Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

NTFS from FAT32 to multiboot with XP Pro and 98SE?

by CanaryCaia / November 23, 2005 2:37 PM PST

I have an 80Gb WD-HDD with 512 Mb RAM for a P4 2.26Gb.
I understand that NTFS system is better in a lot of aspects(security,better use of space,etc,etc)but how can I multiboot with XP Pro and 98SE?
Can I formate different partitions with different files systems?
Do I need to install each OS in different partitions?
The other software(applications and so),can I install them in a 3rd partition for possible reinstallations of the OS?
Can I access every file from each one of the OS?Because if I need a FAT32 partition for files in order to be accessed by 98SE,then I?d rather leave the HDD FAT 32 as it is.
I already know I can?t use both OS to go on the internet.I have to use XP for that.
I know,they are a lot of questions but I?m sure a lot of people is wondering the same.
Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NTFS from FAT32 to multiboot with XP Pro and 98SE?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NTFS from FAT32 to multiboot with XP Pro and 98SE?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by jeniesis1 / November 23, 2005 7:04 PM PST

1. you can partition a hard drive to contain both NTFS and FAT32.

2. You can install application to a third partition.

3. win98 can only read fat32 partitions. but winxp can read both. (so you'll be able to use the files in the fat32 partition when your booted in WinXP but not vice-versa.)

How to dual-boot:
Partition your harddisk using FAT32. Install Win98SE on the first partition. after succesful installation of win98se you can now install winxp. boot from your winxp cd. follow all on-screen instructions until you're presented with the option of where you want to install winxp. choose your second partition. another option will show up where you'll be ask to format the drive or leave it as is. choose format with NTFS (quick) or just NTFS it doesn't really matter. if all goes well winxp will finishing installing and you now have a dual boot system on a dual-formatted hd. (and if you have a dual core processor and double-data-rate SDRAMs then you can call your system a ''dual everything'' Happy

note: you can only install win98se on fat and fat32. winxp on fat32 and ntfs only.

life is good.

Collapse -
Minor Addition to #2
by thought_stazi / November 23, 2005 7:52 PM PST
In reply to: answers

You can install applications onto a third partition, HOWEVER, all applications still have to be installed under each operating system (so twice), AND if you should ever reinstall one of the operating systems, the application will have to be reinstalled as well (under that operating system).

So you really don't gain anything by doing this, and potentially complicate matters more, since you might obliterate settings you make in the app if you have to reinstall it because of an issue with Win98 or XP.

Collapse -
Thanks to both of you!
by CanaryCaia / November 24, 2005 12:40 AM PST

So,what?s the gain in having multiboot? I thought of doing it because of the old software I can?t use with XP.Maybe I can do the next:do as you said,but 98SE alone in a FAT 32 partition with the 2 or 3 programs I can?t use without it and the image files.Do you both think that could be a good idea?

Collapse -
by jeniesis1 / November 24, 2005 1:00 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks to both of you!

i kinda got lost there. but just to illustrate. i had a dual boot system. 98SE and XP. i install XP on the primary partition and 98se on a 2nd partition. i had a third partition but i just use it to toss my files in. I had programs before that didn't run well in XP so i installed 98se. all of my old programs, i installed on the 98se partition (see previous post: addition to #2) and the newer one's on winxp. if i delete one of these OSes, all programs i installed on it would go as well. but XP SP2 handles older programs so well (and the fact that newer programs are better now) that i since got rid of my dual boot system.

I could tell you some advantages to a dual-boot system (such as when one OS gets corrupted you can atleast boot on another and the COOLness factor of having a dualboot system) but there are some disadvatages as well (such as disk space consumption and annoying reboot whenever you want to switch to another OS.)

now this is where i got lost: "Maybe I can do the next:do as you said,but 98SE alone in a FAT 32 partition with the 2 or 3 programs I can?t use without it and the image files."

You can always try virtualPC but that would be another discussion. Happy

Collapse -
in addition
by jeniesis1 / November 24, 2005 1:11 PM PST
In reply to: lost

you CAN use win98se to connect to the internet on a dual boot system. just not at the same time. Wink

Collapse -
Don?t be lost!
by CanaryCaia / November 29, 2005 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: lost

Thanks for the new answer.I said that you didn?t understand because the other one who answered my post said I have to install the applications for each one of the OS,so twice.And if I have to reinstall the OS then I have to reinstall the applications as well.(I thought I could install the applications in another partition.So it?s not a huge improve)That?s why I said I will install W98SE with the few applications I want to use with it in the same partition.
I know that XP has a feature which allows you to use old programs,but there are at least two I can?t replace with new ones that I can?t make run properly in XP:Escher interactive and EasyPhoto which came included with another software(I made a search and there are no new version of those,and even not a new software that do the same).
I said I have to connect to the internet with XP because a friend of mine has to do that.The technician used a small program to allow her to choose between one OS and the other but still she can?t go online with W98SE.I don?t really know why,but I guess it has something to do with the ADSL software.But if I can pass that,it?s better,right?
Thanks a lot,Jeniesis!

Collapse -
I multi-boot with 7 O.S. on one machine....
by martinobyrne / December 8, 2005 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: Don?t be lost!

Hi CanaryCaia,

I multi-boot and have seven O.S. on one machine and ALL connect to the internet (but I'm not bragging!).I would be happy to try and answer any question you would like to ask. The systems are Win 98SE/Win 2000 Pro/XP Pro plus 4 versions of Linux.

And I agree, multi-boot can be cool.....

Dublin, Ireland

Collapse -
Nice to know!
by ClaudiaWalky / December 8, 2005 10:58 AM PST

Thanks for your offer.I?m still backing up my files,and trying to partitioning and everything next week.Any question,I?ll ask you! Thanks! Hugs!

Collapse -
well then, have fun
by jeniesis1 / December 8, 2005 2:13 PM PST
In reply to: Don?t be lost!

glad to be of help.

if you followed the directions and installed 98 first before XP then you won't need a small program to choose what to boot in (you'll need a bigger one. lol). WinXP should take care of that for you.

about your friend's internet connection, yes, could well be the ADSL software. maybe its not set-up properly on her W98.

anyway, have fun and goodluck on your project! :-D

life is good.

Collapse -
by ClaudiaWalky / December 9, 2005 12:48 PM PST
In reply to: well then, have fun

I?ll tell you later how was everything!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?