Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Nuclear. Nuclear. NUCLEAR!

by Dan McC / April 28, 2005 10:53 AM PDT

How freakin' difficult is it to say 'nuclear'?

Wow!

Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nuclear. Nuclear. NUCLEAR!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nuclear. Nuclear. NUCLEAR!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm not sure what your complaint is
by drpruner / April 28, 2005 10:57 AM PDT

(Dubya's fractured English?), but:
Can any of us mistyping, misreading SE folks rightly cast a stone? Happy
Regards, Doug in New Messico

Collapse -
Rather have a bumbling speaker
by duckman / April 28, 2005 11:01 AM PDT

I can trust than a slick tongued willy

Collapse -
(NT) well you know they think kerry was for real
by Mark5019 / April 28, 2005 11:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
I have no ideeaarr ...
by Evie / April 28, 2005 11:42 AM PDT

... what you're talking about. Unequivocably!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I missed the broadcast
by Steven Haninger / April 28, 2005 11:01 AM PDT

Thanks for the summary.;)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Dunno ... ask Jimmy Carter
by Evie / April 28, 2005 11:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
Did Carter mispronounce it?
by drpruner / April 28, 2005 11:24 AM PDT

That's neat; great example of something or other. Do you remember that he was a graduate engineer in- nooculer power? Happy
Here's a related true joke, wasted on you if you're not a football fan.
Legendary Detroit Lions QB Bobby Layne was old-school NFL from a Texas college. Caught driving erratically; the cop wrote him up, in part because 'his speech was slurred.'
At his trial, Bobby said, 'He misunderstood my Texas accent.' Acquitted.
Bumper stickers appeared afterward: "Ah ain't drunk - Ah'm from Texas"

Collapse -
Carter had a weird pronunciation
by EdH / April 28, 2005 6:13 PM PDT

Noo-kee-yuh or something like that. I remember we used to laugh at it when he said it. On second thought we used to laugh at him when he said just about anything.

Collapse -
This is a guy who could not remember....
by Josh K / April 29, 2005 12:14 AM PDT

...what the State of the Union address was called. That said, I suppose he has to get a bit of a pass on "nucular" since Jimmy Carter used to mispronounce it too. Come to think of it, Jack Bauer says it that way also and he's saved the world three times already! Happy

I didn't watch the press conference. Every time I listen to him talk I get a headache -- mainly from slapping my forehead in disbelief at the things that come out of his mouth.

Collapse -
Still rather have a bumbler
by duckman / April 29, 2005 12:17 AM PDT

I can trust than a slick tongued willy

Collapse -
I saw a clip of Bush & Cheney the other day
by Josh K / April 29, 2005 1:19 AM PDT

They were making a public appearance of some kind, and the look on Cheney's face was priceless. His expression was like, "yeah, I know he's a boob, you don't have to tell me....."

LOL.

Collapse -
I often have that look on my face when
by MarciaB / April 29, 2005 1:39 AM PDT

I read some of the SE posts. Of course the main difference being that millions of people are not seeing it Wink

Collapse -
Petty. Petty. PETTY!
by MarciaB / April 29, 2005 12:17 AM PDT

Sorry, Dan, but that is how I see something like this.

Collapse -
Not really.
by Dan McC / April 29, 2005 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Petty. Petty. PETTY!

If I were being petty I'd comment on how he keeps that idiotic/puzzled little grin on his stupid face regardless of the seriousness of the topic he's discussing. I don't comment on that because I truly believe that it is beyond his ability to control.

I do believe that if he applied himself he could pronounce the common word 'nuclear' correctly.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) and did you whine about it when carter said it i doubt it
by Mark5019 / April 29, 2005 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really.
Collapse -
Two points.
by Dan McC / April 29, 2005 1:07 AM PDT

First, every comment you disagree with is not automatically a whine. So just get over it, Mark. You've bored the forum with that for way too long.

Second, I didn't spend much time listening to politicians when I was that age. It is unlikely that I commented on it at all.

Dan

Collapse -
I not going to call you a whiner, but
by duckman / April 29, 2005 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Two points.

I do think it is petty to harp about the word. When GW was running in 2000, he wasn?t my first choice and I did cringe when he spoke. But after 9/11 I didn?t care how he said anything as long as I believed that he believed what he was saying. That is far more important to me.

Collapse -
Words are important.
by Dan McC / April 29, 2005 1:44 AM PDT

What words we choose and how we choose to say them is very important. They are a reflection, not only of our ideas, but of how we think. They are also what people use to evaluate a person and their ideas, in large part.

A president should do better. Much better.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You have no idearr what you're talking about
by Evie / April 29, 2005 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Words are important.
Collapse -
(NT) That is where you are wrong.
by Dan McC / April 29, 2005 1:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) YOUR words say otherwise.
by Edward ODaniel / April 29, 2005 2:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) meanings of words are important
by duckman / April 29, 2005 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Words are important.
Collapse -
(NT) Also
by Dan McC / April 29, 2005 2:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) empty reply
by duckman / April 29, 2005 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Also
Collapse -
(NT) and please serve some cheese with it
by Mark5019 / April 29, 2005 2:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Wow! Dan is almost right...
by Edward ODaniel / April 29, 2005 2:38 AM PDT

RIGHT - First, every comment you disagree with is not automatically a whine. So just get over it, Mark.

Once in a great while rather than a whine they are a whimper. Rather than getting "over it" one just gets used to it like wind in the trees, sirens on the street, and other obnoxious noises.

WRONG - You've bored the forum with that for way too long.

That would be your own personal problem as well as action Dan.

RIGHT - Second, I didn't spend much time listening to politicians when I was that age.

And it is noted that you still don't.

WRONG - It is unlikely that I commented on it at all.

You have commented on it in this very forum on previous occasions when Carter was mentioned or in the news.

Just like advice suggesting getting out of a kitchen if you can't stand the heat, you shouldn't complain about accusations of whining when they are supported by your own words that elicit the comment.

I would imagine that several people have had some excellent laughs at the way you have (either in the past or present) pronounced various words. I would go further than imagining and even bet on it because it is a simple and basic fact of life that everyone mispronounces words (even ones they are familiar with) at various times and for various reasons.

This post of yours and the one that initiated the thread are again fine examples of elements of the Drift Theory as applied to Liberals.

Collapse -
**IF** you were being petty
by MarciaB / April 29, 2005 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really.

you would comment .... etc. .... I think you just did, Dan Happy

Anyway, pettiness aside (as I stand by my previous statement), I think this book would be a good read, not only for the self-appointed word cops, but for all of us. Sounds like it would be interesting and fun:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007ZNVF4/104-0278874-1962323?v=glance

Going Nucular: Language, Politics, and Culture in Controversial Times by Geoffrey Nunberg. We're all attuned to the word games that other people try to play on us-what we have to watch out for are the ones we play on ourselves

Collapse -
If your point is to suggest that
by Dan McC / April 29, 2005 1:24 AM PDT

bush is mispronouncing nuclear on purpose I must ask you a question. Which are you more comfortable with, a president that cannot pronounce an easy word properly, or a president that intentionally mispronounces an easy word?

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That was not my point at all
by MarciaB / April 29, 2005 1:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Kerry would say IdeaRR ...
by Evie / April 29, 2005 1:43 AM PDT

... all the time. If that was a disqualifier ...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?