Storage forum

General discussion

Numb and Blind DVD DVD Drive

by fantazos / November 20, 2004 9:48 AM PST

Trouble with DVD Drive: it shows the drive but does not acknowledge the presence of a disc in drive. I've tried various things and now I seem to need a new nudge from some enlighten mind regarding what else is there to do. My DVD Drive is from a really exotic and elusive, as it turns out, manufacturer: AGI Technologies, where apparently one of their bloody technologies is disappearence.The thing is called ATAPI DVD STAR2000.Curiously- it plays any kind of a CD/R but no DVDs....My OS is Win98.I have plenty of Memory and Direct X #9.In Device Manager under CD ROM Controllers I have only one driver, one for Drive D, where I have CD/R/RW but nothing that would govern the DVD Drive because there is nothing I can find for it and when I got it it came naked without any instr. or software. It may be it doesn't need one, but than- what does it need to play properly? Help,enlighten, lead out of darkness, please!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Numb and Blind DVD DVD Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Numb and Blind DVD DVD Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Numb and Blind DVD DVD Drive
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2004 10:06 AM PST

If I find a DVD drive that shows a drive letter, but can't read any disks, then I save people time and money by trying a known working drive.

Try a known working drive.

Oh! You want to test this drive? Here's the test. Try to boot from said drive. If it can't boot a CD, then it's 99.99% likely to be dead.

Bob

Collapse -
by fantazos / November 20, 2004 10:25 AM PST

Dear Mr. Bob,
What does it mean "to boot from a drive?"

Collapse -
Try this bootable CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2004 10:35 AM PST
Collapse -
by fantazos / November 20, 2004 11:09 AM PST

Thank you most kindly. I am downloading the Basic CD Bootable for Windows.Meanwhile I hope it will not require to communicate with my system in DOS: there is always something that stomps me whenever I tried to get into diagnostics.I am at moments of exasperation ready to do what you suggested- to buy a next DVD Drive, but then, I had so little use of this one and in the past it worked . It even worked yesterday, before I tried to improve everything with the newest Direct X and some free diagnostic tools. I will put up another fight before I will collect my body from the ground and shamble to Best Buys to get another suspect DVD Drive...

Collapse -
The ultimatebootcd...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2004 11:13 AM PST

It's not so much you need to use the utilities on it, its for the bootable feature so you can see if that DVD drive can boot from it. I use such all the time to tell if the drive has failed. Then I put in a good drive and a test boot tells if it works.

Some want a "test" so this is the one I find to be easy without touching the OS on the hard disk.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: The ultimatebootcd...
by fantazos / November 20, 2004 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: The ultimatebootcd...

Question: my system is apparently aware of the Drive E, where I have the DVD Drive and it even works, as a CDRom device: what it does not want to do is to what it ostensibly suppose to be-namely a DVD Drive!Is that a problem solvable among the BIOS? Is it something within CD ROM Controllers or ,perhaps in Hard Disk Controllers, with all those Primery and Secondary stuff? Forgive me if I sound idiotic, but it is not ,obviously a familiar ground to my mind.

Collapse -
What are "Drive!Is"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2004 11:49 AM PST

Is that some program you installed?

I've seen many ZOMBIE DVD drives. Ones that don't see DVD and others that see DVD, but not CDROM. You can find these posts here.

If it shows a drive letter and works with CD, then the cable, master, slave and IDE is likely just fine. Many owners grasp for hope the drive can be saved...

In closing, you can try uninstalling then installing your DVD software player.

Bob

Collapse -
Recap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2004 11:56 AM PST

I've re-read the dialogue and it's unclear if it really is connected to the machine. You do need to power down, pull the case cover and make sure the IDE cables are seated into the units.

Also, that the BIOS SCREEN shows the drives. Some do, some don't.

If the drive has died, can't boot, etc, you may want to consider a DVD recorder. Not much more than what you paid for a DVD drive? http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DD0405-N&cat=DVD

In closing, did this unit ever work? I didn't read if it did.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Recap.
by fantazos / November 20, 2004 12:08 PM PST
In reply to: Recap.

Yes, it worked first time when I bought it, about 2 years ago. Then I took it out and now reinstalled it and it worked yesterday for a while and I went to bed feeling good. Today is functioning only with CDs, no DVD is recognised as present there.

Collapse -
It used to work!
by fantazos / November 20, 2004 12:10 PM PST
In reply to: Recap.

Yes, it worked first time when I bought it, about 2 years ago. Then I took it out and now reinstalled it and it worked yesterday for a while and I went to bed feeling good. Today is functioning only with CDs, no DVD is recognised as present there.

Collapse -
Did you uninstall and reinstall the DVD player?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2004 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: It used to work!

DVD movies rarely work without this step.

Bob

Collapse -
not yet
by fantazos / November 20, 2004 12:42 PM PST

I want to do that, but I am still downloading Ultimate BOOT and it takes forever to download 68 MB on dial-up. Sometime tonight I will try my luck with reinstalling WinDVD 6 tial version.I looked up Microsoft System Information utility and under Components, in Storage it lists Hard Drive, Floppy and both CDRom and my unhappy DVD Drive as well.

Collapse -
Small boot CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2004 12:49 PM PST
In reply to: not yet
Collapse -
very thankfull
by fantazos / November 21, 2004 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: Small boot CD.

I want to add my gratitude for your patient and sagacious advice. I have to confess that at the end I am returning to your original advice:get a spank new DVD Drive! Once I saw how inexpesive they become since I bought mine I feel I can buy one every month and chuck them out like a used lollypops.Thank you again,with my best,Henryk.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.