Question

ntoskrnl.exe threads hosted by system Idle process load 100%

Hi

I'm experiencing very annoying issue. CPU loaded with System Idle Process always. Because of that there is serious lag in iterfase. Problem appeared almost sumultaniusly on there different PCs. Using "Process Explorer" and going to System Idle Process - Threads I've found processes with names:
ntoskrnl.exe!KiDespatch Interrupt+0x650 (on one PC)
or
ntoskrnl.exe!KiCpuId+0x6a0 (on two others)

I have three diffenent machines - one old acer laptop, one modern desktop and wmware virtual machine running on macbook. All have same OS - win 7 ultimate sp1. All of them are in the same network.

I've tried to localise issue by removing services and applications from startup - nothing, I've scanned machines with microsoft security essentials, Dr Web CureIT and Kaskpersky virus removal tool. Still nothing.

CPU get loaded as soon as system starts. Number of ntoskrnl.exe instances equals to number of CPU kernels. 1, 2 and 8 in my case on different PCs .

I've been googling the whole Sunday - nothing helped. Some suggest that it is hardware related... apparently it is not as it happend to three complitely different computers.

Can' anyone suggest what else can I try?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: ntoskrnl.exe threads hosted by system Idle process load 100%
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ntoskrnl.exe threads hosted by system Idle process load 100%
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Why it happens on all machines? My guess

My guess are these machines are all run by the same owner. So they might install McAfee and Teatimer and one day with some update, it all falls down. That's just one example I encountered.

Given the slim details I can't give you any other clues.

Try Grif's scans since something odd is going on with that Cpuid.
-> http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Bob

- Collapse -
Thank you for your answer, Bob.

Yes there is two people using at different times this machines. And it is me who set them up and configure most of the times. Some buggy update for something is the very valid theory. Most of the tools and apps are the same. I also thought about that, but have not found evidence of something solid.

Thank you for links. The only thing I've found with them is some adware cookies(

I don't know how can I describe more specific.. there is no logs or something to pull. Nothing strange regarding this issue in system or app logs.

I also was looking for answers that explain what does following

ntoskrnl.exe!KiDespatch Interrupt+0x650 and
ntoskrnl.exe!KiCpuId+0x6a0

parameters are after exclamation mark?

- Collapse -
Your other post at link.
- Collapse -
when is the lag than coming from...

Ok, thank you for pointing that out. I'll keep monitoring... maybe it is something different that is wrong that causes symptoms that pushed me to look into processes in the first place.

- Collapse -
Problem

I had the same problem, but thanks to you I managed to solve it

TXC

- Collapse -
I'd try a new discussion.

It's hard to pick out what lag you are trying to tackle given the clues.

Try a new discussion with machine details and what lag. Also, some folk pop in with lag complaints but the machine they had, always did lag. It's not a fun discussion.
Bob

CNET Forums