HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

Question

Number to dial to reach a german cell # that is in the US

by adisander / August 22, 2014 8:39 AM PDT

My mother has her phone with her, with both a german cell phone number and SIM card, and both of us are currently in the USA. When trying to reach it, using the normal 011 49 (phone number) method fails. What do we have to dial to call her (from a USA landline connection)?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Number to dial to reach a german cell # that is in the US
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Number to dial to reach a german cell # that is in the US
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Doesn't it need more? The mobile carrier code?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2014 9:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
I include the carrier code as part of the phone number
by adisander / August 23, 2014 12:15 AM PDT

I include the carrier code as part of the phone number, as you have to dial it in Germany as well, in fact I cannot recall ever having seen a mobile number without the carrier code included. Using the method on the linked site fails though, resulting in a (German) message saying the number is not available, even though texts from the mobile have worked.

As to the charges, we mostly just want it in case of emergency, and are aware of the potential costs. Thank you nonetheless.
Alex

Collapse -
Then it's not on a roaming plan.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2014 1:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
It's entirely possible that the German/Euro carrier offers..
by Pepe7 / August 23, 2014 4:21 AM PDT

...a north american number for support. YMMV. If not, using the online chat option from their support pages is often a great workaround while travelling and dealing with carrier related issues/feature changes.

Collapse -
Thank you
by adisander / August 23, 2014 6:32 AM PDT

very much both of you, this goes a bit beyond what we had hoped for as a quick solution in case of an emergency, but we'll definitely keep it in mind for next time.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm German too...
by mr-simonski / August 25, 2014 6:39 PM PDT

Hallo mein Freund,

Ok, the answer is really easy: you have to call her cell phone number in Germany, then the signal is routed back to the US. So you have to call for example +49 171 23456789. If she wants to reach your cell phone, the same rule apply.

Of course it's very expensive to call from a US landline to a German cell phone. Additionally your mom will be charged for routing the phone call back to the US, up to 2€/min. I would suggest you get a prepaid sim card.

Viel Spass noch in den USA,
Simon

Collapse -
Re-read the whole thread
by Pepe7 / August 26, 2014 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm German too...

We covered that quite nicely Wink

You are missing the point that she doesn't have roaming turned on, hence her not being able to be reached, not being able to connect to US cellular sites.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.