General discussion

NTFS.sys corrupted or missing...

First off you should know I installed some new memory and a video card before this happened. But I have since took both out. So, here is the problem: I turn on the computer and windows won't load. It tells me that "system32/drives/ntfs.sys is corrupted or missing" I tried to run windows xp cd to repair the file but the cd won't load all the files. I've tried to load the cd a few times and it says dmboot.sys or dmio.sys and sometimes other files are corrupted and that it has to quit. The cd works fine on my other computer. any suggestions?

hp pavilion 8754c
800 pentium 3
128 ram
xp pro

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: NTFS.sys corrupted or missing...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: NTFS.sys corrupted or missing...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re:NTFS.sys corrupted or missing... The clue may be "won't load all files."

Try a CD lens cleaner, make sure the CD is free from fingerprints and then change the CD drive. They do age and your post has comments that mimic what a person would write if the CD drive was aging (and failing.)

Bob

- Collapse -
Re:NTFS.sys corrupted or missing...

Check the Resolution section of the article "Q822800" for steps to replace the file NTFS.sys.

CNET Forums