HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Numeric keypad vs number keys

by volvogirl / November 8, 2009 3:03 AM PST

Here's a technical question for you. I just discovered that to type a symbol using the alt key (like alt+0189 for 1/2) you have to use the number keypad and can't use the top row of numbers. I was helping my husband type in a degree sign on his laptop and he couldn't do it unless he holds down the blue fn key & the alt key and types the number using the keypad keys. Tried it on my desktop, same same. Never noticed that before.

Why can't you use the number keys on the top row above the letters?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Numeric keypad vs number keys
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Numeric keypad vs number keys
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's designed that way
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 8, 2009 3:58 AM PST

Sorry, but I can't give a better answer than that.

Typically the number keypad does not have additional characters, (the ones you access from the number keys on the keyboard proper by pressing Shift), so may be that has some bearing on it.

Or, possibly there is another factor. Some users will need these extended characters often, and using a number keypad is like using the old calculator or till machines that used to be used in accounting offices or in shops. It is more convenient for fast access under just one hand with the other simply pressing the Alt key. No good for me though because, although I am right handed, I always used my left hand for these calculator machines and my right hand doesn't 'remember' as fast as my left does!

That's the best I can do! Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Office can make it hard
by wil_peter / November 8, 2009 5:08 AM PST

but the "Insert\Symbol" dialog box doesn't give a perfect set of answers to the Shortcut keys. My keyboard has the number pad but has no FN key, so the Alt+0189 combo works for ?. I type a few foreign quotes and found that the Symbol shortcut is sometimes harder than it needs to be. For r

Collapse -
So you have a desktop?
by Kees Bakker / November 8, 2009 5:37 AM PST

Most laptops don't have a separate numeric part like a standard 101-key keyboard. So it's simulated by the uiojklm,. square or thereabout. But, of course, the k key already is used for k and K so you need another key than the shift also. Clumsy, indeed.

That's why they sell separate numeric keypads (can connect via USB) for the bookkeepers and accountants among us. But that's not always practical on a laptop either when travelling. For home or office use connecting a standard keyboard to a laptop is preferable (and cheap!). Same, of course, for a mouse (compared to the built-in mouse pad). And a separate monitor (on a more ergonomic height then so low on the desk) doesn't harm either.

Kees
For normal diacritics on a laptop, or if you don't know the alt-numbers, it's easier to use the 'silent' keys (like on a old-fashioned typewriter!). To write the the grave accent in fr

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.