Computer Help forum

General discussion

NTLDR is missing

by jhall49 / October 29, 2004 6:09 PM PDT

Well I am willing to give my two cents worth.

I had this exact!! same problem a week or so ago, but I it was on a Windows 98se system. So that said, it may, or may not, work for you. I just thought I would tell you how I repaired my system. It did drive me crazy for about three days.
Since windows is still windows maybe this will be of help to you.

The 'Key' for me was finding out that when I could get into F8, when windows is asking you how you want to start; ie "Safe Mode, Command Prompt. etc.( and this took many restarts for me to get into) to tell windows how I wanted to start. the key is NOT to tell it to start with Window CD 98 support, or in your case starting with Windows XP Cd rom support! The key is to tell it to start with CD ROM support only.

At this point I restarted the computer and came up with a C:/ (prompt) at which point I pointed it to the CD ROM drive letter, the letters may have changed at this point so you should try D:/ etc. Once one of them has opened, (you will see it when it happens) have your windows disk inserted in your cd rom player, and it will overlay the windows system that is already on your drive. This of course will take like a half hour but when you are done all your previous info will still be there.

I hope this works for you, and if you would like more information, or if is works, let me know, jonathan_lexy@yahoo.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NTLDR is missing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NTLDR is missing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: NTLDR is missing
by billzhills / October 30, 2004 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: NTLDR is missing

jhall,

Not to rain on your parade but....

To restore Windows 98 on your computer:

1. Insert your Windows Startup Disk into your floppy disk drive,
and then start your computer.

2. On the Boot menu, choose Start your computer with
CD-ROM support.

3. At the MS-DOS command prompt, type n:
(where N is the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive)
and then press ENTER.

4. At the MS-DOS command prompt,
type CD tools\sysrec and then press ENTER.

5. At the MS-DOS command prompt, type pcrestor
and then press ENTER.

6. Follow the instructions that appear on your screen.

This reinstalls Windows 98 on your computer. When Setup is complete, the System Recovery wizard starts.

From 98CD ->Tools\sysrec\recover.txt

As stated this procedure re-installs Windows kernel files leaving setting and files alone. BUT ONLY with the Orginal Install CD.

Collapse -
Thank you
by jhall49 / November 5, 2004 12:06 PM PST
In reply to: Re: NTLDR is missing

Bill,

Thank you for the great info! I am making a copy of it in case this ever happens to me again. My real problem turns out that my floppy drive had gone south and I couldn't access it. So I had to do a work around with just the CD.

Your advice is most welcome. Keep up the good work.

Jon

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!