Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Number lock problem

by greavsie / October 9, 2004 4:50 PM PDT

I have 3 users on my xp home edition & the administrator is protected by a password to stop the kids messing up the pc. Each time I boot my pc & go to enter the password I have to hit the number lock key first. Not a big problem I know, annoying none the less, any suggestions gratefully received.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Number lock problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Number lock problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Number lock problem
by Papa Echo / October 9, 2004 6:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Number lock problem

Is the Num locl light on when you boot up ? What prompt you to hit Num Lock ? Num lock can be adjusted to be ON or OFF when you boot up.

Collapse -
The default setting...
by Papa Echo / October 9, 2004 6:18 PM PDT

can be adjusted at the BIOS (F2, Esc.....while booting up).

Collapse -
Soy Vaio GRX-600P and numlock (laptop)
by teagan1 / October 11, 2005 10:02 AM PDT

unable to get bios to disable num-lock and Nothing within the control panet for xp pro SP2 either. Is there a safe way to do a regedit without screwing myself in the process?
Thanks
Tim

Collapse -
I take it this is a different problem?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 11, 2005 9:37 PM PDT

Why are you unable to get into BIOS?

Mark

Collapse -
Keyboard settings in BIOS
by teagan1 / October 12, 2005 12:15 AM PDT

Can get into Bios but there are no settings for the keyboard. Tried saving XP with with NL off and it claims to save settings but when I turn machine back on num lock is on again. also tried turning it off before logging on since it boots in on state. after ctl-alt-del it's back on.
Thanks for checking out question.
Tim

Collapse -
Have you tried Microsoft KB
by danthelanman / October 12, 2005 3:15 AM PDT

If you go to Microsoft.Com and look for Knowledge Base article # 154529. Quick and easy instructions there that worked for me.

It's a registry edit so use care.

Good Luck.

Collapse -
Easy edit..
by Edward ODaniel / October 12, 2005 6:19 AM PDT

of the registry.

Simply open Regedit and go to:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard]

in the right window locate the InitialKeyboardIndicators

Change its value to your preference of one of the seven allowed values. (You likely want it to be 0 and that is a ZERO, not the letter O 0 = NUMLOCK is turned off after logon, 2 = NUMLOCK is turned on after logon)

0 - all indicators off
1 - Caps Lock on
2 - Num Lock on
3 - Caps Lock and Num Lock on
4 - Scroll Lock on
5 - Caps Lock and Scroll Lock on
6 - Num Lock and Scroll Lock on
7 - Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock on

Collapse -
Unless you have Intellipoint...
by Edward ODaniel / October 12, 2005 6:27 AM PDT

installed then you would want to make the following edit:

Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Control Panel\ Microsoft Input Devices\ Keyboard (If the Keyboard key isn't there, add it.)

Select New from the Edit menu, then String Value, and type NumLock for the name of the new value.

Double-click on this new value, and type either ON or OFF in the box that appears, depending on your preference.

Close the Registry Editor when you're done and the change should take effect the next time you start Windows.

Collapse -
or......
by Red_Sharpie / October 12, 2005 2:46 PM PDT

Or u could just stop comlaining and hit the damn button every time. Don't be lazy.

Collapse -
Obviously you're a type B person.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 13, 2005 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: or......

Type A's think life's too short to waste part of it doing useless tasks!
-- Dave K,

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) which BIOS do you have?
by jonah jones / October 13, 2005 1:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
Maybe this will work
by EZRIDER714 / October 13, 2005 3:08 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.