Laptops forum

Question

Num Lock causes keyboard to type numbers

by eaglepilot6 / June 20, 2012 9:29 AM PDT

I have a HP DV9720us laptop running Windows Vista. This particular model has a 17" screen and full keyboard with number pad (one of the reasons I bought it). My problem is when the num lock is cycled it causes half of the keyboard to become a number pad, j=1,k=2 etc. and I can't type words without turning off num lock. I have tried the Fn+F11, Fn+Ctrl/Alt/Shift etc., no combo works. I have also unistalled the drivers and rebooted. I have even enabled my device manager to show hidden/old drivers and deleted every driver in the keyboard and mouse dropdowns. I did this because I have used a USB wireless mouse and keyboard, although I rarely use the keyboard. When I do use the keyboard, the numlock works correctly and also fixes the laptop keyboard, until I press the num lock key on the laptop. I have flashed the BIOS, and there are no settings for num lock in the BIOS. I have run all of my anti-virus and spyware programs and have come up clean.

The computer will boot normally and I can use the keyboard fine, until I hit num lock, usually on accident because it's close to backspace. Other than being annoying, the keyboard and computer work fine. I'm not sure what else to try. Please help!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Num Lock causes keyboard to type numbers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Num Lock causes keyboard to type numbers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I saw this ONE TIME
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 10:16 AM PDT

And it was because the owner had installed some keybaord driver. Another time but not witnessed by me was they installed some OS other than from the restore media.

BTW, that is proper for a normal laptop keyboard and I hope you looked at the keyboard options in the control panel. I'm sorry but I may have skipped that since it's a basic windows skill.
Bob

Collapse -
Checked Settings
by eaglepilot6 / June 21, 2012 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: I saw this ONE TIME

I also checked the settings for languages as well as the ease of access settings. Everything looked normal to me. I did have a message pop up saying "This copy of Windows in unauthorized". I noticed in other forums this happened to very few others with the keyboard problem. I solved that by using the keycode on the bottom of the computer. I will try to reinstall Vista from the disks.

Collapse -
So you didn't check the keyboard type in control panel?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Checked Settings

Again, sorry but that's a basic windows install skill. Try other keyboards in the control panels.

Collapse -
Cannot Reinstall Vista
by eaglepilot6 / June 21, 2012 7:07 AM PDT

When I try to boot from the recovery disks I made from the Recovery Manager I get this message "This PC is not supported by the System Recovery Discs. You will not be able to continue to recover this system with these discs."

Collapse -
Head to HP.COM NOW!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Cannot Reinstall Vista

Click on the Chat button and report this NOW.

HP has some machines that do that and it was due to an error on their part. At best you'll get the restore media for free or for shipping charges. ASK NOW.

How did it go with trying other keyboards in the control panels?

Collapse -
Warranty Expired
by eaglepilot6 / June 21, 2012 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Head to HP.COM NOW!

My warranty has expired and I can't use their chat option. This computer is ~5 yrs old, but works fine for what I need. I submitted a tech request form, but they may not help or may charge me since I'm no longer covered by their 1yr warranty.

Collapse -
DOES NOT MATTER.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Warranty Expired

HP has shipped out those CDs in cases where they messed up. You might not be able to use the chat but you can use the phone.

Collapse -
HP says "Bad Motherboard"
by eaglepilot6 / June 21, 2012 1:55 PM PDT
In reply to: DOES NOT MATTER.

HP tech said over the phone that the motherboard is going bad. Because it is 5 years old they cannot repair it and they also do not have recovery disks for 5 year old Windows Vista computers. He was more than willing to recommend and to sell me a new computer, which I declined. I guess I'll just back up everything and live with a funky keyboard until it dies.

Thank you for trying to help R.Proffitt.

Collapse -
Forgot...
by eaglepilot6 / June 21, 2012 1:56 PM PDT

I forgot to mention I tried booting up using Ubuntu and in safe mode, same keyboard problem.

Collapse -
Sorry but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 3:01 PM PDT

If I saw this machine I would be looking at the BIOS settings as well as what keyboard was selected in all the OSes.

It seems that folk are unaware of that area today.
Bob

Collapse -
Maybe
by eaglepilot6 / June 22, 2012 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry but

Maybe I'm overlooking a setting.
My BIOS settings are....

[Main]
System Time/Date
Notebook Model: (BLANK)
Product Number: (BLANK)
System Board ID: 30D1
Service ID: 00000
Processor Type/Speed/Memory
BIOS Version: F.34
Serial Number: (BLANK)
UUID Number: 0000000000000000000000000000
Factory Installed OS: non-Vista

[System Configuration]
Language:English,
Button Sound:Enabled,
Dedicated Video Memory:128MB,
Virtualization Technology: Disabled

There are no settings for Num Lock or keyboard in the BIOS

In my control panel when open Keyboards I have options for repeat delay, repeat rate, & cursor blink rate. Under the hardware tab I have 3 devices (all disable options greyed out). They are Standard PS/2 Keyboard, HID Keyboard Device, and HID Keyboard Device. Under device properties for
Standard PS/2 Keyboard...
Mfc: (Standard Keyboards),

HID Keyboard Device...

HID Keyboard Device...

Under Regional Settings the only installed keyboard is EN English (United States)>Keyboard>US

Are there other settings I should be looking for?

Collapse -
Here's the MSFT article.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2012 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe
Collapse -
No Joy
by eaglepilot6 / June 23, 2012 1:59 AM PDT

I tried all different combinations of Alt, Fn, Ctrl, Shift, Num Lock, F11 etc. Nothing helped.
I tried these combos in both Vista and Ubuntu, both installed and from a LiveCD. The keyboard settings in Ubuntu were just like in Windows, only 1 keyboard option and settings were set on English US. The keyboard layout on Ubuntu which shows what keys are being pressed shows the numpad numbers being pressed when I hit J K L etc.

Collapse -
Answer
Sadly
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2012 2:53 AM PDT

I think I'd have to see the machine to go any further. It could be someone or thing did something odd with the BIOS or config but the usual is not working here.

It's time for this to be seen at the shop or such.

Frankly I'd leave the numlock off and get use from the machine. Any repair counter here runs at least 120 bucks and most shops are not that good at this.

If you are in San Diego area I'd look but don't expect much from me. That is, I only look as a courtesy.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.