Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

"NTLDR is missing"

by martinobyrne / March 16, 2005 7:51 AM PST

Hi all,

I have a triple boot of 98SE, XP Pro and Linux and had to re-install Linux, after which I get the message 'NTLDR is missing' when I try to boot into Windows. I should normally see my old dual boot windows loader but I'm getting this message instead. Win 98 is on the 'C' drive, XP on the 'D' and Linux in a partition on the 'C'.

I tried formatting the 'C' and re-installing 98 and for a while that seemed to be working, but then I tried to re-install XP by letting it overwrite the previous install as formatting the 'D' drive is not an option, all my main & back-up files are stored there. I thought that I would be returned to my dual boot menu but as soon as the XP install tried to re-boot, the message re-occoured. I tried from the recovery console typing 'fixboot' and 'fixmbr' but no joy.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'd really appreciate any help i can get 'cause I'm completely out of ideas.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "NTLDR is missing"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "NTLDR is missing"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What and where is the backup of your files?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2005 9:20 AM PST
In reply to: "NTLDR is missing"

Even a boot to Linux via your hard disk or KNOPPIX will let you copy out what you can't lose to CDRW/DVDRW. It seems the only lesson about backup is learned by losing it all.

Backup, then install your system as you see fit. Then restore from one of your backups.

BACKUPS? Yes, plural. Never trust it to have just one.

Bob

Collapse -
NTLDR still missing
by martinobyrne / March 16, 2005 11:18 PM PST

Hi Bob, Do you mean that I should thereafter format the 'D' drive as well? Could I, through Linux, delete all files and folders associated with XP as I can view the 'D' in Linux (I working through Linux now) and would that allow me to do a clean install of XP? Would that re-create the NTLDR file?

Thanks,

Martin

Dublin, Ireland

Collapse -
Either a XP install or the XP repair install may...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2005 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: NTLDR still missing

It might fix that. However, you are very much on your own with the multiple OS setup. What I suggest to such owners is to keep notes on how they created such and be ready to wipe and start over.

The problem with the XP install is it will overwrite the current boot loader. So be prepared to repair your Linux system as well.

Bob

Collapse -
Xp is now installed back
by martinobyrne / March 17, 2005 4:10 AM PST

Hi Bob,

What I suggested failed, don't know why but I found I could reinstall 98 or XP into the 'C' drive and restore the Linux bootloader. So it came down to a choice of either 98 & Linux or XP & Linux, I chose the latter, so for the moment I have 2 O.S. again. It's not possible to install 98 after XP, has to be the other way around?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Collapse -
98 after XP is possible, just not supported.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2005 4:41 AM PST
Collapse -
NTLDR
by Robert999 / March 17, 2005 1:10 PM PST

Every time I boot with a floppy in the slot I get the
NTLDR is missing

I have a compaq.

Collapse -
That would be proper operation for Robert999
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2005 9:01 PM PST
In reply to: NTLDR

I don't see there is an problem to fix.

Bob

Collapse -
problem
by b-rrad / March 28, 2005 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: "NTLDR is missing"

is there a diskette in the A: drive
and or is thw windows a installed

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?