Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

NTLDR making me lose my mind

by TONI H / March 3, 2006 12:21 AM PST

Still working on sister's XP installation. She couldn't get to the desktop after stopping the installation in order to supposedly activate XP (which it couldn't do...see other post about that), and now only got bad video. Booting with her old harddrive with the same XP on it, gives a normal screen so it's definitely because XP never finished the installation on the new drive.

However, booting with the XP cd to try to either repair or start setup again gives:

NTLDR is missing error.

I sent her DELPART to erase the partition and let us start over, but even doing that gives the same error with the bootable XP cd........so we can't even get to the repair option or start a new, clean install.

Now what?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NTLDR making me lose my mind
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NTLDR making me lose my mind
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only way
by Themisive / March 3, 2006 12:28 AM PST

That I know Toni, just put in the XP CD, let it load and re-format, then completely load the OS, if you have an antivirus suite, load that BEFORE connecting to the 'net, make sure the modem is configured properly and then away you go, activate the programme now, then make sure you get ALL the updates for MS, including SP1 & 2, also makesure yor anti-virus is updated.

At this point you should be OK to continue.

Collapse -
NTLDR
by billzhills / March 3, 2006 12:50 AM PST

Typo ? Sister stoped installstion to activate windows....

I've seen windows install to the desktop allowing me to install the needed drivers then activation. Or stop loading at the desktop stating that this copy needs activation before you can use it. I've never had to stop the installation.

If she stoped the install your error message would be expected, tho I use FDISK to remove the non-DOS partition allowing Xp to create needed partitions.

Responed to your other post and provided a screen shot of splash screen you sis will be working with.

Lotsa Luck

Bill

Collapse -
I wonder if..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 12:50 AM PST

The drive is over 127GB, the OS is indeed XP Home (no SP1 or SP2.)

Or that Windows 98 dual boot is being attempted.

Such could lead a person to spend far too much time on this.

Bob

Collapse -
No dual boot
by TONI H / March 3, 2006 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: I wonder if..

When the first activation window came up before XP was finished with the installation, she cancelled out....she got to the desktop, got ticked off because she couldn't activate it still, and then when she rebooted for some reason (totally clueless here on why she did), she got no video (just garbled colors).

She definitely has XP Home with SP2....I had her check that and read me everything she had.

Once I tried to have her reboot with the cd to get into the recovery console or at the very least reinstall XP and delay the activation until it completed the install, the NTLDR issue kept coming up.

There was no dual boot because this is a new harddrive that I was starting from scratch with.

Evidently she didn't use the delpart program correctly because it was still partitioned using NTFS when I had her put in the W98SE bootdisk and run Fdisk to display the partition information. Redid delpart and installation is going on now....

Somehow the original boot.ini or MBR record got trashed when she rebooted.

I tried to warn you guys I was dealing with an idiot....and it's an under-statement by far.

TONI

Collapse -
We remember
by chuckieu / March 3, 2006 3:06 AM PST
In reply to: No dual boot

Brain surgery over the phone. Usually in this situation, I start over. Especially with a new drive. I mean, I put in Dban and wipe the drive, or partition, completely clean. I have found the corruption is still there and getting in the way even on a reformat. MAYBE you use Fdisk to erase all partitions and start over. Sometimes that works. Good
luck. chuck

Collapse -
XP is up and running now
by TONI H / March 3, 2006 8:24 PM PST
In reply to: We remember

and she's back on the net just long enough to set up her internet (dial up modem) to make sure it's all working right. No surfing yet until we spend the day today getting her av and stuff installed.

After two days of hanging up on her due to a lousy attitude and her screaming at me, she couldn't say thank you fast enough. She really does know who she has to suck up to in order to get her computer fixed when she screws it up. lol

Turned out she didn't use the Delpart program correctly and never confirmed that the partitioning had been deleted.

What we wound up doing was using the W98SE bootdisk to create new partitions, then format them, install bare bones W98 and did the upgrade again from the desktop to XP Home. It was a whole lot simpler than beating my head on the desk anymore since she couldn't seem to follow the instructions over the phone to install XP clean like I tried to do the first time around. I hated doing it that way, but I'd never used the harddrive tools before so had to rely on her to tell me what was on the screen as we went through the steps before, and if I had to have her read me a page of instructions with options more than once, she would immediately start yelling again. She refused to recognize that I was trying to get a 'visual' at my end and if I asked her to repeat something so I could understand it better myself, she would lose her brains through the phone wires again.

Now....the only question I have left is there are some things on the old drive we will be pulling out of there soon that I would like to copy over if possible. If we boot up with the new drive and keep this one as a slave to do that, how can I know which drive is actually booting up? Would the system even boot up with two copies of XP installed on two different drives?

Thanks everybody for helping out here, explaining some stuff I didn't know answers to, and for letting me vent, if nothing else.

TONI

Collapse -
Slaved drive
by billzhills / March 3, 2006 9:49 PM PST

will normally be assigned to the next drive letter. Meaning C/primary, D/optical, E/slaved drive.

Unless you add a line to the boot.ini Xp will attempt to boot from drive 0 first partition.

Bill

Additional warning, not just for your sis .....
Built two systems with 7 in 1 card readers and failed to change BIOS boot other device/USB setting. Xp wound up assigned to drive "H".

Collapse -
If we boot up with the new drive
by jonah jones / March 3, 2006 11:28 PM PST

and keep this one as a slave to do that, how can I know which drive is actually booting up? Would the system even boot up with two copies of XP installed on two different drives?

the next reboot "should" ask "which XP install do you want to run?"

if it does, choose the first option, and IF it's the new install (she should know by the look of the desktop) the easy way is to just delete the windows directory on the slave drive

if using the first option the old disk boots up then she knows to (reboot and) choose the second option and delete windows...

jonah "been there done that" jones

Collapse -
jonah "been there done that" jones
by billzhills / March 4, 2006 12:00 AM PST

Missed that one

Thanks

Bill

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) sledge hammer time????
by Glenda / March 3, 2006 4:17 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What does the bios say about the hd's
by null. / March 3, 2006 4:30 AM PST
Collapse -
boot via the old disk
by jonah jones / March 3, 2006 10:09 PM PST

then format the new disk as a slave
reverse them, then reinstall XP

OR format the new disk via a win98 floppy

Collapse -
Toni, have you read this article?
by jonah jones / March 3, 2006 10:11 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for this info
by Glenda / March 4, 2006 1:06 AM PST

I bookmarked it for later when I am more accustomed to XP.

Collapse -
With all the headaches
by TONI H / March 4, 2006 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for this info

I get from using XP since it's so entirely different from W98, I would still prefer dealing with IT over dealing with my sister. At least XP only sits there with really dumb error messages (typical since W95 so I've gotten used to having to decipher them) or does nothing at all SILENTLY while it waits for me to get smarter. LOL

TONI

Collapse -
I wish I had never gone to XP
by Glenda / March 4, 2006 6:51 AM PST
In reply to: With all the headaches

Now I am a headache to everyone asking for help with it:( Such PITA!!

Collapse -
You're not a headache to us Glenda.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 4, 2006 6:11 PM PST

That's what we are here for, to try and help people.

However, I do think that Toni has to be an Angel in disguise. Happy

I have a, er..... friend, who regularly phones me and shouts down the line when his computer packs up under his abuse. I told him to stop being such a child the last time he did it to me and he hasn't phoned me since.

I simply don't have Toni's patience. Devil

Mark

Collapse -
Toni has immense patience.......
by Glenda / March 5, 2006 12:33 AM PST

I just wonder if anyone has any idea how much time she gives in one to one help via email?? I have never had a problem that Toni personally hasn't taken the time to solve my problem. We have some great mods in Cnet:) Thank you all for your time and effort.

Collapse -
A P.S. here.......
by Glenda / March 5, 2006 12:51 AM PST

IF you become too much of a headache, you had better watch out as Toni will send this game DXBall!!!,
to you to drive you nuts and get you addicted so you don't have time to ask questions Devil

Collapse -
Too late for me
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 5, 2006 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: A P.S. here.......

I already got it from her.

I play it often. Happy

Mark

Collapse -
IF you are above
by Glenda / March 5, 2006 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: Too late for me

5000 points I don't like you either!!!! Ask Toni about the email I sent her and what I called her Devil

Collapse -
LOL
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 5, 2006 4:05 AM PST
In reply to: IF you are above

Hi Glenda.

Add a 0, and that's where I almost am!!

49,000 points. But then, I have a lot of time to waste. <g>

Mark

Collapse -
HAHAHAH
by TONI H / March 5, 2006 4:15 AM PST
In reply to: LOL

I've been reading your messages about DXBall.....My grandkids are just as addicted to it and I put it on all their computers that I've built for them.

I actually beat the whole game once....but it never gave me the screen to put in my name so I could never prove it to anybody. LOL

TONI

Collapse -
Toni........
by Glenda / March 5, 2006 4:17 AM PST
In reply to: HAHAHAH

you are an evil woman!!! Devil LOL

Collapse -
THAT DOES IT!!!!
by Glenda / March 5, 2006 4:16 AM PST
In reply to: LOL

you and Toni are in a conspiracy to drive me crazy!!!!! ANDI didn't have that far to go in the first place Devil It is a fun game but I call it way too many names when I am playing it Wink

Collapse -
That's why Glenda.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 5, 2006 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: THAT DOES IT!!!!

You should be polite to it, then it will help you.

I don't think I will ever get through the whole game though.

I've just been playing again and it beat me every time. I swore at it!

Mark

Collapse -
OK Mark
by Glenda / March 5, 2006 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: Too late for me

I will play again and try to be nice;) A really hard thing to do Devil

Collapse -
Secret to success
by TONI H / March 5, 2006 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: OK Mark

is a trackball mouse that doesn't have to be moved around the mousepad........

TONI

Collapse -
yeah uh huh!! LOL
by Glenda / March 5, 2006 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: Secret to success

easy for you to say with your scores!! LOL I tried my track ball ans I am almost as bad with it as the regular mouse!!! Jim is over 10.000 points now and I don't like him any more either Devil

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?