD Video_TDR_Failure (nvlddmkm.sys) & Code 43
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The bad news is.

In reply to: Nvidia 610m BSOD Video_TDR_Failure (nvlddmkm.sys) & Code 43

Collapse -
Software or hardware ?

In reply to: The bad news is.

"Almost always a driver issue or a damaged gpu.
Prior discussions are out at https://www.google.com/search?q=Video_TDR_Failure+(nvlddmkm.sys)+%26+Code+43"

I would love for it to be only a driver issue, but if it's a hardware problem it can't be helped, i just want to be sure where the problem lays, that's why i'm willing to try anything possible driver/software related before going to repair.

"Did you disable Windows from updating the driver? "

Hm nope, never tried that, should i ?

Collapse -
Yes. you must disable Windows driver updates.

In reply to: Software or hardware ?

You yourself wrote it worked for a time so the best hope here is to repeat what you did before but with the driver update feature disabled.

As to be sure it's not hardware, that's elusively simple. You setup the machine to it's factory issued OS. You don't install windows and drivers. You use the factory restore media. If all is well, it works.

Collapse -
New try

In reply to: Yes. you must disable Windows driver updates.

Alright i'm gonna try disabling the windows update for the nvidia graphic card (though i'll have to look up how) and then i'll reinstall the nvidia driver that i'll download from the Nvidia website.

Sounds about right ?

"As to be sure it's not hardware, that's elusively simple. You setup the machine to it's factory issued OS. You don't install windows and drivers. You use the factory restore media. If all is well, it works."

Well the problem is that setting up the laptop to it's factory settings (Windows 7) means i'll have to back up all my settings, data and softwares... which is a bit of a pain. but well i guess i'll ultimately have to do that if anything else doesn't work.

Collapse -
At the shop not as painful because .....

In reply to: New try

We will swap out the HDD with a blank one for testing. HDDs are 50 to 100 bucks and deep diagnostics time is costing the owner 150 per hour so we have the gear to do this right.

Collapse -
Flop..

In reply to: At the shop not as painful because .....

Well i guess it would cost me more to take it to the repair though.

Ok so here the updated of what i did:

i've disabled the windows automatic driver update.
i've uninstalled my Nvidia graphic driver using DDU in safe mode.
i've reinstalled the lastest graphic driver for my nvidia graphic card donwload from the Nvdia official website.
And i unfortunately still got the Eror Code 43 in the device manager...

is there anything else i could try ?

i'm not really motivated to do a complete fresh install because i'm worried that it won't fix the problem and i'll have to restart from zero... isn't there a software way to locate precisely the source of the problem ?
Collapse -
Error 43

In reply to: Flop..

Is well discussed. For me I treat it as a driver issue first because, cheap compared to hardware changing.

I go get the motherboard BIOS and Chipset drivers up to date and then try the GPU drivers again. If this fails, it's time to swap boards.

Collapse -
Bios & Chipset drivers.

In reply to: Error 43

Where can i get the motherboard BIOS and chipset drivers of my laptop ?

it's an ASUS K53SD.

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Small world.

In reply to: Bios & Chipset drivers.

My brother has the K53 with AMD A6 I think and it is no gamer. It has never worked to run games without errors. It's now a nice office machine.

Here's Asus's page for the k53sd
https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/K53SD/helpdesk_download/

I can't find what OS you are running but you can go get drivers and apps from this page for Windows 7 and 8.x. While W10 is not supported, you might find the 8.x drivers to function but bomb out on games just like ours does.

Collapse -
Answer
PS. Now that I know the make, model of the laptop.

In reply to: Nvidia 610m BSOD Video_TDR_Failure (nvlddmkm.sys) & Code 43

If the problem happens after a few minutes of play be sure that the owner has been using canned air to the vents on a regular schedule. It this is unknown, start with a daily vent cleaning for a week. Canned air and how to use is all over the web so I won't write at length.

Collapse -
Bios & Chipset drivers.

In reply to: PS. Now that I know the make, model of the laptop.

Ok, so for the bios update, if i recall correctly i already updated it, and downloaded from the page you gave me. but i guess it doesn't hurt to do it again, just in case.

as for the chipset drivers though, i see a "chipset" section for windows 8. but then how do i install it ? it doesn't seem to have a an EXE file.
(that's what i need to use to update the chipset driver right ? i've never done chipset drivers i think...)

"If the problem happens after a few minutes of play be sure that the owner has been using canned air to the vents on a regular schedule. It this is unknown, start with a daily vent cleaning for a week. Canned air and how to use is all over the web so I won't write at length."

About that, actually the blue screen of the death doesn't appear after a given time, it's very random. like i said in the initial post, sometimes after i've disabled the graphic card for a few days and turn it back on, it works, and it can works for a few days, no matter how long i play my game (Second Life) or use a 3d program (Blender) and one day randomly it'll give me the BSOD with the tdr failure and then when it'll reboot, the code 43 will be back.
also i'd like to precise that i'm using a cooler pad under my laptop.
Collapse -
If BIOS is current, do not update.

In reply to: Bios & Chipset drivers.

It's something that once done is done.

The random blue screen can be caused by games. For example a poor soul had us work on a BSOD and we found that the game would indeed BSOD when certain settings were used. It took a bit of sleuthing but the end result was "don't use that setting." Since it was a laptop and only a few versions of the drivers worked at all, the fix was "don't do that."

You also note that time is a factor. Not a specific time so given what this machine is, and my brother owns a k53 it is very important to keep the vents and heatsinks clean.

Collapse -
BSOD & Chipset

In reply to: If BIOS is current, do not update.

ah it's possible that it's a setting from "Second Life" that causes it then... i'm not 100% sure if it was always the case but most of the time, the BSOD appeared when i was playing this game. so yeah it could be that indeed.

But something that i don't understand, why a reboot or a clean install doesn't fix the code 43 ? it's like i have a to wait a few days before it goes away. what could be the cause of that ?
the heat ? the dust ?

and about the chipset driver that i've donwload from the ASUS website, actually it had a setup.exe file, though, when i run it, a message appear warning me that there is a more recent version already installed on my computer and ask me if i'm sure that i want to overright it.

should i do it ?

Collapse -
Code 43.

In reply to: BSOD & Chipset

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!