Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

(NT) Reverting back to xp home edition!!!

by msiu38 / May 13, 2006 2:25 AM PDT

Ok, I'm in need of assistance. My laptop came with 98 se but I proceeded to upgrade it to xp home. I then was able to obtain a copy of xp pro. Ok well the activation failed and it is all the same to me if I am able to use my laptop again with xp home. I would use hte recovery disc except it is made for 98. I just home back so my computer does not become unusable with xp pro because I'm unable to activate. Is there anyway to revert back to xp home?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: (NT) Reverting back to xp home edition!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: (NT) Reverting back to xp home edition!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Drivers may be a problem.
by chuckieu / May 13, 2006 3:34 AM PDT

I would suggest getting the XP drivers from your laptop manufacturer. As far as installing, just put the XP disc in and it will walk through formatting and installation.
XP may pick up all of your equipment if you are lucky.
No disc? Buy one, we won't help anyone with pirated software. chuck

Collapse -
Have to start over...
by John.Wilkinson / May 13, 2006 10:26 AM PDT

The words Windows and downgrade are so incompatible that you cant use them in the same sentence. Your upgrade options are limited, but you can't downgrade, from Windows XP to Windows 98, or even XP Professional to XP Home. That leaves you with the option of wiping your drive clean (backup all of your files and data first!), then performing a fresh installation of Windows XP Home using your CD. If you have misplaced the Windows XP CD, contact Microsoft and see if they can send you a new one, for a reduced price.

Good luck.
John

P.S. When you say you 'obtained' a copy of Windows XP Professional, do you mean you purchased a copy or downloaded a pirated version off the internet? If it's the former you have options, but if it's the latter, well, too bad.

Collapse -
Ok I understand
by msiu38 / May 13, 2006 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Have to start over...

That makes sence. Isn't there a way though in which you are able to have both os one system. If so everytime I will just boot it with home edition because I have purchased the new xp home edition disc? The only regret I have about reformatting the hard drive is I have microsoft office suite installed on the computer and can't reinstall it because it came preinstalled when I had purchased the machine. I know you can back up files but is there any way to back up programs or transfer them?

Collapse -
Options...
by John.Wilkinson / May 13, 2006 3:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok I understand

Yes, you can dual-boot operating systems, which is where you have two installed at the same time. I have three myself and switch between them often. For information on this, check out Cnet's Guide to Dual-booting.

However, that will not solve your problem with Windows XP Professional. The way I understood it, you has Windows 98, upgraded it to XP Home, then upgraded it again to XP Pro, the last time with a pirated version. At this point if you want to go back to 98 or XP Home you have to reformat and start over...no way around it.

By design, you cannot simply copy Microsoft Office over...it's an anti-piracy feature, forcing you to reinstall it from CD every time.

My suggestion would be to use your Windows 98 recovery CDs to go back to the original setup, then use a legal copy of Windows XP (be it Home or Pro) to upgrade. That will leave you with MS Office installed, but still the new OS and avoid the trouble of dual-booting. Just make sure you backup all of your data before you reformat.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Dual booting
by msiu38 / May 14, 2006 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Options...

Quick question as far as dual booting though. Ok well since it is almost impossible to downgrade from xp pro except with the recovery disc, my idea was to just leave xp pro on the computer and then install xp home because xp pro had to be activated. My question is, are the progams that are run on one os, can they be run the other, like run my old programs on xp home off pro, because i am not able to reach pro, due to activation?

Collapse -
Most likely no.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 14, 2006 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Dual booting

The problem is, although you will be able to access files and data from the failed XP Pro edition whilst logged into the XP Home partition, you will not be able to use any of the programs installed within the XP Pro partition.

Windows uses a file called the Registry extensively. Everytime you install, uninstall, add, delete or change anything in Windows, the registry is updated. Whenever you open any program, the registry is accessed first.

But with a dual boot system, the XP Pro registry and XP Home registry will be different and not transferable.

You will perhaps be able to physically find, and transfer over, all of the Office Suite files, but you will not be able to use them. If you try and transfer over the registry file, either to replace the XP Home registry or integrate into it, you will crash the XP Home system.

I'm sorry. Are you absolutely sure that this Win 98 computer did not come with any CD's? It would have been unusual for the time if a retail PC did not come with any disks.

Mark

Collapse -
Thx John, now I know where Microsoft Office 200 went!!
by DarCLew2 / May 16, 2006 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Options...

My Tower had WIN98 and a lot of components, it was updated to WIN98SE, to WINME and to WINXP Home. Don't know if it was added in after or on the CD. One was added in for it came on a separate CD. Darrell

Collapse -
You wrote
by glb613 / May 13, 2006 9:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok I understand

''I have microsoft office suite installed on the computer and can't reinstall it because it came preinstalled when I had purchased the machine.''

Do you still have your original installation disks that came with the computer? At one time, manufacturers included the installation disks for all factory installed software. Since your computer is old(Windows 98), you may have them and not know it.

Which version of Office?

Collapse -
Ok
by msiu38 / May 14, 2006 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: You wrote

Just for everybody's info, I did not steal or obtain a pirated copy of xp pro. I friend my mine received a LEGAL copy for her computer but there was compatibility issue so since she couldn't use it she let me have it. Well the copy she had receied had already been registered which was unknown to me. I did purchase a copy of xp home which i will upgrade to after using the recovery disc to revert back to 98. The computer did not come with discs of the original ms office 2000 software. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not a thief!

Collapse -
Microsoft might help
by Merl Priester / May 16, 2006 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok

If you have a real hologram CD and product COA sticker, call Microsoft about activation, they probably will give you the code.

If the copy you have is from a major manufacturer such as Dell and it was sold separately from the PC then you would be out of luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.